I NEED HELP!

k.andy_photos

I shoot with a NikonD200. I really do love the camera. I also shoot with a small sb600 flash. Just recently I noticed

that from the time I click the shutter button on the camera, my flash (both built in and off camera) takes a long time

to fire. I have to hold down the shutter button and either flash will flash off and on for about six seconds and then it

will eventually take the picture. What is going on? I have been shooting with this equipment for two years and have

never had a problem. At first I thought it was the off camera flash, but it happens with my built in flash as well. This is

not acceptable. I have a feeling it has something to do with the camera's sensor, but I am not entirely familiar with

the technology. It began to happen to me towards the end of a wedding reception. Embarassing! If anyone has any

idea whatsoever please share it with me.

Does it happen with the SB600 disconnected ? If the 600 needs longer to recycle, due to age, or something, the camera may not let the built in flash fire ahead of it. You may have taken a lot of shots, during the wedding and at the end of the reception, the SB600 could no longer recharge quickly.

Assuming the camera and flash are working normally, and that you have fresh batteries, there are a few reasons why this delay might occur: You've set the menu on either the camera or flash to some sort of delay. Using slow or rear sync flash might cause this. Using the self timer might cause this. Reset everything to zero and try again; Be sure red-eye reduction is turned off. This will cause a delay. Depending on the system (it varies from system to system), red-eye reduction can produce a continuous bright light before the flash or "disco strobe light" effect before the actual flash.

There are other possibilities but these are the most obvious.