Finding my Niche

ejchem101

Hey guys,

I finally saved up enough to buy an old Canon EOS D60, have been using it for a couple of weeks and I'm loving it!

Now my dilemma is trying to find where I should spend my time with my camera. I'm a full-time High School

Chemistry Teacher. I understand that for now Photography is a hobby, but it something that I would like to get

close to semi-professional at, and I'm not in a hurry, if I get to that point by my 50's i'm happy (that's 25

years). I'm Interested in absolutely everything, Sports, music, hunting, outdoor photography... I don't even

mind weddings!

Are there newspapers/ magazines willing to have an extra freelance photographer in the summer? Or do most people

just want someone who can be there all the time. I think that I would rather not do portraits except for friends

and family members. Is there a place for me in this photography world to make even a small amount of money on

the side (maybe to pay for more photo equipment). Any Suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Eric, many mags use freelance work but it is a crowded field. As for newspapers, ask the editor or your local paper what they do. Some accept freelance for some stories, others won't.

Photography covers so many areas, which is why there are so many choices in lenses. Some shots require wide lenses, others very long, and most are somewhere in between. Work with what you have and soon you will find what you feel is missing.

"Is there a place for me in this photography world to make even a small amount of money on the side (maybe to pay for more photo equipment)."

You and millions of others. I don't want to rain on your parade, but doing this is like playing the lottery, particularly in the age of digital cameras; EVERYBODY has one and many have just the same thoughts. I'd say forget about that aspect and enjoy photography as a hobby.