Is it really worth lugging around a tripod/monopod?

james_stevens5

Mu suggestion is bring a lightweight tripod. When you're with the group leave it in the hotel. On a tour of

England, Scotland and Wales a few years ago, a number of places we toured wouldn't allow me to bring a tripod.

Maybe you could get by with something like a Gorrilla Pod, or a Leitz table top tripod. When you're with a group

(unless it's a group of photographers) I found it difficult to take the time for good shots with a tripod without

holding other members of the group. I used my tripod a number of times on our last trip with a group in Tuscany,

but during the early morning and evening hours. If you're flying in the UK you might also want to find out if

you can bring a tripod as a carry on. On my last trip, I had no problem in the US or Germany, but in Italy I had

to check my tripod-and it showed up three days later!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is.

Something light and not too big is quite useful for low light situations. It saves you the trouble of not having to find a support point when the shutter speed is long.

And you dont want to be in a situation in which you wished you had a tripod with you. :)

We have traveled a great deal and w/ various camera combinations. The best travel photos we have were from a $20 Konica C 35 rangefinder film camera w/ a 38mm lens and 200 iso film. It was so small and fun to shoot with that taking photos everywhere was a joy, and no one looked twice when we pulled it out. It was on a trip to frisco, and the shots of the Bay and the Golden Gate bridge came out great, along w/ all the quick street shots in the Mission and Haight districts that could never have been made w/ a big camera and tripod.

I'd bring a light tripod, most can readily be used as a monopod, legs extended but together.

A lot would depend on the type of trip, how much time you would have mornings and evenings compared to rushing about in and around places and on the bus. Don't know if you can predict the type of people you'd have with you. It's just a guess but if you don't know the group, it's probably still a reasonably active group of more mature adults, since if traveling during the school year, kids are usually in school, parents with school age kids are home as well, etc. So probably not up for all day death marches every day. If the tour involves planned evening meals and social events, there may not be a lot of time free?

Every "real photographer" probably will tell you that a sturdy tripod is an invaluable, essential part of a photography outing. He or she, in private, likely will also whisper in your ear that the burden of the tripod is one of the aspects of taking pictures that most strongly sometimes wants to make him or her give it all up. Tripods are great, and there's no perfect substitute for them, but, where they deliver excellent results, they're also royal ass-pains to carry around. As well, if you're planning on being part of a tour group, you probably don't want to risk annoying everyone on the bus to such an extent, with your perennial set-up/tear-down (no matter how efficient you and your tri', the process takes a little time) sessions, that they vote to leave you at the next stop.

Unless you're going on business — and your business involves taking pictures — I imagine the "point" of your vacation is fun more than it is photography (even if the latter helps build the former), and a tripod, certainly, can get in the way of either. I suggest, then, that — if it is a question in your mind — you opt to relieve yourself and your travelling companion of the three-legged beast, instead perhaps taking along a pillow, bean-bag, or monopod, for those rainy or late-night moments that are full of artistic opportunity but demand the sort of stability just you leaning on a column can't quite afford. Monopods usually aren't very expensive (not compared with their big brothers, at least), and aren't rather more cumbersome than carrying around canes. As well, they're frequently allowed in places (such as museums and monasteries) that expressly forbid tripods and clear "commercial photography."

If none of this added weight suits you (not even the pillow...), I suppose you could just pump up your digital ISO setting or carry several rolls of Neopan 1600 — whichever applies.

Large Gorilla Pod supports a DSLR - can be wrapped around van doorframe / branches / chairs / Beefeaters / etc.

Manfrotto makes an aluminum monopod that has foldout base with 3 swivelling legs for more support -

quite compact, relatively light. Can double as a walking stick

Have flown with manfrotto 055 carbon & swiss ball head in carryon no probs - heavy though; lugging that, a body and 5 lenses around NYC day & night is great way to lose weight.

Just be aware that many places such as museums in Paris will not allow a tripod as it identifies you as a "professional" (they also don't let you use flashes lest they destroy the art after thousands of shots). The Taos Pueblo, 900 years ago and home to the Taos Indians, allows photography, but my Leica caught attention and a tripod could not be used. I used to carry a table top tripod until (and this was after 9/11) it's folded up shape in a case looked so much like a gun that the TSA had their hands on their guns as I opened it up. I threw it away in front of them, very quickly.

Tripods are too much trouble for travel on planes and while they would be OK on a car trip I never use one. I have some B&W night shots with my M6 on film taken at 1/15th that are stunning. That's the beauty of the rangefinder with no big mirror clanking out of the way, shaking the camera and scaring any animal. You are not plagued by "Butts of Africa" photos, in other words.

My opinion? Don't be bothered with one. I have actually placed my M6 on a cafe table in Paris and used a cable release with multi second shots with success. Again, the beauty of the rangefinder.

'Shooting 1000 pictures' and not being 'obnoxious.' Classic. Mom would say what is the least pain choice as

always when you are a passionate shooter. I love my tripod a good one,but I will travel with my Bogen Carbon One

monopod that can be used as a walking stick and is not unlike a big trekker pole. Best 125.00 investment there is

in such situations. (Yes, the Leki photo walking sticks work but not as good as a real monopod.) MY table pod-

also by Bogen with a Slik compact head can fit in the front pocket of my Tamrac bag. These supports won't break

the budget I hasten to add.

What I have discovered last year, on a bus tour of the Las Vegas and Hoover Dam is that I will not go on a group

and bus tour with anything but my Nikon Coolpix P 5000 henceforth., I am a not- as- nimble- as- a -mountain goat

senior and not a rabid photographer these days but still OBNOXIOUS as necessary:-)). If your wife is amenable to

help, there is your solution. Scotland and UK are fascinating places from what I know and I envy you. Never been

to highlands. As far as the restrictions,heck, let them caution you at the time and check the items not allowed

(like cameras) in some old castle estate or pub... Think fun, and look at some of the books you can find on travel

digital photography. I have one by Michael Freeman that has good tips. Like separating new and used CF cards in

little red and blue watertight plastic boxes- stuff I would never think about. See example:

http://www.otterbox.com/waterproof-cases/otterbox-1000/

If you have really good walking shoes and an amiable group, let a paltry 800 photos be your aim :-).

I personally would recommend taking the tripod. While bubble levels are probably the photo accessory with the highest profit margin (I mean, $30 for that?! Come on), I would not go anywhere with out one when I take my tripod. I do like the idea of the foot strap mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Sounds like something that should be taken at a minimum.

But as others have mentioned, doing low light photography does justify the hassle of a tripod.

I think it really comes down to, what kind of images do you want to capture, and what do you want to do with them.

My travel/backcountry tripod is a Velbon 640 CF with an Acratech ballhead. Not the tallest tripod, but it is compact and handles most situations and something that takes little space in my luggage.

Why not take a small monpod and leave it behind on the days you are with a group but maybe take it out with you when you are moving at a more relaxed pace?

Tripods can cause problems when you need them most such as in many cathedrals in UK as well as museums etc etc - They are sometimes not allowed and sometimes an additional charge can be made.

The point about the light is a good one. Make sure you bring all your IS / VR / fast lenses with you.

Have a great trip!

I drove around the western Highlands on my honeymoon, and was glad that I had my tripod with me. But, if I was on a bus trip, and did not have any time to drive around on my own, I would take a GorillaPod instead of a tripod. I've been on a bus tour in Ireland, and there certainly would not have been any time to set up a tripod and contemplate some nice shots. If you are restricted to bus tours, I would highly recommend buying a faster lens than the slow kit lenses. On a digital body a 35mm f/2 or 24mm 2.8 would give you the ability to extend your handheld opportunities into the afternoon and evening. If the D60 does not have an autofocus motor, consider an AI 35mm f/2.0 or f/1.4. With ISO 800 and that lens you could take some good handheld shots in most nighttime city locations.

Don't take one. The Pod might be an idea but I haven't used one. I found the Leitz table top fantastic in Italian chuches years ago but would

not try to get it on a plane now. I also have their mini tripod for P & S and with the 2s self timer I've had some great night and dawn shots.

It's profile on an airport X-ray is cuddly & innocent. A good P & S is what you need for your trip, along with the D60.

I always bring my tripod on every trip I make. I never use it.

The ONE time I did use it was to take some shots of the Northern Lights when in Alaska.

The photos came out okay, nothing spectacular, but it's a memory I never want to forget.

Yes, I've used the tripod on maybe one shot ever on vacation... and I will take it with me on vacation every time.

My monopod is another story. With a VR lens, I just don't think I should have bothered buying it. I've used it zero times.

Without reading all the responses my own opinions is to take a tripod. I use it every time either for low light conditions or to take a picture of my self and or family without relaying on someone else compsing the image and moving the camera while shooting.

That is my 2 cents

Have fun in your trip

The last time I checked, they sell tripods in England. Why not just pick up a cheap one when you get there, just for the odd instance you might want to use it? All you need is something very basic for travel photos. You could bequeath it to someone when you get ready to leave. Of course, if you're some sort of macro or wildlife photographer, you might need something more pro-oriented, but I don't get that impression from your post.

In my instance, I shoot the Sony A700 DSLR, which has stabilization built into the body. Every lens I attach is stabilized, and I can handhold shots down to 1/8th to a 1/10th of a second in low light. I shoot weddings, and I never drag my tripod out of my trunk anymore. You could pick up a VR lens for your Nikon, of course, which would help in your situation.

The light in England fades early especially in the north and in Scotland. If you go to the big cities be careful drawing

attention to yourself as there is a serious low level crime problem as you could easily have your equipment taken. Head to

Cornwall and Devon and also wales for some great countryside.

My first trip abroad was 20 years ago. Very similar to your situation. My solution was to measure my suitcase and determine the maximum length tripod that would fit. I went to a discount store and bought the cheapest tripod that would fit. I think it cost $20 and it lasted at least 15 years of similar trips before one of the fittings cracked. If nothing else it got used once or twice each trip to record a portrait of my wife and I at some scenic/historic location. I was sure the photo was properly framed, focused and exposed.

Obviously digital cameras change the equation, but it is still very difficult to give a non-photographer instructions to take a decent portrait - OK now, put the castle on right, and us on the left, be sure the left most little box in viewfinder is on my wife's eyes, press the shutter half way to get focus confirmation on my wife....

Since you are traveling in a small bus, the group must be quite small? Use the tripod to take a couple group photos and everyone will see the benefit. As the "photo guy" you'll get some good natured kidding about always being the last one back to the bus, etc. But send a few photos to everyone when you get home and you will have new friends for life.

I dont want to sound obnoxious but really James, its not like your carrying medium or large format gear, so why wouldn't you just wrap your tripod with some bubblewrap and stuff it in your bag, gaurenteed if you dont take it you will end up in some unforegiven place wishing you had packed it, and why should you give a stuff what anyone thinks of you, go on our trip and enjoy....