terminate membership?

sjobeck

You simply don't return to the site. You may remove your images if you wish, but you can't remove forum posts (which in this case isn't an issue since this is the only post you have made). Since you're not a subscriber, there are no issues around subscription fees to deal with.

Many people leave. A few of people left when some of my photos were deleted. A bigger number left after the owner of the site (who's pockets we are lining) started throwing insults at paying members (and others.) I am here for the photographers and I do get benefit from paying. However, I never lose sight of the fact that it is not ideal. Sensorship is a huge problem and there are many more.

Patrick--

If you felt that someone's photos were deleted or asked to be removed for some unjustified reason, something that

felt like censorship, you might be moved to leave.

A while ago there was controversy over Jock Sturgess's portfolio. Now it is true that the site has rules and standards

which they are perfectly within their legal rights to maintain. The ethics of the matter are a different question. I've

always been distressed at the puritanical and often adolescent reaction to Jock's photos. Had I felt a bit stronger

about it, I might have left as a way of speaking truth to power. But I obviously didn't feel strongly enough about it.

This site is also in the habit of both editing and deleting forum posts that don't meet with their standards of propriety.

It's often annoying and sometimes ridiculous. It would not be unreasonable for a member who felt one of their posts

or someone else's was removed without good cause to leave the site because of it.

The site, as a business entity, and wanting to run a smooth ship, has to do what it has to do. I'm sure the staff

understands that members are free to react as they may.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<blockquote>A bigger number left after the owner of the site (who's pockets we are lining) started throwing insults at paying members (and others.)</blockquote>

<p>

David,

<p>

I understand that you and others were upset by Philip's actions in the summer/fall of 2006, but that was over two years ago, a lot has changed since then. And Philip hasn't owned the site since early in 2007. I don't think spreading inaccurate information is helpful to anyone.

All of our policies are spelled out in the terms of use that everyone agrees to. If those terms do not work for

you, you are more than welcome to use a different site. That's the glory of the internet, there is something for

everyone.

But the fact is that photo.net has operated with much the same set of rules for the past 10 years. And the site

runs very well. You can't please all the people all of the time, and that is unfortunate. But one look at the

depth of the site's history will tell the story that the site does work well for many MANY people.

As the OP's question has been answered, I'm going to close this thread. Anyone who has further questions about

site policy should feel free to email me via the "contact photo.net" link at the bottom of the page.