Where would you vacation?

A tough question that depends entirely on where you've previously used your eyeballs, and how old you were when

you did it.

<br><br>

"Relaxing" is the thing, here. There are some beautiful spots in the world that, alas, still require you to be either

looking over your shoulder or spending a lot of money to be relatively comfortable that you, your gear, and even your

morning cup of coffee won't be disturbed. And, some people think "relaxing" means "not too long of a walk to an

outhouse that has a recently re-filled bucket of lime and relatively few rattlesnakes." There are some spectacular

back country scenes in Argentina, for example. I truly, truly would like to spend a couple of weeks riding through the

ranchlands and mountain foothills there.

<br><br>

But if "relaxing" means... "I'm from the U.S., and want to spend my own currency and not need a passport..." then,

get all mavericky and consider Alaska, or a road trip through the Badlands and into Wyoming. But then, the wrong

season there makes such a trip actually suicidal if it snows, so time of year is a factor.

<br><br>

But if you're into something a little more urbane, with various rustic bits of wonderfulness just around every corner?

Northern Italy is a wonder, that way. Everything from agricultural plains to spectacular mountains to medieval towns

to sleek modern cultural centers and everything in between. Your native currency will have a lot to do with how

attractive that sort of a destination is, in terms of exchange rates.

<br><br>

And... Iceland! Some of the most beautiful, forbidding scenes on the planet. And some very nice (if temporarily broke)

people. Yeah, I could see spending a couple of weeks rattling around Iceland. There's camera candy there that is

utterly unique.

For me, the answer would depend on how long this vacation was. For a few days, I would select Venice. If I had a couple weeks, I could enjoy relaxing in Santorini and the neighboring islands.

But if I had a month, it would be Jasper and the Icefields Parkway. Easy to spend a month there are never see the same thing twice.

I'd have a hard time. I can think of a few different ideas, from Yosemite in the off season for a few weeks to Padagonia backpacking to Yellowstone in the winter with a sled of supplies. I tend toward wilderness locations for relaxation. Generally I relax by doing things, I am deffinitely not of the 'go somewhere and do nothing' type, though I certainly enjoy that if I am going to relax at home.

Of course a European city or 5 doesn't sound that bad to me either.

Beautiful and relaxing environment ? I'd stay home! <BR>We don't have spectacular mountains, we don't have

impressive architecture, but we do have a generally relaxed and peacable attitude and an officially designated

area of outstanding natural beauty. And good pubs. And two national parks.<BR>

County of Devon, England. <BR><BR>

Iceland is outstanding, and the people seem soft spoken and good natured, but I think of it as a demanding

landscape and a tough country rather than relaxing.<BR>

North Italy sounds good. <BR>

London is not good. Its an environment alright, but relaxing and beautiful aren't in it.

OK, I see your criteria are <b>magnificent shots in a [consistently] beautiful and relaxing environment</b>.

<p>The Canadian Rockies? Both Banff and Jasper provide breathtaking sceneries; and Jasper provides an

abunbance of wildlife. Stay in a rustic country lodge with mountain and water views. You are all set. :)

<p>Mary

I'm with you, Mary. Canada is the place to go. Friendly people, fantastic scenery, and, currently, a 23% increase in the spending power of the American dollar.

On the other side of the country there are the historic cities of Montreal and Quebec, the natural scenery of Cape Breton and Newfoundland, the quaint towns in the Gaspe, the St Lawrence Seaway, whale watching, and the multicultural and vibrant Toronto.

And no passport required to enter, Matt.

Ian

Ian Shalapata
ipsfoto.com | info@ipsfoto.com
Freelance Multimedia Journalist

I've really enjoyed any time I've spent in Canada, Ian. But just to be clear, the "you don't need a passport" thing is now a <a href="http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/passport_requirement.asp" target="_blank"><b>little more complicated</b></a>. On your way back into the US, by air, they're now asking for one. If you're driving or floating across the border, you do need ID, but not necessarily a passport just now.

This past spring a friend, who is a US citizen was denied entry to a flight out of JFK destined for Montreal because his passport was expired by two weeks. He switched to a bus and crossed the border no problem.

I already live in Canada so I would go to Costa Rica. They have beautiful scenery on both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and a mountain range with numerous active volcanoes dividing the two. The country is safe to travel and the people are very friendly. The literacy rate is higher than the US and by Central American standards the populace are fairly well off. Lots of wildlife and plant life to photograph also. The diving and hence underwater photography is also fairly good.

Were it not illegal with our stupid embargo, Cuba would be a great place for a photographic vacation. Nice beaches,

cool architecture, not as expensive as some other exotic locations, nice weather, except maybe during hurricaine

season. Hey, maybe this is something our new

president can change, it's certainly long overdue and he DID say he would bring change.

New Zealand. Lots of great scenery, exotic (to me, anyway) animals, people speak English, natives have a rich culture, country has a lot of history, it's peaceful and "modern", and I hear there's excellent trout fishing up in the mountains. I love mountains and the ocean, lots of both to be seen there.

Second pick: tie between Roadtrip from the desert Southwest USA on up the west coast into British Columbia, or travel around Alaska.

While Italy would be way up on my list too (it really is beautifull) I can't understand why nobody so far has mentioned Ireland. It's really God's country out there, especially the (south)west coast. Scotland and the Yorkshire Dales would come second to that. And for those who want to see more but like to be understood why not visit the Netherlands. Lots to see, hospitable and virtually everyone speaks English. Also it's a great starting point to visit Germany, Belgium and even France.

And yes Keith, you're right to stay at home as well.