Depends upon what printer you're using and the inkset. I can tell you that printing using Epson K3 inkset on an Epson 9800 using matte black ink gives a larger gamut on the Silver Rag than the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl.

This is using custom profiles for both the Silver Rag and Hahnemuhle paper generated with an X-Rite profiling system and analyzing the profiles using GamutWorks.

I've been printing K3 inks (Epson 2400) on the Museo Silver Rag for almost three years, the 8.5x11" sheets. LOVE that paper, and, one of the BEST for B&W prints. (a top wedding photog turned me on to that paper)

It makes a superb Fine Art/Archival, for sale, print medium. One of the best for color too.

It's a good paper which has a surface that shimmers a bit. I particularly like it for B&W.

I'm surprised Steve that you are getting good results with matte black. I'd think that ink would not stick well unless you spray it. I use K3 Photo black myself.

I found that Fine Art Pearl gave me pizza wheel tracks and was a bit brighter than I like. I have not tried Photo Rag Pearl. I also like Harmon FB Al.

I like this paper a lot and have sold prints on it, though I would not use it for everything I print.

It has a very nice surface and can produce some very good blacks. As you may know, the color of the paper is rather

"warm," verging on yellowish, because it has no optical brighteners. In my experience, not all prints will work ideally with

that paper color but for those that benefit from its warm quality it is great. While I like some black and white prints on this

paper a lot, it won't work as well with a print that perhaps needs a less warm effect - they can actually end up looking

"yellowed."

I have also noticed that it needs a bit more print-sharpening than the other paper I tend to use, Galerie Gold Fibre Silk. If I

sharpen for GFS and then print on Silver Rag I can see that the image is not quite as sharp, probably due to difference in

the way the ink spots spread.

IIRC, it really isn't intended for use with matte black inks.

Dan

"I'm surprised Steve that you are getting good results with matte black. I'd think that ink would not stick well unless you spray it. I use K3 Photo black myself."

Matte ink works fine. The issue is with gloss differential - not whether the ink will "stick." The only difference in the black between the P and M inkset is the amount of pigment versus dye. The P K3 ink substitutes more dye for less pigment - but, the P does have some pigment.

A good profile gives a print with very little gloss differential - I have made 8x10 proof prints on Silver Rag and hand them around for people to look at with no ill effects.

For final prints, I always spray the print regardless of the paper surface. For the Silver Rag I use Clearstar Clearshield Satin.

Brad -- definitely cool- Is that a "book" or a collection of images stacked in a can? Nice work. Very nice.

And yes, I was surprised when someone mention matte black and this Museo Silver Rag -- the paper is a type of glossy surface so PK black is mandatory.

Thanks to those commenting on my books.

BTW, Silver Rag is pretty durable when handled; and even more so when sprayed. Which was one of the goals for the projects

above - to encourage user handling.

Was pleased with the way that worked out.

www.citysnaps.net