Haggling with Jessops for a D700

squareformat

My local Jessops has the D700 advertised at £1650. I've seen it advertised elsewhere on the 'net for £1,530. Jessops

say they can't budge on price. Has anyone bought a D700 from Jessops and, if so, did you manage to haggle them

down a bit? I'd rather buy from Jessops mainly because it would be easier to take the camera back should anything

go wrong with it but, being Scottish, I'd like to get the best price as well!

Elliot,

It's at Simply Electronics. They seem genuine enough but I've read a few stories about cameras not being in stock, difficulty in reaching them on the phone, etc. I don't particularly like the way Jessops treat their customers but there's a certain guarantee when buying from the high street.

bruce,

what is stopping you from buying it from elsewhere? high street prices would always be slightly higher. they are higher because they allow you to handle the camera, get a feel and even try it out. this alone is worth a little more.

It's really just a little uncertainty over Simply Electronics that's giving me some concern. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for high street convenience but I'm wondering if that's worth £125 more. Let's face it: the D700 is dear enough as it is! Alternatively, the extra dough would get me a pretty good extended guarantee.

Bruce, as Nikon warrants the camera, not the selling dealer, you may not need to be so concerned about where you

buy it as long as the camera comes with the manufacturer's warranty and you have the ability to get the camera to

a Nikon repair facility should service be required (which is your best course of action anyway).

Is the extended warranty a store offered item, meaning exclusive the Jessops, one from Nikon or available also

through the other store(s)?

Bruce: here in the UK, the contract you enter into when you buy the camera is with the seller, not Nikon. It's normal and

sensible to pay a bit more for the peace of mind of having a seller that is accessible and concerned for its reputation.

However, you say, 'I don't particularly like the way Jessops treat their customers'. My experience of them is limited, but

consistent with this comment.

I recently bought a D700 from Wilkinson Cameras at the same price as Jessops. They have several outlets in the north

west and are a delight to deal with.

Last year bought my first DSLR for Warehouse Express and found the price was very good. I would be reluctant to

buy from Jessops due to reluctance to compete on price and their attitude to customers which always strikes me as

arrogant and other posts on this subject have confirmed this to me.

I live in Renfrewshire and have bought from Ffordes of Inverness. Recently bought a Sigma 20mm new and had no

problems with the lens. There was a problem with a filter that I bought at the same time but it was replaced ok. Have

also bought other used kit from them and they are ok to deal with. They are an official Nikon stockist so no problem

with Grey imports.

I recently looked at the pros and cons of importing from Hong Kong. You will have to pay, as I understand it, import

duty plus vat plus a fee to Royal Mail for handling. This might bring you up to the same price as Jessops. Moreover,

the Customs and Revenue website to find out this sort of thing, is at best, horribly complicated.

Good luck

Hi Bruce,

I also tried the Jessops haggle for the D700 and got nowhere. The guy was friendly enough, but he admitted that

he wasn't even allowed to match their own web prices. His final comment was "I guess you'll be buying it

elsewhere then?", "Unfortunately, yes." I replied.

If you want a proper store at a cheaper price than Jessops, try Clifton Cameras (http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk).

I have bought several of my latest purchases from them, 70-200VR, 1.7TC, SB800 and every time they have been

polite, courteous and extremely helpful. In fact, as soon as this month pay comes along, I'll be off to get the

D700 myself.

Regards

Ian

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have another go at Jessops and if they wont drop their price then I'll try one of the other recommended stores. I can't understand Jessop's business model, especially in the internet age. It's not as if they're a tiny company with limited buying power so they should be able to be competitive on price.

For a while they operated a price promise which basically said that we will screw you for as much as we possibly can unless you're savvy and do some research and then we'll match our competitors' price to take away their business.They had to abandon the price promise when customers, having looked up the intenet, started screwing them. Power to the people!

Bruce,

Dump Jessops. They are a company that deserves to fail. Warehouse Express are outstanding and if you want to buy anything in the UK they are probably the best bet as well as other smaller companies like Robert White. Jessops only caters for the P&S crowd now and not for serious photographers.

Good luck,

James

If you've got a Jacobs nearby that's where I bought my D300. Better price than Jessops, more knowledgeable staff, and they threw in a

2Gb memory card when I asked them.

Jessops staff I have found both ignorant and patronising (when I wanted to compare the size of a D40 with my OM4Ti the salesman looked

at my camera in disgust and said "THIS is digital, sir.")

"Last year bought my first DSLR for Warehouse Express and found the price was very good. I would be reluctant to buy from Jessops due to reluctance to compete on price and their attitude to customers which always strikes me as arrogant and other posts on this subject have confirmed this to me. "

I can second the vote for WE. I have bought quite a few items from them, and had one or two issues with the products (not the fault of WE) and their response has been first rate. A very good shop.

As for Jessops, they are the most atrocious shop I have ever dealt with, and I have had a stream of problems, which on one occasion elicited a written apology and compensation. Very arrogant, very bad service, very unprofessional. And expensive. I could list the issues, but it would be long and boring.

Jessops shops vary by quite a bit in general quality of service, and I've got quite different answers about price matching at different branches and at different times. Policies have varied from just 'No' to 'Only within a radius of x miles' to 'Brick and mortar competitors only' to 'We'll check with higher up' to 'OK!'. You may do better armed with a copy of Amateur Photographer (where Mifsuds, WE, etc advertise) than with a web printout. I'd have no hesitation ordering from some of the mail order shops mentioned above, though sometimes dealing with the courier companies that actually bring the gear to your door can be more painful than the service at the worst branches of Jessops...

Actually Bruce, that ain't too bad. When I was at Jessop's in Oxford st London in august, the D700 was 1850. I suppose if its a large chain of stores its difficult, and probably not allowed, for individual salesmen to offer it at whatever price they get haggled to. Can you imagine people going in to one branch and saying " well, your such and such branch sold it at such and such price to my friend so you have to sell to me at the same price etc". Sometimes if the price diffrence is not so much, its just not worth the hassle, time, expense, of going somewhere else.

As for the way they treat customers, as someone said, it all depends whos serving you. Everyone's an individual.