Nikon ED 5000 scanner (Using Nikon Scan 4.03) Works Beautifully on Vista 64bit

Hello,

I just want to pass this information: A Nikon ED 5000 film scanner works very well on Vista Premium Home Edition

64bit, using Nikon Scan 4.03 (designed for 32bit Vista).

However, the caveat was that I had to first had to install VueScan 8.4.92, (which was released on October 19, 2008)

on a clean system and let the VueScan software identify the Nikon scanner first, and install it's driver for it. Then I

installed Nikon Scan 4.03. Then I deleted the VueScan software (using the 'uninstall program' function available by

digging in Control panel).

The driver that actually lets this all happen is the Hamrick driver from the VueScan, but you get the Nikon Scan

benefits by going back to Nikon scan. I was able to scan a whole roll using the roll film adaptor and everything,

scans came out great too!

There where three very minor work-arounds though:

I had to uncheck the "stop on errors" in the batch scan dialogue box.

Also, the scanner would cut off a good portion of the beginning part of the film. To correct this problem completely, I

set a film offset of "-27" in the tools palette.

Finally, I could not select "Scan Image Enhancer". When I did, Nikon Scan would freeze up after completing the first

scan (as it started to crunch numbers under this Scan Image Enhancer - no biggie).

Summary: Nikon ED 5000 scanner works perfect in Nikon scan on 64bit Vista, just takes a little work, but is well

worth it.

BTW, this is not my original idea. Got it off a Google search of "Nikon Scan, 64bit Vista": http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=198&topic_id=8303

Is it just me, or does all this point to Nikon losing interest in it's scanning customers? (Shades of the Minolta fiasco) Vista has been out so long it's soon to be replaced, and they have not bothered to make NikonScan compatible?

Maybe just go to the end of first sentence in your second paragraph? In other words, forget about NikonScan, and just run it with Vuescan?

Hi Mendel,

Nikon released 32-bit Vista compatible drives with release 4.03. In fact 4.03 is for Vista only. Nikon has not released drivers either for 64-bit Vista or 64-bit XP. Why I do not know; perhaps because until CS4, Photoshop was a 32-bit application.

Something tells me Nikon perceives film either as at an end or as medium that will be processed in a traditional wet darkroom - either color or black and white. I suspect the current crop of film scanners will be the last.

Have you tried Silverfast Ai or Ai Studio with the Nikon scanner? I use a Mac G5 so I don't know if it's available for 64-bit

Vista, but the software is signficantly easier and better to use and for results than Nikon's. It has a better scan

size/resolution for prescan view and edits and fastter scanning for the final image file.

I switched to Silverfast Ai Studio after waiting months for Nikon to update the software for Leopard which they didn't want to

do and required a convulted installation procedure and I still can't get good results with some slides. They've also indiciated

they won't update the Mac software past Leopard (to Snow Leopard). I agree Nikon won't be in the scanner business for

very much longer, it's a decreasing market.

Film offset fine now - this error was because with this Nikon Scan 4.03 on 64bit Vista, no leeway allowed with improperly cutting the film leader. Scanner also works fine with Scan Image Enhancer now.

BTW, anyone who gave up on this Nikon ED 5000 scanner without using it on a Powerful 64bit system using Nikon Capture NX2 for color correction doesn't know what they are missing. In my opinion, although more work, the images are superior to what I am able to bet from my Nikon D300 camera.

Brooks, I just caught on after posting that it was 64 bit Vista in particular that was the issue, thanks for the explanation tho.

I'm also ticked that Nikonscan outputs a multipage tiff, and there seems to be no way around that. I can fix it after the output, but it's a pain. They're tech support offers no solution, saying words to the effect "we'll put it on list of things to look into".

Anyway, I just run my Coolscan V with Vuescan and forget about it ;)

• 3 weeks later...

"If Vuescan does the job, why go through all the trouble of installing Nikon Scan?"

A good question. I prefer vuescan for all clean film. I only prefer Nikon using ICE for lots of dust removal like

scanning very old film. Very rarely I have a frame that is difficult to adjust in color. Then I try Vuescan,

Nikon and Silverfast and usualy one of these come out a bit better than the others. So far I see no pattern to

predict which one will win ^^.

By the way: If you ever have to use more than one scanner on one PC you will like vuescan since you only use one

user interface for different brands and models. You can avoid a lot of trouble :-)

• 4 months later...

<p> </p>

<p ><i><b>I installed Vuescan and scanned something with it, with the ED 5000 and V64. Then I installed Nikon Scan and unistalled Vuescan.</b></i></p>

<p ><i><b>I still get "no film in scanner"</b></i></p>

<p > </p>

<p >Late Response: I had to manually install this driver after all myself after I disconnected my scanner from the particular USB port i had it origianlly set up, and Nikon scan would no longer automatically load the Vue scan driver. Here's how I delt with that monor headache - all this is for Windows by the way: </p>

<p >Go into your "Device Manager" by: - right click "My Computer" ->properties->hardware->device manager.</p>

<p >Right Click the Nikon scanner. Select "install driver". Point to the Hemmrick Vuescan driver from wherever that file is on your computer and select that. Problem solved.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>So I found Vuescan and installed the latest version released yesterday apparently. My LS 5000 now seems to work perfectly though I have not uninstalled Vuescan (its a rather shy sort of program and doesn't show up in the list of programs, so I thought I'd try it anyway.)</p>

<p>So all looks to be good so far.</p>

<p>Hurrah!<br>

</p>

• 1 month later...