Unoffical Vista X64 driver of LS-8000ED/9000ED for Nikon Scan 4.03

<p>I, too, want to thank you for your work. After 1 failed attempt due to some confusion reading the almost too much help extra information and comments, I got my new Coolscan 5000ED to load and run with Nikon Scan 4.0.3 under Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate without a single hiccup thus far.<br>

My initial confusion and failure was caused by seeing so much discussion about using VueScan drivers when none are needed at all - except for your modified scanners.inf file which you say came from the VueScan install. I also did not yet see unilt later the additional addiitonal changes to the scanner.inf regarding the LS-5000 for 64-bit.<br>

Since I used Acronis Try Mode, I was able to reset my CPU back to before the 1st attempt. For those who also might be confused by all the many comments, here is what I did for my Coolscan 5000 with Nikon 4.0.3 under Windows 7 64-bit.</p>

<ol>

<li>Turned off scanner.</li>

<li>Did complete normal install of Nikon Scan 4.0.03</li>

<li>Reboot computer.</li>

<li>Created folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon\Driver\ScanFudge". The folder location is not important but my location nicely sits next to the two standard driver folders already there.</li>

<li>Copied and saved Steel's fantastic "scanners.inf" file to that folder.</li>

<li>Edited Steel's INF file to copy the "LS-5000" line in [Models] section to the [Models.ntamd64] section for 64-bit operation.</li>

<li>Copied the Nikon driver file (NKScnUSD.dll) from the adjacent ScanUSB folder. There is also an identical copy of the same driver file in the Scan1394. I verified that with a boinary compare so it doesn't matter which one you copy.</li>

<li>Turned on scanner.</li>

<li>Windows 7 complained about not finding a driver. Canceled that error dialog.</li>

<li>Opened Device Manager</li>

<li>Right clicked the LS-5000 devices now shown as uninstalled under devices.</li>

<li>Requested to browse for driver.</li>

<li>Pointed to my new folder.</li>

<li>Voila! Windows happily installed the new driver.</li>

<li>Started Nikon Scan and away I wernt. Now very happy!</li>

</ol>

<p>Thanks, Steel. I am a happy camper.</p>

<p>I then moidified the scanners.inf file, as several explained, to coadd the LS-, everything,</p>

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<ol>

<li>Ignore the last line of my last response. It was edit garbage.</li>

<li>Steel? I noticed several other beneficial addendums to your famous scanners.inf customization that add 64bit support of some scanners that were not already in the 64bit section (and 1394?). I think it would be very beneficial to the world if you or someone else who is more familiar with the details than I am if they could update scanners.inf to include all those changes noted in this forum thus far so it works with all Nikon scanners. I am a newbie here and only have the 5000ED under Windows 7x64 via USB. Since Nikon is not producing any new models, it would be a logical and final step to take.</li>

<li>Thanks again to you and everyone else here. After happily and madly testing my 5000ED under Windows 7 for 2 days of near-continuous use, it has not hiccupped once (knock on wood) and the scans are beyond epectations!</li>

<li>Ps. I am finding that the 5000-ED is quiet LOUD (like an MRI machine) when doing an initial (or redraw) preview scan. But, both pleasantly and unexpectedly, it is VERY quiet and FAST doing a final 16x multi-sample 4k dpi scan! Just a few minutes! I wondered if others found that. </li>

</ol>

<p>I just wanted to add my appreciation for this contribution by <a href="/photodb/user?user_id=4781943">Steel Chn</a>. Thanks to him and the others participating in this dialogue, my Nikon Coolscan IV ED/Nikon Scan 4 is working with my Windows 7 64 bit OS. I can't understand Nikon's seeming lack of support in this area, but am grateful to users/forums like this that allow me to continue using "legacy" hardware!</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>@ Xavier Roch:<br>

this way (step 1 to 4 incl. the modified steel-driver) works too for Windows 7 professional x64 AND the <strong>feeder unit SF-210</strong> ! There is still some problem at the startup (nikonscan doesn't always recognize the LS 5000 with the SF-210). I simply took out the SF-210, inserted it again. After this it worked.<br>

It remains some problem with scanner plus unit after switching the scanner off. But after a restart of nicoscan / and or the scanner it works again.<br>

Not 100 perfect but better than having a complete Windows XP on a virtual machine just because of one single scanner.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>here is my small contribution, first of all thanks for this job, it allows me to make my CoolScan (LS 50) work with Win7 64b. Just one point, I had to follow <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=5346921">William LaPree</a> advice:</p>

<p><em><strong>hey i just registered to let you know that if you copy the line from<br /> [Models]<br /> "Nikon LS-50" = USBScanner,USB\Vid_04b0&Pid_4001<br /> down to <br /> [Models.ntamd64]<br /> "Nikon LS-50" = USBScanner,USB\Vid_04b0&Pid_4001 </strong> </em><br>

<em><strong>it will make the coolscan V ED work in windows 7 RTM 64 bit. i assume that any of the scanners listed in the [Models] moved down to [Models.ntamd64] will enable them to work in either vista x64 or windows 7 x64 (the USB ones anyhow). this is a huge win for me as i was fearing i was going to have to setup xp mode and jump through hoops to get it working!</strong> </em></p>

<p>Without that modification Windows won't find the file for upgrading the soft, when done then it works fine.</p>

<p>THX</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Following your instructions I managed to get Vista x64 and my coolscan 9000 working with no problems.<br>

Thank you so much, I can now run my scanner on my high power x64 PC. Nikon surely should have done this customer support with minimal effort to themselves.....</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

Due to Steel Chn driver, my Coolscan 9000ED worked fine on Windows7 x64 till today.<br>

I mean that the last time I used it, 2 months ago, it was fine, and today, without any change to Nikon Scan nor to my driver, I cannot get a scan anymore. When I run Nikon Scan, at first, I get a message : "Please remove the flim holder and click OK to try again". After a few try, reset, on/off on the scan, ... I manage to get my film thumbnails in Nikon Scan, but when I scan it, I get views with only thin black and white stripes and no picture. I searched with Google, I didn't find anything to help me. I downloaded Vuescan and manage to get a scan with it, so it isn't a hardware issue. I uninstalled Nikon Scan and the driver, reboot and installed it again, it didn't fix the problem.<br>

Any idea ?<br>

Thanks a lot if somebody can help me.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

Many people contributing to this thread have these scanners working under Windows 7. But if you mean is Nikon working on a solution, the answer is no, as follows:</p>

<p>"Can I use my Nikon Scanner with Windows 7, Leopard, Snow Leopard, or a 64-bit operating system? </p>

<p id="rn_solution"><th id="label__14" > </th>

<td id="content__14" > </td>

The use of Nikon Scan software with Windows 7 (any version), or Mac OS 10.5.x or later, or any 64- bit operating system (including 64-bit, 32-bit or Compatibility mode) is not supported.<br>

We suggest trying a third party software option such as Vuescan from Hamrick.com or Silverfast software."</p>

<p>materialsguy</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>My thanks to Steel Chn as well. I had some problems with Vista 64, the scanner occasionally would hang. I used a similar scanner.inf file to enable the Minotla 5400 as well<br>

I recently installed Windows 7 (64) and both scanners installed using Steel's file. <br>

However, I'm curious if anyone has used either scanner in XP mode on 7 using the Nikon and Minolta supplied drivers, seems that it could avoid some of the issues reported above.</p>

<p>Tom</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Got a new 9000 ED and installed the newest version of Nikon Scan on my Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit. It seemed to work fine out of the box, but I went ahead and installed the above driver and that works fine too. So far I've only run a half dozen scans, but it works quite well!<br>

Thanks Steve for the driver and Alex, I followed your checklist too.<br>

I did download the latest version of SilverFast and was impressed that I could pick my film type and it did change the appearance of the scan. But I actually thought the NikonScan did a better job in preserving shadow details. And I'm really not impressed with the Silverfast price tag!<br>

Kevin</p>

<p>Thanks to all, especially Steel Chn. I got my Coolscan V operating on Win7 Professional 64 bit. There are some key posts to getting it working.<br>

First Steel's post of Jan. 2, 2009, followed by his second on Apr. 28, 2009 or Dim K's on Nov. 8, 2009. Lastly and the one for my scanner is Willian LaPree's on Nov. 8, 2009.<br>

Thanks again to everyone.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Steel,<br>

Let me add my sincere thanks to you for posting this information.<br>

Worked like a charm on a Vista 64 bit with a Super Coolscan 9000 ED.<br>

Now I can blow away my Alternate Vista-32 bit boot and simplify my workflow significantly.<br>

Its a great scanner but I really dislike Nikon's handling of this.</p>

<p>Anyway, you have done me a great service and it is much appreciated.</p>

<p>Joel</p>

<p>Hi Steel,<br>

I'm trying to get my LS-30 to work on a 32-bit Windows 7 system. I use an Adaptec 2906 card and have tried their XP, Vista and 7 drivers along with different versions of ASPI. Vuescan cannot find my scanner even after loading the drivers as per Hamrick's instructions. However, the scanner does work great in Ubuntu 10.04 with Vuescan, but I'd rather not have to dual boot to use Photoshop. I was wondering if changing the line "%Mfg%=Models,ntamd64" to "%Mfg%=Models,ntamd86" would make your file usable on my system.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Ricardo</p>

<p>Hi Ricardo,<br>

I am running VueScan 8.6.34 on W7 32bit (Old drivers option answered with YES) and using my old LS-1000 and LS-2000 as well as the newer LS-5000 without a problem so far. After that was running fine, I tried to install NikonScan, but the 4.03 version I used come up with an error message during the INSTALL-process. Maybe I have to follow Steel Chn's advice given for the x64 version to uninstall VueScan, then install Nikon Scan, then reinstalll VueScan. But that is not an urgent issue to me.<br>

Steel, thanks a ton for your fine work to get the LS-4000 and other scanners to work with x64 Vista, makes me feel optimistic to use W 7 x64 (which I throw out to be able to use scanners).<br>

Regards,<br>

Gerald</p>

<p>Hi Ricardo,<br>

sorry, being a first time replier I had to register first and after all that jazz I forgot to write half of my intended reply. I have tried the Adaptec SCSI-cards 2940/2940W, 2940U/2940UW (32bit-driver aic78xx_aic78u2_win7_2k8r2_x86_v605457.exe) and 29160N (32bit driver u160_w7_ws08r2_x86_drv_b7_5_645_100.exe) all with their W7 drivers from the Adaptec page (downloaded the driver a few days back). Their used to be an Adaptec 2904 and an 2940S6, but for those I could not find a W7 driver. So maybe you should go for a 2940U or 2940W or a newer SCSI card for which you find a driver on the adaptec website.<br>

With VueScan you also do not need the ASPI drivers like you do for NikonScan, quite important, since Adaptec does not supply ASPI drivers for Vista or Windows 7 anymore.<br>

Hope that helps a bit.<br>

Regards,<br>

Gerald</p>

<p>Hi Gerald,<br>

I tried both the Adaptec W7 and Vista drivers before but without any luck. However, I hadn't realized that not only did I need to unzip the files, but that I manually had to go to Device Manager and point the SCSI controller in the right direction. When I did that the drivers were installed and I got a pop-up message saying that my LS-30 was installed and ready to go. I just made my first scan in Windows with Vuescan. Now I need to work on getting Nikon Scan 3.1.2 up and running on Windows 7.<br>

Thanks!<br>

Ricardo</p>

<p>Hi Ricardo,<br>

I did some looking about for ASPI drivers. Some people wrote that the Adaptec ASPI driver V4-7-2-a2 should work on Vista and W7. Someone mentioned a ForceASPI for his CD-ROM device and some sound-software, but I have not looked into it. Should you get the LS-30 to work with NikonScan then please tell us on this thread as well, would be interesting to others and to LS-2000 (maybe even LS-1000) users.<br>

Regards,<br>

Gerald</p>

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

<p>Hi Brad,<br>

the NikonScan 4.0.3 will install on Windows 7 Ultimate and work OK, at least it does with me. Do not forget to first uninstall any other Nikon-Scan versions you might have installed on a testbasis, otherwise you get an install-time-error (on the Nikon website and on some Nikon-CDs you find the uninstall-pgms for the related NikonScan version). <br>

Good luck,<br>

Gerald</p>