Video recording using the 5D-II

joe_allebaugh

Outstanding, this guys four pix show the "cosmetic" differences between old 24-105mm f4 L IS and new unissued 24-105mm f4 L IS.

I see the IMAGE STABILIZE silvery logo has changed to Red USM and it looks to have a bit of a built in hood. Have to wait and see if the optical groups are identical.

There's likey more as I am just comparing it to my EOS Spring 2008 Catalogue, printed copy

Thanks for the link, glad to see Northlight rumours site was right about the upgrade L-Series Kit Lens.

Lindy

That 5DII for shooting video looks like an abomination. 20 min of video and then give the camera a "rest" (so the

CMOS doesn't cook) isn't even close to real world for specs. After all a short press conference / product launch

usually lasts about 30 min. I'd hate to miss that last and possibly crucial minute or two because the CMOS was

about to fry. There's a very good reason why the Canon XL H1 has 3 CCD sensors as does my Sony DSR-570 DVCAM.

Let's face it folks, video and still photography are two different animals and will continue to be for a long

time to come. I don't get DSLR quality when I pull stills from video and it doesn't work the other way around for

video capable (lol) DSLR's either.

When we (my AV team and I) shoot a press conference there is both a Cameraman (video) and a still photographer,

but then again what do we know as we merely feed our families from the proceeds of such adventures.

"That 5DII for shooting video looks like an abomination. 20 min of video and then give the camera a "rest" (so the CMOS doesn't cook) isn't even close to real world for specs."

So... if you do decide you want a 5D2 you'll be asking Canon to disable the video mode then?

I had no interest in video but I am excited about the video capabilities on my 5D2 when it arrives. I think it's far from an abomination, I think it's an excellent tool. There are people that will welcome it with open arms like Vincent Laforet (see http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/10/10/without-further-ado-reverie/) who created an absolutely stunning short film in 2 nights. There are also those people who will never use it.

But... all in all... this camera will change journalism forever. No question about that whether you like it or not.

"That 5DII for shooting video looks like an abomination. 20 min of video and then give the camera a "rest" (so the CMOS doesn't cook) isn't even close to real world for specs."

Most of my video are short clips within 3 - 5 minutes. The 20 minutes is not an issue to me. I am waiting for more info about the Video review of the 5D mkII and how it responds to type of lenses on the camera. If all good, for sure I will get one. I like to have video function on a DSLR. I am an old guy and getting tired carrying both on my trips.