Need Some Advice On Forum Etiquette

mt4x4

I'm pretty new here, and generally don't post on a lot of forums in general.

I have a couple of questions about etiquette, any suggestions would be great.

I post an image, request a critique. Get some GREAT feedback on how to improve the image (e.g., try it in b&w,

add some sharpening, crop it, etc.).

1) Is it OK, to edit the image, then re-post it?

2) Should I re-post the image as a separate image, or replace the one that was critiqued?

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith-I would suggest that if you redo it as a b&w, you submit it as a new post as it is a new photograph. If you make a

correction such as a crop or some sharpening, then either (1) delete your original entirely and submit the new one or (2) edit

the image and replace it in the original post but say that you have done so or the original comments won't make any sense.

Welcome to photo.net! regards, cb :-)

This isn't any official photo.net position, despite my position as a moderator (translation: officially sanctioned troublemaker), more the opinion of a longtime member and occasional participant on the critiques, but...

As far as I know you may post different versions of the same photo and invite folks to view the various versions to assist you in feedback. Or you may attach modified versions of the same photo in the comments section on a single photo portfolio upload.

Generally speaking, it's poor form to submit too many requests for critiques of the same photo within a short time frame. How many is too many? How short is too short a time frame? I dunno. Use your best judgment. As a non-subscriber you're already limited to only a tiny handful of critique requests so use them wisely. I don't mind seeing separate critique requests for variations of the same photo within a week or month, but do find it a bit annoying to see several such requests within the space of an hour, which occasionally occurs on the critiques and ratings queue. I tend to skip over the redundant requests.

Many of us will occasionally offer edited versions of photos to accompany our feedback. Most folks appreciate this. I know I do. But once in awhile someone will take offense at having someone else editing their photo. When in doubt, ask if it's okay.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

As far as being a non-subscriber goes, that probably won't last for long. I've actually been a bit of a lurker of this community for a while; enjoying the extremely helpful articles, looking at other people's work, but not contributing. As far as I can see, this is a great community and well worth the very nominal subscription fee. I'll be signing up very soon.