Is it really worth lugging around a tripod/monopod?

james_stevens5

I only carry a tripod when on a vacation when I know I'm going to have some "quality time" to go off and focus on photography rather than being dragged around by the family. Sunrise shots at the Grand Canyon. Birds at Sanibel Island. But I think tour bus is the operative word here. Spending most of your day on a tour bus pretty much says you're going to be playing tourist not playing photographer. Tripod is of no use on the bus and many museums/cathedrals etc don't allow them or make them a hassle. Unless you really know you're going to have some serious photography time in places were you can make use of it I would leave it home.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in the UK and can say if you want to take outstanding photos', you should take your tripod. The ruins you will visit can be dark on the inside and the British sun does not alway shine. Also, some places will not allow the use of your flash. It may be a bother to bring it along, but the results will be well worth it. Besides, you'll need it to take photos of yourself and your wife.

"John Wilson , Sep 20, 2008; 02:34 a.m.

This falls into the category of "are you traveling to take pictures, or taking pictures while traveling" conundrum."

This is the heart of the matter --- what I call travel photography vs. vacation photography. I agree with those who feel that traveling around on a bus with others puts you in the vacation photography="taking pictures while traveling" category. Your decision, picking from the variety of responses and suggestions here, should be driven by this perspective.

If you cannot get all the wonderful pictures because you opted for less equipment, rely on your eyes and brain to emphasize the direct experience; when your circumstances allow for good pictures, then intensify the experience with your camera. The range of what you shoot may be narrower, but because you are traveling as simply as possible --- mentally as well as physically --- the results may be much better.

Enjoy the trip.

Michael, that strap contraption you refer to in lieu of a monopod is simply this .. a simple screw-in device with string about 4-5 ft long. I have used this with success in places where tripods don't seem to work and it is a lot easier to carry than a monopod/tripod.

I now carry an extra Bogen tripod baseplate ($10) and tie bright orange poly braided cord to the D-ring of the baseplate. I then simply screw in the baseplate to the camera, drop the string, step on it and brace the camera with moderate upward pressure until I lock composition and shoot. I make sure the string length is not too long to pose a trip or snap hazard .. I always use the camera with the strap around my neck to prevent the camera from being inadvertantly pulled from my hands .. It tucks away in my shirt pocket when not needed. I'd file this information under work-around solutions as it surely doesn't look professional but it works where tripods or monopods are prohibited.

Often a small tripod will suffice for many shots outdoors - like the Cullmann 1002 that is small and lightweight and easily strapped to the bottom of a medium sized camera bag. It is fine for a camera with a lens up to the 70-200 or my preferred telephoto, the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8.

Take a flash though for indoor use and to add punch to outdoor and night shots. Practice in your home town shooting in manual mode at night. The mistake commonly made is to let the camera decide on the exposure and it wants to make the night look like daylight which kills the filling of the moment and the place. With film it was possible to due night photography with ISO 400 film and f2.8 lenses so your D60 is more than up to the task without a tripod.

I took my Cullmann mini tripod to Europe last year but hardly used it. Some of my favorite pics were in low available light with a fast lens,

Rangefinder let me hand hold down to 1/15. Gitzo (pricey), Velbon, Slik, or Cullmann are best lightweight trip choices. Check extended size

and weight.

I second the suggestion to carry a compact camera and micro table top tripod (bendy wire thingy) as well as your SLR. You can use this in lots of places where you would not be allowed to use a full tripod, compact or otherwise. A monopod is useless for travel etc especially with VR. For that weight/size/bulk you may just carry a lightweight tripod which will allow you to take fantastic shots with your self in them as well. I carry a slik sprint pro that is very lightweight and try not to extend it beyond the first stage to keep a more stable platform, and when I need to travel even lighter I have an old Quantray that I got from Ritz 25 years ago for $10!!! Fits into my coat pocket. I just don't extend the legs at all and it works great on my D200. Just have to bend down or find a wall/car etc!!!

Another option is a bean bag that attaches to the bottom of the camera and lets you rest the camera on the vehicle you are in or some other sturdy surface. I took one of these to Africa, along with a tripod. While I used both, I used the bean bag a lot more. I was mostly shooting with a Canon EOS 20D and a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L lens. In a number of cases at night with reasonably long exposures. It depends on the shooting conditions but you might consider it as an option.

• 5 months later...
<p>Travel light is essential, it makes your holiday more enjoyable. Most camera offer high ISO for low lights and I've taken quite a lot of night scene without a tripod. Look for some supports like pillars, chairs or lamp posts if you need to shoot at slower speed. All the best!</p>