Leica MP "classic"

rgerraty

One nagging point about the current MP and most likely the MP classic is that since at least the M6, certain items

like the frame counter and vertical rf adjustment were oversimplified to cut production costs compared to how they

were made from the old Wetzlar days 35-40 years ago. If Leica is going to put out these special "blast from the past"

models that cost more yet eliminate the meter, they should consider returning to the flawless construction of some

of the components that gave the M bodies their early bulletproof reputation. Realistically, I can't see tis happening

since financially Leica hasn't been in good shape for decades and it may not be economically possible for them to

retool for a few special issue cameras. On the bright side, no RF film camera in current production can beat the

Leica in terms of construction.

I get that it is a pretty camera, and I even use the normal MP. I just can't get past the fact that as Fred says, you are

paying more and getting less. Why pay a bunch to remove the meter when you can just remove the battery with the same

result? And by removing the battery, you also have the option of putting it back in and having a meter when you come to

your senses. The only bright point I can see here is that price includes a matching summicron. It is still a lot of money, but

less than the a la carte version would cost I believe (though the a la carte would give you a meter).

Stuart I am slow coming to my senses. I should want an M7 but I am not sure. Using my M2 a lot I almost prefer not

having a meter in the camera. Carrying the camera low down in my right hand the battery cover of my M6 annoys me and I

really think this classic is a great way to get a brand new M2. I should learn to trust and use the M6 meter more. That'll

cure me of my delusion.