MB-D10 for the D-300- battery configurations

tm_photography

<p>I am getting a Nikon D300 for Christmas. I have been using a D50, so this is a major step up.<br>

I also purchased the optional battery grip. I am a bit confused about what power source configurations are possible.<br>

I have purchased 1 extra EnEl3e and have 8 NIMH AA rechargables. I was under the impression that one could use AA's or 2 EneL batteries, but a review I just read suggests that one can place an EnEl3e in the camera body, a second in the grip and 8 AA batteries all at once. Is this true?<br>

Thanks in advance for your responses.</p>

<p>Timothy Mathews TM</p>

<p>From the way I understand it, you use the camera and the MB-D10 as follows:</p>

<p>One EN-EL3e battery in camera, one EN-EL3e battery in grip</p>

<p>OR</p>

<p>One EN-EL3e battery in camera, 8 AA batteries in grip.</p>

<p>OR</p>

<p>Zero batteries in camera, 8 AA batteries in grip</p>

<p>0R</p>

<p>Zero batteries in camera, one EN-EL3e battery in grip.</p>

<p>Pick your combination and have fun! </p>

<p>You an fit one of three battery configurations in the MB-D10: either (1) one EN-EL3e, (2) one EN-EL4a (or the older EN-EL4) or (3) either AAs. You cannot fit more than 1 of the 3 simultaneously.<br>

Once you use batteries in the MB-D10, the EN-EL3e inside the camera becomes optional. Or alternatively, you can keep that EN-EL3e inside the body to power the camera and use the MB-D10 without any batteries; in that case the MB-D10 only works as a grip with the vertical controls buttons.<br>

The D300 will stay at 6 frames/sec if it is only powered by EN-EL3e batteries, regardless of where that battery is located.</p>

<p>just as an add-on, rechargeable nimh batteries work great in the grip. the only niggle is that the battery indicator doesn't show a percentage of remaining charge, as with the nikon li-ion battery. anything rated at 2000 MaH works fine, although eneloops hold their charge longer.</p>

<p>Why didn't they make a proprietary battery for the SB-800??? I use 10 Duracell AA rechargeables, but it would be nice not to have to replace 5 batteries over and over...<br>

Oh, and while I'm at it, Why on Earth didn't Nikon put a "replace batteries soon" prompt on the SB-800??? I really sucks to realize that all of a sudden, the flash won't recycle. This has happened to me on several occasions.<br>

Anyone else???</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Many people swear by Powerex Rechargables available from Thomas Distributing for providing professional quality rechageable NiMH batteries. They also have a nice, professional, 8 battery AA/AAA charger/reconditioner.<br>

Batterries:<br>

<a href="http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha_2700_rechargeable_batteries.php">http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha_2700_rechargeable_batteries.php</a></p>

<p>Charger:<br>

<a href="http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/-maha-mhc801d-aa-aaa-battery-chargerbrdeluxe-8-cell-professional-battery-charger-w-full-lcd-displaybrbrfree-accessory-bag-2-free-eight-cell-battery-holdersbrspecial-price-6897-p-437.html?SP_id=&osCsid=uafcgn13sri9e10fhf6ji2nl23">http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/-maha-mhc801d-aa-aaa-battery-chargerbrdeluxe-8-cell-professional-battery-charger-w-full-lcd-displaybrbrfree-accessory-bag-2-free-eight-cell-battery-holdersbrspecial-price-6897-p-437.html?SP_id=&osCsid=uafcgn13sri9e10fhf6ji2nl23</a></p>

<p>The Irony is that once charged, these batteries can power a large number of shots. On the other hand, as with all NiMH, they self discharge over a number of days if not used.</p>

<p>Paul B.,</p>

<p>Kindly, why "zero batteries in camera"? Even if you didn't want to pop the grip off in order replace a dead battery in the body, you could continue to feed batteries into the grip without removing options.</p>

<p>Is there a further strategy that I do not understand?</p>

<p>Chawn</p>

<p>I was under the impression that the MB-D10 required 2 ENEL3e's.<br>

I have 8 AA's and 2 enel3e's. From what Ive read here, I can place either the 8 AA rechargeables (NiMH 2500Mah)<br>

I also have an ENEL3a. I had thought it might work in the D300 but I'm sensing that this is not the case.<br>

From what I've read, I can keep 8 AA's in my bag with the holder that comes with the grip, and if they run down, I can place a single Enel3e into the MB-d10 and keep the in camera battery as my last resort.<br>

Is this a correct assessment?</p>

<p>Thank you for all your insights.<br>

Timothy TM</p>

<p>Timothy, I have already answered the original question and your questoin as clealry as possible in my earlier post at 4:38pm yesterday, Dec 12.<br>

<br />The MB-D10 does not require two EN-EL3e batteries. In fact, you can only insert one EN-EL3e inside the MB-D10, but you can optionally leave another EN-EL3e inside the D300 (or D700) body with the MB-D10 attached. However, only one EN-EL3e, either inside the body or inside the MB-D10, is needed to operate the camera. You can also operate the camera with no battery inside the camera and either 8AA or 1 EN-EL4/EN-EL4a inside the MB-D10.<br>

<br />The older Nikon D200 (not D300) camera uses the MB-D200 grip/battery pack. You can fit two EN-EL3e batteries inside the MB-D200. However, the MB-D200 connects to the D200 via the battery compartment. Therefore, if you use the MB-D200, you can no longer fit another EN-EL3e battery inside the D200 body. The D300's configuration is completely different from the D200.<br>

<br />You cannot use any EN-EL3 or EN-EL3a battery on the D300, not inside the camera and not in the MB-D10 grip. You have to use the EN-EL3e.</p>

Chawn,

I want to keep my camera (with grip, flash & lens) as light as possible. I always use the grip mounted on every camera I ever own, but D300 is my first who use one batterie in the attached grip and one in the body grip..., and since I don't want to "pop the grip off in order replace a dead battery " , I have no other sollution. Also,I think, is not good for the battery health to be discharged to mutch and left completely drain for long time...(in the body).

Timothy,

Yup, this a correct !

"From what I've read, I can keep 8 AA's in my bag with the holder that comes with the grip, and if they run down, I can place a single Enel3e into the MB-d10 and keep the in camera battery as my last resort.

Is this a correct assessment?"

Not in your bag..., IN YOUR GRIP !