Using 220 film, advice???

stephen_komp

<p>Hi Everyone -</p>

<p>I realize this has been discussed on various posts, but I can't seem to find definite answers. Before I spend the money, I'm hoping for some advice.</p>

<p>I have a lot of Tri-X 220 film that I've stockpiled and would like to use. I have a Kiev-60 with an 80mm Biometar lens that I love. I want to use the lens AND be able to shoot 220 film. I've heard that ARAX cameras will not accept Hasselblad backs. I heard the Hartblei 1600M does.<br>

My goal is to pick up a reliable Hasselblad 220 back to use with a camera that will take it - and use my 80mm lens.<br>

Can anyone share their experiences and offer some help with this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance - Steve</p>

<p>Just curious Stephen, what's so special about the 80mm Biometar lens? I was thinking of picking up a Hartblei, and probably a complete kit in stead of body only. ...(because I'm thinking of a shift lens)<br>

What's the distortion like? Do you get any barrel at the edges?<br>

Thanks, Jenny.</p>

<p>A kiev 6C will shoot 220 film, the 60 will not.</p>

<p>"Old Style" Kiev-88 backs can be used with 220 film - there are instructions on the Kievaholics web site. If course it's not an exact science - you have to compensate for frame spacing.</p>

<p>As for the 80mm Biometar lens - it's a great lens, but not much better than the new Arsat 80mm MC's. If you're going out of your way to shoot with that lens because the results will be spectacular, I wouldn't. You're probably better off buying a camera that is designed to handle 220 film and not waste film because you're messing with a system that wasn't build for 220.</p>

<p>However, if you have your heart set on shooting 220 with that lens, here's some options:</p>

<p>1) get a mamiya 645, a mamiya-pentacon 6 adapter, and a 220 insert for the film back (this is probably the most trouble-free route)<br>

2) get a Kiev-6C<br>

3) get a Kiev-88 system with old style film backs and monkey with it</p>

<p>problem with Pentacon 6 lens mount is that due to its design, it cannot be adapted to most 6x6 systems because it ends up too far from the film plane. However, if you don't mind shooting 6x4.5, you can adapt that lens to several cameras that will accept 220 film (but you'll lose auto aperture).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Old Style" Kiev-88 backs can be used with 220 film - there are instructions on the Kievaholics web site. If course it's not an exact science - you have to compensate for frame spacing.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do I understand you correctly assuming you refere to the old style (= not NT) backs <strong>for 120 film</strong> ? I can't find anything about this on Kievaholics.</p>

<p>Eugen</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>

<p>It looks like the cheapest solution to getting a camera that will use both an 80mm Biometar lens and 220 film is to get a (good) Kiev 6C. I have two (6x6 & 645) and I find mine to be reliable.<br>

Here’s a report (<a href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kievreport/messages?msg=8401.3">http://forums.delphiforums.com/kievreport/messages?msg=8401.3</a>) on <strong>The Kiev Report</strong> about 220 film, and links to someone successfully using 220 film in a Kiev 60 by adding tape to the film take-up spool so that the film spacing would be correct, and then counting the frames.<br>

It seems that technically this should work, but the cost of 220 film makes experimentation potentially expensive.</p>

<p>

<p>I think that Arax used to sell 220 backs for their upgraded K-88s, but that was 2 or 3 years ago. I do not see them now, and no one seems to be selling them.</p>

</p>

</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<p>If you want to go on with Kiev gear, my advice will be to get a Kiev88 CM or any Hasselbladsky with P6 mount, and get a Hasselblad 220 back.<br>

There is not much to do to adapt them on russian bodies, just need a knife, a screwdriver, and a pinch, even a driller might be useful for some later ones.<br>

Avoid buying a Hartblei modded for blad backs, because you'll only be able to use blad backs or modded Kiev NT backs, what can be spending extra money or time consuming to find.</p>

• 6 years later...

<p>I have added my findings about kiev 60 on kievreports-delphiforums. its about the differences between psix and kiev 60. new lens-mount-ring so all psix-stuff is working. and different camera-strap.<br>

also reflexions about film-flatness and 220. thanks for the tip here. will try it out. also joining 2x 120 to get 29 images or 28.</p>