Unoffical Vista X64 driver of LS-8000ED/9000ED for Nikon Scan 4.03

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=3995956">Mauro</a>, apparently, it is the problem of driver files, Windows can't find them. Please double check the files.<br>

Jerry, congratulation, you found your way finally, thanks for sharing with us. VueScan driver should support most USB scanners, but its support to SCSI/1394 devices is poor, that's what I want to help with this post.<br>

<br /></p>

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
<p>It doesn't work with XP 64 bit simply because Nikonscan 4.03 can't be installed. I suppose it's a 32 bit installer that won't launch on XP 64 bit. anyone tried it with XP 64 bit?</p>

<p>I could get the program to work by going to program compatability wizard. BUT I don't recomend it. I cot blue screen of death if the scanner was connected (and installed as above). Also have not found a way of uninstalling... due to the installation wizard issue as discribed.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>If you want to try it on XP 64, please install NS 4.02 instead, 4.03 was developed for Vista compatibility, I believe there is no much functional differentiation between these two versions.<br>

I have heard one successful story about 9000ED on Windows 7 X64, but it is not guaranteed.<br>

Personally, I didn't see any problems in my system, but we knew each one's situation is different, there could be hardware conflicts, software conflicts, malicious ware impacts, etc. So, please take your own risk while following my suggestions.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>Merci beaucoup pour cette solution. Cela fonctionne très bien avec un 9000ED sous Vista x64 SP1. Vous méritez une médaille, Steel Chn ! J'espère que le passage de Vista à Windows 7 posera moins de problèmes !<br>

Thanks a lot for this fix. It works well with a 9000ED on Vista x64 SP1. You deserve a medal, Steel chn ! I hope that the upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 will not make so much problems !<br>

Michel CADART</p>

<p>Awesome. I was having some trouble with the process outlined as I'd already installed Vuescan long ago with accompanying driver and each time I uninstalled the "firewire scanner" through the device manager and rebooted it popped right back up.</p>

<p>Got it working by choosing Action > Add legacy hardware from the device manager menu and walked through the wizard, choosing the coolscan 9000. After that I had both devices listed - "firewire scanner" and the coolscan but the latter had a [!] (device cannot start) error. I again uninstalled the "firewire scanner" then turned off and on the scanner which gave me two copies of the "9000" listed - one working and the other with the error remaining. Removed the errored duplicate and the nikon driver is working fine for my 9000 on vista 64 sp2.</p>

<p>Thanks a bunch for this!</p>

<p>You beauty Steel!</p>

<p>Just wanted to say a big "thank you" for posting this. My 9000 works fine with Vista 64 SP2.<br>

(Note: Obvious really but you need to connect your scanner and power up before it will appear in the Device Manager... I didn't do this initially).</p>

<p>Adey</p>

<p>hey i just registered to let you know that if you copy the line from <br>

[Models]<br /> "Nikon LS-50" = USBScanner,USB\Vid_04b0&Pid_4001<br>

down to <br>

[Models.ntamd64]<br />"Nikon LS-50" = USBScanner,USB\Vid_04b0&Pid_4001 <br>

it will make the coolscan V ED work in windows 7 RTM 64 bit. i assume that any of the scanners listed in the [Models] moved down to [Models.ntamd64] will enable them to work in either vista x64 or windows 7 x64 (the USB ones anyhow). this is a huge win for me as i was fearing i was going to have to setup xp mode and jump through hoops to get it working!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Following up on my own post, I can confirm that Vuescan works as well, at least for simple scans. Now I have to copy over all my various *.ini files for all my film types, and the associated color target data, and see if all of that works correctly. It should, since all of that is internal to Vuescan. <br>

Thanks, Steel.<br>

materialsguy</p>

<p>Another follow-up to my own post ;-<br>

I have the LS-5000 and the LS-9000 both running on Windows 7 x64 RTM. I had to make a small edit to Steel's ini file, copying the LS-5000 into the [Models.ntamd64] section as follows:<br>

[Models.ntamd64]<br />; USB scanners<br />"Nikon LS-10" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNikon___COOLSCAN________<br />"Nikon LS-20" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNIKON___COOLSCAN_II_____<br />"Nikon LS-1000" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNIKON___LS-1000_________<br />"Nikon LS-30" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNIKON___COOLSCANIII_____<br />"Nikon LS-2000" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNIKON___LS-2000_________<br />"Nikon LS-5000" = USBScanner,USB\Vid_04b0&Pid_4002<br />; Other SCSI Scanners (type 6)<br />"SCSI Scanner" = SCSIScanner,GenScanner<br />"SCSI Scanner" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\GenScanner<br />; Firewire scanners<br />"Firewire Scanner" = SBP2Scanner,SBP2\GenScanner<br />"Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 8000 ED" = SBP2Scanner_NIKON,SBP2\NIKON___&LS-8000_ED______&CMDSETID104D8<br />"Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 9000 ED" = SBP2Scanner_NIKON,SBP2\NIKON___&LS-9000_ED______&CMDSETID104D8<br>

Otherwise, windows would not install the driver. With that change, the LS-5000 driver installed correctly. Both Vuescan and Nikonscan are working correctly, although I am still testing some of the more complicated batch scanning setups.</p>

<p>materialsguy</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi,<br>

I had the same problem. If you read my post just above, you will see that you need to edit Steel's scanner.inf file, changing it to include the 5000ED information in a second section [Models.ntamd64]<br>

After you do this, Vista should recognize the 5000ED. Now, I did not do this with Visat x64, but with Windows 7 x64, but I Vista would work as well.</p>

<p>materialsguy</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

Just follow Steel's instructions as he gave in the first post up to and including Step 2. Then make a copy of his Scanners.inf file (just in case). Call it Scanners.old or some such name. <br>

Then copy and paste this line (including the quote at the beginning):<br>

"Nikon LS-5000" = USBScanner,USB\Vid_04b0&Pid_4002<br>

From the [Models] section to the [Models.ntamd64] section, just I have shown above. Just paste it after the LS-2000 line entry (as shown in my post), and then save this file as Scanners.inf.<br>

Then continue with Steel's instructions Step 3 and Step 4, and Windows will correctly identify the LS-5000ED driver when you do the update step.<br>

I hope this helps.<br>

-materialsguy</p>

<p>Fantastic !<br />This worked for me using a Nikon 4000ED, connected via a firewire cable thru a 1394 Express Card to a Dell Studio 1555 with Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP1 with an SP3 update.<br />The .inf file as written by Steel Chn, including the line for the 4000ED, can also now be downloaded from <a href="http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/coolscan-vista-64.html">http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/coolscan-vista-64.html</a><br />Much credit to Steel Chn !</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>This is absolutely brilliant - only just found it. It worked a treat on Vista 64 with 9000ED. Nice to have Nikon Scan back again. Thanks very much - I found Nikon less than helpful on the matter when I corresponded with them politely pointing out their responsibilities to their customers especially with such an expensive item. </p>