Unoffical Vista X64 driver of LS-8000ED/9000ED for Nikon Scan 4.03

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I just found this thread. This is really excellent. I'm looking at a Coolscan 8000/9000 and want to run it with my Vista 64 i7 machine.<br>

Can anyone comment improvements to scanning speed? Have scan times gone down with the 64-bit OSes and quad cores? Thank you!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi, thanks for your tip! It was no real help for me, but I faced similar problem and I'm glad someone got through.<br>

My challenge was using Nikon Scan 4.02 with <strong>Windows XP Professional x64</strong>. I did not find any hints, unlike for Vista x64, on the Internet. I was ready to bother myself with VMWare, but (luckily?) it failed with BSOD in guest OS (Windows XP 32-bit) USB driver.<br>

I hat no choice, so I followed the pattern proposed for Vista:</p>

<ol>

<li>install a demo version of an application which incorporates 64-bit drivers for my Nikon Coolscan V ED (like SilverFast or VueScan)</li>

<li>install Nikon Scan 4 without drivers on top</li>

<li>enjoy</li>

</ol>

<p>Unfortunately Nikon Scan 4 (non of 4.00, 4.02 or 4.03) won't install on Windows XP x64. "Nikon Scan 4 does not run on this operating system" it sais.<br>

The <strong>solution</strong> is install Nikon Scan 4 on 32-bit OS and then just copy the software.<br>

So adjusted pattern is:</p>

<ol>

<li>install a demo version of an application which incorporates 64-bit drivers for my Nikon Coolscan V ED (e.g. download <strong>SilverFast Ai IT8</strong> from <a href="http://www.silverfast.com/get_demo/en.html?product=447">http://www.silverfast.com/get_demo/en.html?product=447</a>)</li>

<li>install Nikon Scan 4 on 32-bit OS und update to 4.02</li>

<li>copy folders from 32-bit Windows onto your x64<br /><strong>C:\Program Files\Nikon<br />C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nikon<br />C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon</strong> (it's missing on 32-bit, copy it from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nikon)<br /><strong>C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\Nikon</strong></li>

<li>don't forget to ENJOY!</li>

</ol>

<p>I do enjoy now because this incapability of Nikon Software was the pain in my a... for all these years. You can imagine how happy I am now :-)<br>

Blame on Nikon software engineers who don't care of any solution while they do have 64-bit drivers (SilverFast claims to use standard drivers from Nikon) and the software itself runs on 64-bit just perfect.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>First of all a big thanks to Steel Chn!<br>

my vista x64 and nikon 9000 worked fine together almost half a year and yesterday i made the upgrade to Windows 7 x64 - so the driver have to be reinstalled with Win 7.<br>

<strong><em>Imoprtand remark for all of those who could not make the windows see yours scanners.inf and NKScnUSD.dll</em></strong><br>

take and copy any inf. file which is in your windows inf directory to the place where you want to place your scanners.inf and NKScnUSD.dll files, then rename your taken and copied inf file to scanners.inf and open it and replace all contend with the data which provided Steel Chn (see first post) - so now you have right scanners.inf type file with setup information and now windows will see it and installs the initial driver. My Nikon 9000 works fine with win 7 x64. Again many thanks to Steel Chn!<br>

<a href="../digital-darkroom-forum/00Ryck"></a></p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>No luck for me. Trying to install on new, clean install of Windows-7 64 bit.<br>

Downloaded ns403en_vista.exe from Nikon site. Ran installation file.<br>

I used Steel's procedure just as described (with the added line under Firewire scanners specifying Super Coolscan 4000 ED.) When I request (in Device Manager) 'update driver' the process runs, installs NikonScan and places the program in my Start Menu. Device Manager now shows 'Firewire scanner' installed and Properties declares the device is working properly. When I look under driver details, only 2 files are listed: ksthunk.sys & sciscan.sys.<br>

However when I start NikonScan the program states that "Nikon Scan was unable to find any active device" Turning the scanner off and on again (as suggested in readme file) was no help.<br>

Anyone got any ideas?</p>

<p>No luck for me. Trying to install on new, clean install of Windows-7 64 bit.<br>

Downloaded ns403en_vista.exe from Nikon site. Ran installation file.<br>

I used Steel's procedure just as described (with the added line under Firewire scanners specifying Super Coolscan 4000 ED.) When I request (in Device Manager) 'update driver' the process runs, installs NikonScan and places the program in my Start Menu. Device Manager now shows 'Firewire scanner' installed and Properties declares the device is working properly. When I look under driver details, only 2 files are listed: ksthunk.sys & sciscan.sys.<br>

However when I start NikonScan the program states that "Nikon Scan was unable to find any active device" Turning the scanner off and on again (as suggested in readme file) was no help.<br>

Anyone got any ideas?</p>

<p>Bravin,<br>

You don't say what model scanner you are using. Also what operating system.</p>

<p>I really feel left out of the party. As noted I followed Chris Roche's instructions to include the 4000ED in the inf file. He was using Vista 64. Others have reported getting it to work on Windows 7, but no mention of what model.</p>

<p>Also, as noted, I have no trouble installing the drivers. The problem arises when I boot NikonScan and the software just cannot find an active device. Is this problem possibly related to something other than the driver installation?</p>

<p>Mike, I'm using a Coolscan 8000 with Windows 7 64-bit. Even though my desktop computer has had Vista 64-bit on it for a while, I didn't attempt Steel Chn's method because I was having color management and other associated problems with Vista. Thus I have been using a dual boot system and ran my Coolscan and other photography stuff on the Windows XP drive via the dual boot method.<br>

<br />I have wanted to get away from XP for a while, and I really wanted Vista 64 to be the solution. But it wasn't. Then I recently upgraded the Vista 64 drive to a Windows 7 64 bit installation, and I think this may be the final solution. Once upgrading the drive (which amounted to a clean install, so keep this in mind if you are in this position), I immediately set out to attempt Steel Chn's solution. It was actually very simple and worked immediately.<br /><br />Regarding your problem with respect to having Nikon Scan not seeing your scanner. In Steve Chn's method, you don't even install drivers until AFTER you have installed Nikon Scan. He specifically mentions removing the drivers if they are already installed. So here is the sequence of events as I have understood them:<br /><br />1. Install Nikon Scan 4.03 on to your computer (note that a 64-bit version doesn't exist, so there is only one option here).<br /><br />2. Create the *.inf file that Steve Chn has supplied above. Literally copy his test into notepad and save it as "scanners.inf" to some convenient location on your computer. I used the desktop. Note that the part that you copy literally begins with the first semicolon and ends with the "end of scanners.inf" line, with all dashes.<br /><br />3. Copy the .dll file that Steven Chn mentioned, to the same exact folder location as your scanners.inf file. For me, this was also my desktop.<br /><br />4. Plug your scanner in and turn it on, so that Windows sees it and installs the drivers for it.<br /><br />5. Go into Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager and find your Coolscan. As Steve Chn mentions, right click on this and select "update driver."<br /><br />6. Windows will give you a choice as to how to update the driver. Point this to that folder that you saved the scanners.inf and .dll files. Windows will do the rest.<br /><br />If you have success, you will be done at this point. If you then launch Nikon Scan 4.0, it should see your scanner and you should be able to proceed as normal.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br />Regards, Bravin Neff</p>

<p>Thanks Bravin.<br>

Hi Mike<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=1717767"> </a>Blume,<br>

Your problem is the "Firewire scanner" installed in the Device Manager can't be recognized by NikonScan,it only recognizes device like "Nikon ....", so please make sure you add the following line into the .inf file, then start the driver update again. Or please refer to http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/coolscan-vista-64.html for Miles's great story with 4000ED.</p>

<p>"Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 4000 ED" = SBP2Scanner_NIKON,SBP2\NIKON___&LS-4000_ED______&CMDSETID104D8</p>

<p>Good luck.<br>

Steel.</p>

<p>Bravin, \<br>

Thank you. Were it only so simple. I followed the procedure exactly as you have outlined it with one exception (which I mentioned above) I did add the line referring to the 4000 ED as described by Christopher Roche in an early post in this thread and which is also contained in the article at earthboundlight.com That line reads:</p>

<p>"Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 4000 ED" = SBP2Scanner_NIKON,SBP2\NIKON___&LS-4000_ED______&CMDSETID104D8</p>

<p>Just as Steel Chn suggests above. In spite of this modification the Device Manager still shows the installed device as "Firewire scanner"</p>

<p>Thinking that this could be the reason that the device is not recognized by NikonScan, I played around with the inf. file. In the second instance where "Firewire Scanner" appears in this file, there is a line that reads:<br>

"Firewire Scanner" = SBP2Scanner,SBP2\GenScanner</p>

<p>I modified this line to read:<br>

"Nikon LS-4000 ED" = SBP2Scanner,SBP2\GenScanner</p>

<p>Now, when the driver update is tried again, the Device Manager correctly identifies the device as "Nikon LS-4000 ED". I was elated, until I again tried to boot NikonScan and again it stubbornly refused to "find an active device".</p>

<p>Steel, thanks for your continuing interest; any more ideas?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Mike,</p>

<p>I understand your problem. I don't have any solutions for you other than ones you have probably already contemplated... reinstall your windows, try the solution on a different computer, etc.</p>

<p>I will say this: the advantages that come with 64-bit computing make this worth it, if you scan frequently and/or have plans to. And obviously there are tons of other benefits outside scanning. My Nikon Scan software is smoother on the 64-bit OS and it never seems to crash now (it used to crash if I looked at it funny, under XP), plus it handles huge tiff files effortlessly now. I'm not trying to sell you on the 64-bit OS, but if these kinds of things are important to you, I would stick to it until you have success. Good luck!</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

Bravin Neff</p>

<p>Hi Mike,<br>

Solution 1) <br>

rename "Nikon LS-4000 ED" to "Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 4000 ED" in your .inf file, and try to update driver again<br>

Solution 2)<br>

just remove the following lines,<br>

"Nikon LS-4000 ED" = SBP2Scanner,SBP2\GenScanner<br>

or <br>

"Firewire Scanner" = SBP2Scanner,SBP2\GenScanner,<br>

and use the following line instead,<br>

</p>

<p>Hi Steel<br>

Thanks for your response. I have followed your suggestions. </p>

<p>The re-installation of the software runs without problem (as before). Now the Device Manager identifies the scanner as "Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 4000 ED" However once more, on starting NikonScan, the scanner software is unable to find an active device. </p>

<p>It is very curious that so many people have gotten this fix to work with various models of Nikon scanners, including the 4000 ED, on Vista 64. There are even reports that this same fix works with Windows-7 x64, but these reports do not mention what model was involved. Can't imagine what the problem is in my case. Even more curious, when this fails the problem most frequently mentioned is that the driver update failed with the message that "Windows was unable to install .... device". I have never had this problem. Drivers always install but the damn NikonScan software can't find the scanner.</p>

<p>Have spoken to Nikon customer support. They report that they are working on the problem and may have a solution (for Win7 users) around mid 2010. They must work very slow if it takes them so long to construct a proper inf. file.</p>

<p>Thanks again for your continued interest and support.</p>

<p>Hi Steel-<br>

Again, many thanks for your continued interest in my problem.</p>

<p>Following your advice, I completely removed NikonScan from my computer and reinstalled the 4.03 version. Using the scanners.inf file, modified as you had suggested, I again updated the drivers, without problem. The results were the same; "no active device found". </p>

<p>In desparation I again removed NikonScan and installed the version 4.0 and the 4.02 update. Using the native Scan1394 folder in an attempt to install drivers, the installation failed completely. Switching to the modified scanners.inf file, the driver installation succeeded; but again the same result; no active device found.</p>

<p>See Ed Woods post above. Apparently there is no problem with Coolscan 4000 on a Vista 64 bit O/S. But I have not seen any report that someone has had success with Win-7/64.</p>

<p>I have no idea about how to go about trying VueScan or SilverFast. Can you suggest a proceedure?</p>

<p>Again, many thanks.</p>

<p>Mike Blume:<br>

There is documentation on the <strong>sevenforums.com/drivers forum</strong> that my fellow forum member there has his Nikon Coolscan 4000 working on x64 Windows Seven with the program that Steel Chn has developed. He has given credit to this forum and to others that have apparently followed Steel Chn's advice.<br>

I hope this helps you in some way; I also got my Coolscan 5000 working on Windows 7 Ultimate with the Vuescan program, and recently discovered Steel Chn's workaround and realized I could also use the Nikon 4.03 software by simply installing it without loading the drivers for the Nikon 4.03.<br>

I am truly sorry for interrupting this dialog, and hope it's understood I only wanted to help out; I am so happy for this opportunity to thank Steel Chn for his great workaround as I had no way to use my film scanner. I hope you get your 4000 going!<br>

Best regards,<br>

Ruth</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ruth,<br>

No need to apologize for contributing to this dialog. I really appreciate your help in trying to solve my problelm.</p>

<p>While I have seen several references (in this forum and elsewhere) that Steel Chn's workaround has succeeded with several models of Nikon scanners running on Vista/64 and also many who have also succeeded with the Windows 7/64 O/S, the link you provided is the first instance where someone explicitly claimed success with Nikon Coolscan 4000ED on Win-7/64. </p>

<p>This proves even more frustrating, since I have followed exactly the proceedure outlined in that link (which is essentially the same proceedure originally described by Steel Chn and modified to include the 4000ED as suggested in the tip from earthboundlight.com.). As I have written in my posts above, the driver installation proceeds without a hitch and the Device Manager correctly identifies my Nikon 4000ED. However when NikonScan software is started I invariably get a message stating that "no active device could be found".</p>

<p>Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Hi Mike, just go to <a href="http://www.hamrick.com/">http://www.hamrick.com/</a> to download a free trail of VueScan, which is also a great film scan software. When installing it, just ignore its driver offering for old scannners. Start VueScan to see if it can find your device, or allow you do some preview, even scan, this is to make sure you have the correct driver installation.<br>

If VueScan dones't find the device, allow you preview/scan, it means the driver installation was wrong. In this case, I have no more suggestions for you.<br>

If everything was fine with VueScan/4000ED, the problem should be with NikonScan. Either reinstall your OS or try with another desktop, or stay with VueScan.</p>

<p>Hi Steel,<br>

Even before I saw your last post I had tried the following:</p>

<p>Downloaded and installed trial version of VueScan. Ignored the driver offering and left the drivers (Steel Chn version) installed. After starting VueScan it would not produce a preview nor a scan. Next I uninstalled the drivers and updated drivers using the inf file provided in VueScan. After that I was able to get both a preview and a scan. At that point I again tried running NikonScan and got the same "no active device" notice. </p>

<p>So based on what you say, it must mean that the driver installation is "wrong", even though the drivers install without problem. Damned if I am going to reinstall my O/S, so I guess I will just stay with VueScan.</p>

<p>Again, many thanks for your help.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I just successfully installed the driver for my LS-50 (aka Coolscan V ED) in the released version of Windows 7, 64-bit.<br>

It was even slightly easier than the steps outlined. I simply installed Nikon Scan 4.03, then copied "scanners.inf" into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon\Driver\ScanUSB". I removed NksUSB.INF just in case, but that might not have been necessary.<br>

At first it gave me the same error that someone else experienced (it couldn't find a driver), but then I read that someone else just copied the necessary LS-50 line from the [Models] section into the [Models.ntamd64] section. That did it!<br>

Many, many thanks!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>It indeed works fine for Nikon 5000 and 9000 scanners, both on Vista/64 and Win7/64 :-)<br>

Now I wonder if there is similar workaround available also for Mac OS X (Snow) Leopard operating system? Nikon scan is my only reason for not moving up from Tiger,...<br>

Thank you and best regards,<br>

Matjaz</p>