Gepe glass slide mounts

Greetings: I plan to mount Velvia and Provia 35mm slides in Gepe anti-newton glass mounts for a important slide

show. I have noted that some of my mounts have a haze on the glass, perhaps fungus. This is fairly easy to clean

off, but how likely is the return of the haze? These glass mounted slides will be stored in Kodak carousel 80-slide

trays, in the storage box, in somewhat imperfect conditions of 60-64 degrees F, and 40-55% humidity (rarely 60%).

Any help in this regard is much appreciated. Lee

Storeing slides in glass slide mounts always bear thr risk of developing fungus, but just mounting them for a short time for a show will go. If the haze on your slides is fungus it will probably return unless you treat them with something fungizide. There are always traces of the fungus left. You can reduce the risk with glassless mounts.

<p>Under "normal" conditions, i.e. a reasonably dry climate, glass

mounted slides can last almost indefinitely, provided:</p>

<ul>

<li>the film was dry, really dry, when mounted

<li>the glass slides were clean and dry

</ul>

<p>Otherwise you have provided a nice greenhouse for fungus and

bacteria. I have slides, both 135 and 120 that have been glass mounted

for 30 years and which look as good as they did the day they were

mounted. (<a href="http://abdallah.hiof.no/ekheim-2/c-index.html"

>http://abdallah.hiof.no/ekheim-2/c-index.html</a>) I also have slides

that look awful because I was too impatient and did not let them dry

properly before mounting and / or did not clean the class slide mounts

properly. Depending on how the slide mounts have been stored, you

might also want to consider washing them in a mild detergent and

making sure they too are properly dry, especially between the steel

mask and plastic frame to ensure a clean, dry environment for your

slides.</p>

<p>- Børre</p>

I would not use glass slides unless you must for the reasons Stefan says. A lot will depend on your climate and

humidity. Personally I have always found that water vapor emitted from a heated slide tends to produce a moving

cloud of dark "fog" whenever they are projected which is very irritating. I suspect this is probably your haze. For this

reason and also because of the difficulty of cleaning slides encased in glass I have always used the GePe glassless

mounts with great success. Although edge to edge sharpness is assured with glass mounting (except for the

haze/fogging issues)I have always found the negatives outweight the positives with glass mounting.

By the way, I find the steel rimmed glassless GePe mounts are pretty good at holding the slide flat, although not

perfect.

Robin Smith

Every box of Gepe AN glassmounts I've bought has had a light fog on the glass. Once cleaned off, it's never returned.It's apparently a release substance used in manufacturing--not fungus. I have a large number of slides--many of then Gepe AN glassmounted--and I've never had any issues whatsoever--apart from time doing nothing to improve those iffy shots. Dropping the humidity 10-15% might be good insurance, though.

Thanks for everyone's help! To clarify, the haze I'm seeing is on the glass mount, before the slide is inserted. The reason I want to use glass mounts is to improve edge to edge sharpness; most of my work is landscape photography, and focus at the edges and bottom of a scene are as important as the focus at the center. Thanks again, Lee

Last spring, in an attempt to get edge to edge sharpness, I mounted all my slides in Gepe glass mounts, both the

regular glass and the anti-Newton. The mounts did keep the projected images flat but I found the anti-Newton texture

to be very distracting when viewing landscapes with large areas of clear sky. Then early this fall I noticed several

slides had ugly spots of mold inside, permanently ruining some of my slides. So I am now remounting everything

again in Gepe glassless metal mask mounts which don't hold the film perfectly flat but pretty close. The slides don't

buckle under the heat of the lamp probably because the film is allowed to slide a bit inside the mount. On balance, I

would say you are better off sticking with glassless mounts unless you have a critical application and then I would

remove them from the glass for storage. I might add the projected images seem to have better color and clarity

without the glass.