Gave away 4 memberships

steve_bingham

$100 wasn't that big a deal - honest - but of the 4 memberships I paid for only ONE bothered to thank me - well, sort of.

Never got a direst e-mail. That was 1-2 months ago. I guess I won't be doing that for awhile. I wonder why I never even got

any sort of acknowledgment from photo.net? Nothing. I mean, a simple receipt with a 2 word "thank you" would have been

great!

I guess the system isn't set up for "thank you". Something to think about, my friends. I joined photo.net a million years ago

because it was set up to help struggling photographers - and I thought I could help.

There are a couple things to note here. According to this post:

http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00QdPn

-You made the offer less than a month ago (sept 7th) not 1-2 months ago.

-You tagged your offer onto the end of an existing long thread. A thread that had been started almost 2 week prior and had already seen the OP say "Thanks everyone, I gave away the membership".

-There are 20,000 posts on this site every week. I cannot read every one.

Of course it is wonderful that you choose to give away some subscriptions, and you should have gotten an automated "thank you" email from the server. But the thanks you really need to be looking for is from those individual members. Throwing photo.net under the bus for something that I knew nothing about is unfair and more than a little silly.

Josh. I guess this is my "thank you". You replied, "Throwing photo.net under the bus for something that I knew nothing about is unfair and more than a little silly." I was being "silly"? How callous. I have been supporting photo.net long before you came along. And will continue to do so, God willing.

I guess, then, I should say, "You're welcome!". I never faulted YOU or photo.net. Simply the fact that there was presently no way of even thanking donors, right? Get it? As for 1-2 months ago and your correction that I missed by 4 days, would it have mattered? In any way?

<i>"I wonder why I never even got any sort of acknowledgment from photo.net? Nothing. I mean, a simple receipt

with a 2 word "thank you" would have been great!"</i>

<p>

In these two sentences you pretty clearly fault photo.net. I fail to see how that could be read any other way.

<p>

What, exactly was the purpose of your post other than to seek attention and make photo.net look bad somehow? If

you were really concerned that photo.net somehow didn't have a proper "thank you" system set up for gift

subscriptions or that the current system was broken, you would have

emailed me. If you really were pissed that you didn't get thanked by the people who SHOULD have thanked you, the

recipients, you would have emailed them. So again, what specifically were you hoping to accomplish with this

post?

<p>

<i>"long before you came along"</i>

<p>

I guess those extra 18 months really do give you more cachet around here than me. Well played.

Thank you, Josh. That was my only real point - and perhaps I should have e-mailed you. Please accept my apologies. Generally, in the past, my e-mails were pretty much ignored. Honest. (not by you)

The system is obviously "broken" as you put it. As for personal attention, I could give a rats ass. I own a radio station, two other businesses, and am constantly trying to AVOID attention - as it almost always involves work. :^) I linger in the shadows most of the time - except for photography - my passion.

Apologies unnecessary. I'm a likely bit testy as well at the end of a long week.

As I said, I will look into the system to see what is going on.

Also, it bears noting that I answer every email sent to me or via the "contact photo.net" form. Even the ones that involve the phrase "You piece of s--t". I'm well over 15,000 so far in 2008.

when I was given a free subscription about a year ago, Josh Root informed me.

but there was no name attached so I could not thank the person who gave me the subscription.

I do not know if my subscription has expired yet.

the problem then was"

I have poor eyesight and I hit ctrl-+ several times to make the text larger.

when I did some of the ads, expanded and overlapped the text I wanted to read. this was very annoying.

the free subscription eliminated the ads and made life easier.

I am glad there are members out there who are kind and considerate enough

to donate a free subscription.

to orginal poster" virtue is it's own reward" sure it's nice to be thanked.

but the Kindness you have shown is, I am sure , appreciated.

Maybe it's better that way. if I were a doctor, dentist or lawyer or loan officer,

I would not tell the others in my church. I would be constantly asked for advice.

same here, If someone KNEW you could afford $100.00, they would ask you for that old digital camera.