Kodachrome 64 in a Point and Shoot

Hi- Someone gave me a Canon Photura Point-And-Shoot style camera and I wanted to shoot some Kodachrome with

it. I was reading the manual and it said that the camera was not programed to expose 64 speed film. From what I

was reading the camera will most likely expose it as 25 speed film. Does anyone know what my results will be.....

Check the manual carefully. If it exposes the film at ISO 25, then don't bother. Slide film that is

overexposed by 1.33 stops is washed out and not worth much. Many point and shoot cameras will

shoot K-64 at ISO 100. This will produce reasonable results. Many people like to shoot K-64 at ISO 80.

This would only be 1/3 stop less exposure. It may be a touch dark, but the colors will be rich.

Just get an older point and shoot film camera that will shoot it! . . or an SLR. Seriously, such film cameras are so cheap .. you could buy a brick of K64 and a camera and have a load of fun .. if you find it is not to your liking .. simply sell it. When trying new films, shoot it first at its' rated ISO/ASA .. don't let the wrong camera limit you. .

Kodachrome 64's father was the old obsolete K-12 Kodachrome-X; an asa 64 slide filmmarketed for the Kodapak/Instamatic/126 camera. Pop Photo in May 1963 page 45 hand the exciting news!; four asa 64 films for Kodapak; most cameras had a 43mm F11 single element coated lens. <BR><BR><BR><BR>Slide files can be harder to shoot in a simple camera.<BR><BR> I thought the old Canon Photura was a super high end P&S camera; the "beercan with the hinged lencap" ; with DX contacts to "sense" the film speed of the 35mm cassette; were a 25 iso was the default setting IF an ancient NON DX cassette was used? The DX code is the electrical bar code the the modern 35mm film cassette that alerts a smarter camera what iso/asa the film is. Thus Kodachrome 64 should work. Reread the manual; maybe I am all wet .Maybe more than one model of Canon Photura was made; the one a friend had was many hundreds of bucks when it was new; and had a decently fast zoom lens.<BR><BR>Many DX cameras default to a low iso25 or 50 setting when a NON-DX coded film cassette is used; like ancient mystrey brands and bulk load. Modern name brand films have had DX codings for about 2 decades or more. Thus the real question is what the manual says;and if the camera really works too. I thought the Canon Photura was more than a P&S since cost so much.

the manual for my canon sure shot 105 says slide film can be used.

but lists 25,50,100,200,400m800,1600 (no 64)

it is dated 1996. many of these films were never made of discontinued.

I have some older P&S cameras that either have a iso setting

or limited DX contacts. ( only 2 or 3 )

2 have dx contacts AND a slider to select the ISO film speed.

On the issue of DX contacts: Look inside the camera at the contacts. If there are six contacts, the camera can concievably support every film speed from ISO 25 to ISO 5000. If there are only four contacts. the film speeds are divided into "groups" of film speeds: ISO 25-40, 50-80, 100-160, 200-320, 400-640, 800-1250, 1600-2500, and 3200-5000. Usually, the cameras use the lowest speed of each of those groups, those being the most common.

The one contact of the DX is ground; the other 5 bits are for the film speed; with 32 combinations. The common consumer print films only require the first 2 bits / contacts ; and a simple camera with 2 active pins assumes the iso is 100, 200, 400, or 800, the other bits are ignored since there are no pins s3 thru s5. Even if a camera has a full set of pins one should not assume the software chaps resolved the full 32 bits in 1/3 stop steps; ie the iso sequence of say 100, 125, 160, 200 dot dot dot. . The software can be just so the 5 bits just spans 25 to 5000 iso; with 1 stop jumps; your Canon Photura might be like this..

..<BR><BR> For camera with 4 DX pins there are 3 used bits; this allows a DX camera to sense ISO 25 thru 5000 ; BUT there is NO 1/3 stop sequence; since these are determined by pins 5 and 6. <BR><BR>Thus if one opens up the camera and one sees 4 gold DX pins (one ground 3 logic) it probably accepts DX cartridges from the full ISO range; but each "step" is a giant 1 stop step; ie your 64 DX Kodachrome will be "read" by the camera as iso 50<BR><BR>Thus if one opens up the camera and one sees 6 gold DX pins (one ground 5 logic) it probably accepts DX cartridges from the full ISO range; but each "step" is a more tiny baby step; 1/3 step; ie your 64 DX Kodachrome will be "read" by the camera as iso 64<BR><BR>A system with 5 pins; 1 ground and 4 logic is typically not used; since say iso 50 and 80 have the same 4 logic "high" sequence; iso64 is different. <BR><BR><b>So how many DX pins are in the film chamber?</b>; if in Vegas I would bet on 4; thus the camera has full iso span but resolves only to the 1 step iso sequence; ie an iso 64 cassette is read by the camera as 50. By 4; I mean four visible gold spring looking do hickies in the film chamber that contact the 35mm film cartridges DX code.

I've been using Kodachrome 64 in the Yashica T4 I purchased about six months ago (used, of course). The owners

manuel indicates that it will accept film with DX codes in speeds from 50-3200 (so, no K25 in there!), but says

nothing about 50 vs. 64 vs. 80 vs. 100. I've been getting excellent results: sharp, bright, clear slides, that look

properly exposed, similar to my results with my usual Nikon N80 and F100 equipment, so I assume the Yashica is

getting the right ISO. Looking inside the camera I see...four little buds inside the film canister area that I take to be

the DX contacts. Make of that what you will.

Assuming your camera is capable of shooting for 50 ISO, and that's what it will select when it sees something coded for 64 ISO, you should be OK - it varies by model sometimes, so hopefully you can find a specific answer for that particular camera (I've never used one personally).

One caveat: many P&S cameras don't have large apertures or very slow shutter speeds, so K-64 is best shot outside in brighter conditions with these cameras. It might work with a flash indoors, but no guarantees there.

As a test last Christmas I shot a roll of expired K-64 indoors with no flash. Pretty much all of the shots were very underexposed (it's also possible the film lost some speed over time, as I don't know how it was stored). No camera shake, though :)

"It might work with a flash indoors, but no guarantees there."

I've tried to use K-64 in my Yashica T4 indoors with the built-in flash. That didn't work too well. The pictures were

too dark, not at all like the results I can get with K-64 in my Nikon N80 with the SB-80DX flash.

"K-64 is best shot outside in brighter conditions with these cameras."

Yeah, most of my good K-64/Yashica slides were in bright conditions, but I've gotten some nice sunset shots and

such with that combo as well. I don't know what my lowest T4 shutter speed is, but in the past, when I didn't have

my tripod around, I've gotten good hand-held results with my Nikons at speeds as low as 1/15 of a second

(sometimes), with no VR to help me.