Help with UV filter for my Dad's camera for Christmas

skye_boughey

<p>Hello -<br>

I've been searching these forums for the past 2 hours and am more confused than ever. Here's what I know: my Dad wants a UV filter for his Nikon Digital SLR camera. He just received this within the last year. He needs a 67mm screw on lens. That is all I know. I couldn't find any Nikon brand 67 mm "UV" filters. I've found "clear" or "glass" ones, but am not sure if that's the same thing. He defintely wants it for the UV filtering, not just protection. I found this one: <a href="http://www.wolfes.com/eshop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=755&category_id=426">http://www.wolfes.com/eshop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=755&category_id=426</a> it's a Promaster Digital UV filter for $80.<br>

If anyone could help me out with some advice, that would be wonderful. My Dad tends to be the type of guy that takes his time and researches the best products for things. Unfortunately, I can't get any more info about what he needs.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>That price sounds a bit high. Check B&H, Adorama and other reliable online retailers.</p>

<p>The best buys I've seen in most filters come from the THK group (Tokina, Hoya, Kenko). Hoya tend to have more sophisticated multi-coatings, which can help minimize flare, but I've been satisfied with the slightly less expensive Kenko filters. When shooting outdoors in blowing, gritty conditions I use a Kenko coated UV filter to protect the front element of my 28/3.5 PC-Nikkor. As long as there's no low angle sun in the frame I have no problems with flare. Even bright streetlights at night don't cause flare.</p>

<p>Typical clear glass with coating are UV filters. These include the elements inside the lens. Since there are lot more elements and UV cutting cement inside the lens, unless you have an ultra expensive lens design for UV photography like an UV Nikkor or Coastal optics, the lens is more effective in cutting UV then the filter. I think Nikon is just trying to be accurate. There are different (some time heated) opinions on this, but IMHO this type of filter are mainly for lens protection. </p>

<p>You can get a Nikon or B+W (Schneider Optic from Germany); I have both. The real question is what lens does he have. A very wide angle lens, or a zoom that goes very wide, will need a slim filter or you will pick up the filter ring in the picture causing vignetting.</p>

<p>Here is the filter I use <a href="http://www.adorama.com/BW67UV.html">http://www.adorama.com/BW67UV.html</a> (except mine is 62mm)</p>

<p>Here is the slim <a href="http://www.adorama.com/BW67UVW.html">http://www.adorama.com/BW67UVW.html</a></p>

<p>Skye,<br /> Nikon has a UV filter, but you may well have a hard time locating one. I believe it's called a L37C, but I may be off on that one.... Actually I'm not. I just did a search for you on eBay. I found no one that size. But why don't you try yourself. The L37C has basically been replaced by the NC (No Color or Neutral Color) filter. But can still be found.<br /> If you can't find it.... Ask your father if he will accept a B+W UV filter - - they are great & he will not be displeased.<br /> Hoping this might help a little...<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p>your dad most likely have the 18-70mm kit lens. it takes 67mm filters. you can get a hoya pro NC multi-coated filter made for digitals for $70.00. that promaster is priced a little high and inferior to hoya pro. adorama carries the hoya pro.....in my using it, the 18-70mm proved not to need a uv filter. i myself use the hoya pro just for protection.</p>

<p>Tommy Lee is right ! The only glass who alowed UV to pass trough is quartz glass. Every element inside the lens, with or without coating, perform like an UV filter itself. There is no need for UV filter..., only to protect the front element is imperativ.</p>

<p>A lens will transmit near UV although special lenses are required if you want to get further into the UV spectrum. But on most digital cameas the cover plate in front of the sensor will filter both UV and IR unless you have the camera adapted. I think older cameras such as the D70 allowed through more non visible light.<br>

I think you need to find out why your dad wants a UV filter. If it is for protection, then see the other thread not far down the forum from this one.</p>

<p>The build in UV filter over the sensor is at least as effective as a standard "UV(0)" or "haze" filter. I have tested this with a variety of UV light sources of various wavelengths. As others mentioned, these days those filters are basically used for "lens protection".</p>

<p>If you have a real UV problem (blacklights in nightclubs, blacklight body painting, fluorescent dyes used to detect cracks in structures) then you need something stronger than a "protection" filter. The "UV(1)" is kind of rare these days. The B+W 415 is what I use for my fluorescence work.</p>

<p>You might also want to check out this thread:<br>

<a href="../pentax-camera-forum/00RnZO">Filters, scratches, and stuff</a></p>

<p>Thanks Everyone! I purchased the recommended Nikon and the B+W filter. He can choose one or keep both. I am also going to print out this page because you guys are extremely educational! My Dad used to be an excellent photographer (still is) before he let it go years ago. It's more of a hobby lately, but he's definitely getting back into. And I'm sure he's not up on all the newest developments......<br>

Thanks again! </p>