Am I mad

graham_thompson1

I've gone back and forth from digital to film too, you're not alone. If I had easy access to a good E6 lab, I'd still be shooting slides with my F3HP. But here in Seattle my lab of choice is out of business (Ivey) and the other great lab I used to take all my E6 to (that had great 1 hour E6 service) is no longer open on Saturdays.

I have a huge archive of negatives and slides. Not only my own (which is most of it), but my fathers slides, and other archives of negatives from relatives going back to 1902 (glass plate negatives). I decided I don't want to amass more film to manage. I already do not have the space for what I have and most is packed away in boxes and not easy to get at.

Shooting digital is easier to manage for me. I also love the instant gratification from it, not having to scan an image, or worry about it getting scratched over the years. I have some 20 year old black and white negs that are not in the best storage conditions at the moment and have been slightly damaged.

I wonder if in 20 years my digital files will still be readable? Will photoshop still exist?

"If you only like b/w and shoot at one frame/minute why not get a Hasselblad"

This is good advice. You will have no choice but to slow down and think more about your images. It sounds as though the process for you Graham is most of the fun.

For digital, I shoot the D3, but for film, 35mm just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I shot this one with a Minolta X-500. There was a guy with a digital Nikon that asked why I had that obsolete camera.He didn't even notice that there was a very rare Rokkor 17mm on the camera. I had all that stuff for less than 300 Euros.

I am very happy with this photo. Some people love it. Other don't even consider this one as interesting.

A lot of people told me things like :

- there is grain,

- it's blurred,

- it would have been better in colour,

- it would have been better with a digital,

- it would have been better a Cakon or a Ninon,

- it would have been better with a Leica (Thank you very much. I have two Leicas but I did not use them this evening however I you like my work I accept a 15mm Hologon in Leica mount as a present.)

- it's Tri-X I have better result with T-max.

And so on... Most of the time I don't see any photo from these guys. Sometime they do something very different. Sometime they have better photos than mine and I take their advice in account.

Do as you feel and try to do it better.<div>00RUbC-88503584.jpg.67d8765a13c6c2cc5866fa44ded59e08.jpg</div>