My Father loved the book - so now I want another lens....

liljuddakalilknyttphotogra

<p><strong>Oskar</strong> ,<br>

I am so sorry... I misspelled your name. I am so, so sorry. I hope you will consider forgiving me. I slipped very bad there. :-( But you have an uncommon last name. It's not one I've ever encountered before.<br>

Moving along... (I hope) and I do see what you're saying about tube & the 50mm - no a dedicated macro.<br>

Thank you for all your help Oskar. :-)<br>

<strong>Hi Ellis</strong> ,<br>

Thanks for the feedback on the lenses. I appreciate your help. :-)<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would gladly give up my 60, 100, and 200 micro's for that 85pc. For shooting flowers and nature close-ups, it would be the pride of my bag. the shift and tilt will allow fantastic depth of field for macro.</p>

<p>I would expect a fairly steep learning curve, but I tend to eat that stuff up. I hope to rent one, come spring.... with all probability that I'll be hooked.</p>

<p>Hi Lil,<br>

I would suggest to get an AIS 1,8/105mm. It's really great at short to medium distances, even wide open, if yout get correct focus. With a bit of luck, you can get one used in the bay. For landscape at infinity there are better lenses. I also use this lens with the PK-11 8mm extension with good results for closeups. The lens is a gem, if you know to use it the right way. <a href="http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/17435108.jpg">Here</a> is a picture I took today at F 1,8 with my copy of that lens. And <a href="http://www.panoramio.com/user/1931302/tags/Nikkor%20Ais%201.8%20105mm">here</a> is a collection of shots I took with this lens.<br>

For closeups there are better lenses, but <a href="http://i-weyrich.de/bilder/D200_20060715_0528.jpg">here</a> is an example I took with this lens at F8 and the PK-11.<br>

Regards, Ingo</p>

<p><strong>Hi Ilkka</strong> ,<br>

do you have every lens Nikon has ever made? In that case - lucky you. :) Actually looks very interesting... I've located one & I'm thinking.... Do you have more shots I can look at?<br>

<strong>Hi Ingo</strong> ,<br>

looks like a lovely lens - taken into consideration. :-)<br>

Thanks<br>

<p> </p>

<p>Lil, no, but I have too many of them ;-) I think only Bjorn has them all, or almost. ;-)</p>

<p>I only got the 85 a little while ago and unfortunately I haven't been out much. I think there are several other owners of the 85mm PC on this forum who can provide much better example pictures than I can. Here is a shot of my uncle's family's aquarium. </p><div>00RzUO-103073584.jpg.d418549e7a235b87ef6e74a1e78ead26.jpg</div>

<p>I have the 105mm f/4 and it is a nice lens. I also have the 55mm f/3.5 Auto AI'd which is also quite nice. I use them on my D200 (and F100). It is difficult at times to focus, but not impossible. I have not used the newer versions.</p><div>00Rzf6-103175684.jpg.86bc26f6ff00fbaecc6d4b23ca5d1fc8.jpg</div>

<p>It's ok about the name, not a big deal, but I like to keep the details in check. My last name is quite common in Finland, but not outside of it. Incidentally, I must admit I've never ran into anyone with the same first name as you.<br>

Back to business, I can warmly recommend the 85/2.8 PC. It's definitely not an action lens being strictly manual focus, somewhat bulky in hand and the older version having a non-automatic aperture. but I do use it hand held and on tripod and I rarely leave the house without it. It's very sharp at any distance that the focusing scale supports and image quality is in every way top notch, clearly one of the best lenses that I've used. Using it effectively requires some learning and to my frustration the tilt is not as powerful as on a view camera. But for static subjects it's a very nice lens. I don't have any pics on this computer and most of my pics are for print sizes anyway, but if there's something in particular that you like I could try to see if I have it...<br>

I also took a 1:2 macro yesterday with my 105/4 to see that it works ok. Worked ok, nice lens.</p>

<p><strong>No Oskar</strong> ,<br>

it's not OK. I don't like people misspelling my name. So I should hold to the same towards others. The Swede in me speaking....<br>

My first name is rather unusual. I only know of two other women with my name. One was my father's client's daughter - - that's where the name came from. Thanks Dad.... No I don't like my name. And a lady on the East Coast. Now add that no one here can pronounce it. Most people actually call me Lilie these days - well at least here.<br>

OK so back to business.... You highly recommend the 85mm f/2.8 PC<br>

Elliot who bought my Kiron lens is selling it back to me. That's great. I'll have that back, but I will be getting another lens as the Kiron doesn't feel like a new lens.<br>

It's down to the 85mm f/2.8 PC, the 60mm f/2.8 Macro (latest version) or the 180mm f/2.8...<br>

We'll see what I decide to do. :) Part of me thinks I'll get the most use out of the 180mm, but the 85mm really pulls...... I seem to be a sucker for different & special lenses....<br>

Lil :-)<br>

p.s. you've probably noticed that the spell right system thinks Oskar is misspelled...</p>

<p><strong>Hi Robert</strong> ,<br>

I had that lens - I had a super sharp copy which I sold when I bought the 70-200VR. Boy do I regret that. Especially since the woman who bought it never appreciated the lens.... Gave it to her husband. Ah well....<br>

Bought another one - not as sharp - sold it as well....<br>

I may try another one...<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Lil :-)</p>

<p>Lil,<br>

I have the AF180-2,8, which I bought used a few years ago. When shooting with the analog FE, I often longed for the AiS180, but I never had the funds as a student. Now, some 20 years after that, I use a D300 and the marvellous AF-180 (The version with the "hammered" finish. It is super sharp, and lightweight, which I find of great importance, as I am too lazy to drag the tripod with me everywhere.</p>

<p>I guess the seller did not know what a gem that lens is.</p>

<p>If you are not too fascinated of macro, get the 180.</p>

<p>Best regards from the neighbouring Norway,<br>

Per-Christian "PC" Nilssen</p>

<p><strong>Hi Per-Christian</strong> ,<br>

a 180mm f/2.8 will be joining me very soon - yes one is on the way. The 85mm PC will be next on my list. Nice to have one to know I'm saving up for. One day there will be a 500mm or 600mm AF-S as I won't pay for the VR on those - - unless I inherit a lot of money. And I'm still considering the regular 85mm f/1.4 or 1.8 & the 60mm Macro....<br>

So many lenses...... just not enough money...<br>

But one never knows..... Maybe I'll win the Lottery - - better start buying tickets first. :-D<br>

Thanks for your kind words about my book. :-)<br>

<p> </p>