How much do I charge?

darylann

I'm being "courted" by a well-known racing organization to photograph a series of their events. This is a new venture

for me, as I've been doing mostly portraits and weddings for 10 years, as well as my own outdoor photography. I

don't want to give too many details here, as they've been using the same contracted photographer for several years,

and I'm not sure yet why they're asking me. But I'd sent them some of my shots I took at one of their sanctioned

races and they were impressed, and are now talking about sending me a contract! So far, we've been corresponding

only via email, but they want me to call and talk to the head honcho there today.

Sorry for being so wordy here, but what I really want to find out is what I should consider fair payment and terms

when being hired for such events. It will involve travel and overnight accomodations, too. I'm eager to break into

motorsports photography, though I don't have much experience in it. But I don't want to "give it away" either.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

"How much do I charge?"

As much as the market can bear.

You need to break it down into two broad categories; Fees and expenses.

Fees includes prep time, travel time , and crative fee. The creative fee is based on a combination of how you

value your time and possibly usage fees if the photos will be used for advertising.

Expenses includes everything else:

travel; lodging costs; a per fixed diem rate for food; assistants (if you use them); equipment rental fees; and

especially image lprocessing costs ( in these digital days this is pretty much based almost purely on a valuation

of your time spent editing (culling) adding caption information ( AKA "meta data") and processing, but the cost

of digital shooting and processing --digital media (CF and SD cards, CD-r or DVD-D disks, computers ,

displays, software, card readers, cameras and storage -- cost something and like any other tools in any other

business have to pay for themselves for your business to stay in business.

You may want to consider why they are asking you for a bid since you have little experience in this area. They

may not actually want to hire you at all and are just fishing for some low numbers to throw a scare into their

current photographer. It is not a nice tactic but one that some clients use. And don't forget: if they cut their

ties to someone they have had a long relationship with merely on the basis of price, what makes you think they

would not do the same to you?

Think about the questions they asked: Did they mention any particular aspect of your photography or any specifc

photographs you have made that attracted them to you? How did they find you? were you speaking with someone who

has decision making power or someone tasked wit hthe assignment of getting prices/ What was their tome of voice?

One can waste a lot of time and what is worse psychic energy in preparing bids like this one.

Great points, Ellis.

One of the hardest things I learned to do, back in the days when I was selling professional equipment in another industry, was to ask myself (honestly, objectively), "Why would this customer be interested in doing business with me? What else might be going on that would prompt a request for a visit, or a quote, or some piece of information?" The excitement of a new prospect can eclipse the more strategic thinking, sometimes, and even make us forget the things that WE think about when we're out shopping for something ourselves.

Those are some great thoughts -- I've definitely got my guard up now! But it's not like they just found me in the

yellow pages. Here's how it went down...

I made the initial contact, to ask if I could get their permission to use my own images that I took at a race several

years ago. At the actual race, I had been given permission to shoot from the areas restricted to the organization's

professional photographers, by the local club who wanted me there to capture images for their clubhouse walls. But

in order to remain in the restricted area, I had to sign an agreement with the national race organization's people,

promising I wouldn't use any of my images for anything other than in the local clubhouse. I'm getting into stock photo

sales now, and these weren't "fresh" shots anymore, so I thought maybe they'd release me from the previous

agreement. I sent along some of my shots that I got there (hey, it couldn't hurt to show them my work, right?), and I

got a release from the president of the organization himself, in writing (email). His secretary then contacted me

further, asking if I'd consider photographing future events, and could they send me a contract? So I'm thinking it's a

serious consideration... right?

In that case you should look over the contract -- and great marketing move by you by the way -- If you have questions about any of it, have friendly lawyer look it over for you -- legal language can be different from colloquial language and I guarrantee you they had a lawyer write it for them.

Still keep in mind the first part of my initial post. I use Blinkbid software (http://www.blinkbid.com ) for preparing estimates and invoices and keeping track of contacts and payments, etc.

Hey thanks! I'll definitely have a lawyer look over any contract, and will check out blinkbid. Everyone's input is SO

much appreciated here!

UPDATE: I've since talked to a real person (instead of via email), and found out they are not working with the

previous photographer anymore and are definitely interested in me! This could actually turn into something, but I'll

tread carefully.

Here's another update... they don't pay anything! That's ZERO dollars! But they say the other photographer did it for six years and apparently made some big bucks off the deal. What they'd do is designate me as the "official photographer," and require me to provide 12 shots from each event that they can use on their website and in advertising. In turn, they provide credits on every photo they use anywhere, with links to my website and information about purchasing prints from me. They say they've never paid a photographer and can't afford to. Meanwhile, I'd have to cover my own travel and hotel expenses on top of it. Does this sound like a good deal in any way?

They had a "falling out" with the previous photographer (something originating between him and the racers, it sounds like), which is why he's history now. Should I email the guy and ask questions (taking into consideration his bad ending with them)?

On one hand, I feel like I'd be giving away my services and would be foolish to agree to do a job that pays nothing. But on the other hand, I wonder if it would pay big dividends in the end, as well as be a springboard to other jobs and one more nice thing to put on my resume.