I own the Nikon 5000ed and I' m looking to find an easy and fast way to make index scans just to

make contact sheets . I scan in full resolusion only the images I find interesting (which are few) using

my scanner as a digital enlarger but I want to have all my pictures in contact sheets or in thumbnails

in my hard disk in order to choose which images are real interesting to scan in full resolution.

I have the Coolscan V; my negatives are cut in strips of 6. I insert a negative strip, select all the negatives, set for scanning at 600 ppi, and let it batch scan into Nikon Scan. Since I want a particular naming convention, after I scan the roll, I save them one at a time as JPEG. Ninon Scan can save them for you if you so desire, but your naming options are limited.

I've converted the default SA-21 feeder to be able to scan up to 40 exposures at a time. It takes just about 1

minute to feed the entire 36 exposure roll through and get on screen thumb nails of each. It's very quick then

to rotate exposures for proper landscape or portrait orientation, and also to discard obviously bad frames.

I start the full scan after this. The scans are always at 4000dpi and 16bits to TIFF. It takes about 1hr to do

the whole roll, but the entire operation runs unattended.

I keep all the high resolution scans. It's easy enough though to do a digital contact sheet. Just use the

contact sheet macro in Photoshop.