How do you pronounce NIKON

dynamisoz

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>In Japan, the home of so much good glass, it is (K)nee-cone (as in ice cream cone). American reps don't know any better than any other Americans. I worked with a Japanese camera store, for a while, and gave demos to my fellow gaijin, so can switch seamlessly from neecon to nighcon.</p>

<p>The other day, a Nikon rep, I met, used the French pronunciation because he was speaking in french.</p>

<p>Some commercials:</p>

<p><a href="

(knee-con) from a guy in germany</p>

<p><a href="

from US/Canada they say Nigh-con</p>

<p><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPB2P51DApA&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPB2P51DApA&feature=related</a> from US/Canada They say Nigh-con but knee-cor</p>

<p>Please note I filtered out commercials I did not personnally know are from Nikon. There are people out there who are making fake commercials (but that's another subject).</p>

<p>So Basically when talking in English, i say it English style. When speaking french, french style. When speaking Japanese say it Japanese style. etc. The people at Nikon advertise it that way.</p>

<p>Edmond</p>

<p>The bane of English (especially American English, or is it just <em>American</em> ?) for everybody else is that nearly every vowel is "impure" in that it is actually a dipthong, a combination of two vowels, not just one. A key tell-tale sign of a non-native speaker is that their vowels are "pure," single sounds and sound "clipped" to native ears. Of course in the American Southeast, the vowels have increased to what I call a tripthongs. As in "Haou aeire yoiu?"</p>

<p>I'm Korean but I've traveled through Japan and have talked with some about Nikon cameras. So, I know that the correct pronunciation of NIKON is "neee-kon". North Americans have taken liberties with this name and have mutated it into "nigh-con".</p>

<p>There is an old Buddy Hacket gag concerning the pronunciation of Yom Kippur. <br>

If you make $50,000 a year, it's Yom Kipper.<br>

If you make $75,000 a year, it's Yom KipPOOR.<br>

If you make $100,000 a year, .............................. it's Christmas. <br>

</p>

<p>It comes from Nippon Kogaku Kabushiki-gaisha (KNEE'P-OHN KO-GAH-KOO)<br>

It is a contraction and in Japan is pronounced KNEE-K'ON<br>

I don't know if my typing it makes any sense, but it is KNEE CON (as in con man). But, in the US it is NAI-Con. I suppose we could say it in the native style, but it would be like saying Kah-Rah-Teh as opposed to the Americanized Karate (sound like Kah-Rah-Tea). <br>

I think both pronunciations sound right in context.</p>