13x19 - why no frames?

<p>So I bought a 13x19 printer (C anon Pixma Pro 9500).</p>

<p>Most of the 'large' paper out there is 13x19". All the printers (Canon, Epson) do this size as the 'standard large size'. All the stores carry 13x19 paper.</p>

<p>But none of the stores (art supplies, photography, etc) carry frames. "That size do not exist", they say, insisting that the only sizes are the old darkroom sizes (eg 8x10).</p>

<p>What gives? If the whole world is buying Canon/Epson printers and paper, is no-one framing their prints? Surely that cannot be the case?</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>"But none of the stores (art supplies, photography, etc) carry frames. "That size do not exist", they say, insisting that the only sizes are the old darkroom sizes (eg 8x10)."</p>

<p>I can't speak directly about the stores in your area but I have found and purchased numerous frames at both Aaron Brothers and Michael's sized 18 x 24 (correct aspect ratio for a 13 x 19 photograph with exactly 3 inches of matting on each side). The catch to this is that you have to matte your photographs or you have to affix them centered on a background media. The other option is to purchase the rails (available in every inch increment from about 2 inches to 48 inches) and assemble your own frame. You'll have to get the glass cut but that's cheap, depending on the glass you choose.</p>

<p>Well, when I go into stores (like Michael's and Henry's yesterday) and ask for any frame (with mat, without mat, whatever) that is intended to take 13x19, they all say "that size does not exist". The frame guy at Michael's (which has a very large selection of frames and mats) said "you have to have that custom made". This seems weird - the pro printers churning out prints at a size no-one can take.</p>

<p>Is that what everyone does? I mean the tens of thousands of people who buy the 13x19 paper that is sold everywhere - they all have expensive custom frames made or buy mail order and pay shipping from far away? Amazing market inconsistency.. I am still half thinking there must be something simple I am overlooking?</p>

<p>You see,<em> I</em> don't care what it costs. But my customers do. Ontario is <em>very</em> cost-conscious. $20 is too much for a frame, that sort of thing. Well, when $20 is the shipping, it stands to reason that the frame is a multitude of that, and I will not make many sales.</p>

<p>Call me crazy: I don't know anything about frames, frame pairs, aluminum, matting... all I want is for me to walk into a store and walk out with frames that will contain one sheet of 13x19 or 8.5x11 paper. Seems the industry has some way to go before people start printing much: this has already cost me more hours (taking away from billable hours) than it's worth. :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is that what everyone does? I mean the tens of thousands of people who buy the 13x19 paper that is sold everywhere - they all have expensive custom frames made or buy mail order and pay shipping from far away?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>

<p>You haven't read the posts. Of course we don't use expensive custom mats and frames. You print to your mat. Most people print up to and including 12x18 on their 13x19 paper. I don't know of anyone that prints full-bleed on 13x19, and if you did, you'd have a tough time fitting a mat to it.</p>

<p>Start with researching which common mat you wish for, then crop your image to it, and print. I add 0. 250" to the width and length so I have an 1/8" on each edge and not struggling with hinge tape when mounting the print to the mat.</p>

</p>

<p><br /></p>

<p>You see, I am ignorant. All I know is, I walk into all these places with my 13x19 prints and ask "do you have anything I can mount this in", and they keep saying "no, that is an odd size".</p>

<p>I know nothing about aluminum, mats, or frames: whatever it is called, I just want them to sell me something I can take home and use to mount the print.</p>

<p>I guess that was an unrealistic expectation so I will now be googling mats and so on...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Garrison: I don't even know what a mat is. I assume it is the bevelled cardboard that goes between the glass and the print. But does that fit in ANY frame? Surely not. (As you see, I am an innocent. I thought knowing about photography would be enough - silly me.)</p>

<p>Lambert, others: many thanks for your responses. Once I find out what mats are and how they fit in frames, and what size frames I should buy to contain these mats, and how I fit the prints into (or behind?) the mats, I will be buying lots of them.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Before you start buying, find someone in your area who mounts photos. That person can show you what you would be getting in terms of finished size(s). Only after you decide what color and size mat to use will you know what precise frame size to ask for. It is both simple and complicated, but not hard at all if you will start with a pro who does matting and framing for a living. The expense will drop off as you learn more yourself. You might wind up learning to custom cut and mat your own photos so that you can mount to frames that are readily available. Some even learn to make their own frames to size. Most people do not, but it is an option.</p>

<p>This is a major step, so do not expect to do anything at all like mass production right away--if ever. You might also go to arts and crafts festivals and see what others are doing--and ask them how to get started.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Ah, so a 13x19 print would use a 12x18 mat, meaning 12x18 on the inside and, say, 16x20 on th eoutside to fit a 16x20 frame? So I should not print full size 13x19? That is OK since the art paper prints on my Pixma pro 9500 with a compulsory border... but the mat would have to be slightly smaller than the print, yes?. Whew. Complicated stuff. Do I detect a market opportunity for people who make it simple? :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Michael: I realize you're in Canada... but visit AmericanFrame.com, where you can use their interactive mat and frame simulator widgets to see how various sizes (of frame, mat, and window) can look as you fiddle with them. Don't forget that you also have to tackle the issue of getting your print to hang cleanly inside the frame and mounting. It's not Elmer's Glue that you use!<br /><br />One of the things you're going to want to get your head around is your choice of materials, and how they relate to the longevity of the print. Acid-free materials will preserve the print for longer. You also need to think about what sort of glass or acrylic is going to go in front of the print. Lots to think through. That web site will help you see a typical vendor's options. </p>