D700 vs. New Competition = $ Drop

george_paulides

Mauro, I'm sorry, but I still think there are two major flaws in this reasoning. I will try another time, then we

will have to agree to differ, for I'm not going to argue this forever. After all I am happy with my D200, and

cannot afford either model, so there is no much point in dragging this along.<p>

1) Your reasoning on the mechanics being the same is dubious. The 5D2 uses an old, slow, and fragile

mirror/shutter group, taken from the old 5D, which was well known to have reliability issues, and has never (to

my knowledge) been used on any camera faster than 4 fps. The D700 uses a system that reaches 8fps. The shutter

lag is half than the 5D2. I don't really believe that the two mechanics have the same cost. The build quality is

most likely superior (expensive), the AF system is way more sophisticated (and not a leftover from 5D production)

so it is again likely to be a more expensive part. Notice how Canon did not even use the more advanced version of

the 9 points AF (the one in 40D and 50D) which they had in house... I wonder why? The meter system is also a lot

more sophisticated in the D700, and most likely again more expensive. And again, Canon kept their best meter for

the 1D only.<p>

2) Your pentium vs AMD argument continues not to convince me: I will repeat again. The 5D2 sensor, I suspect, is

not more advanced than the D700 sensor BECAUSE it has 21 MP. I believe it does NOT take much more effort to make

a sensor 21 MP than 12 (see the reasoning in the post above). Unless you believe that my reasoning is false (in

which case, tell me why), it turns out that megapixel count is JUST A CHOICE at production stage, based on what

Nikon and Canon believed was the market target of the product. I will repeat it again: both producers could have

made the competition's camera. Nikon did not made a 20 MP sensor because they DECIDED that their product would

have been bought by people who preferred the "12 MP but fast,feature rich" compromise. Canon decided instead to

go for the

other compromise. <p>

I'm sorry but you look a bit too sensitive to the megapixel story. I repeat:I do not believe that making a 21 MP

sensor is more difficult. It is likely more expensive (higher reject rate in manufacture) and in fact, Canon is

taking away a lot in exchange. Would you buy a 3 years old AF, when better ones are available, by the same

producer, in cameras that cost HALF the price? Do you think the 5D2, with its good low light capability, would

not benefit from the 40D/50D more sensitive AF? Would you buy an old, slow mechanics known to be fragile, when

better ones are available? Would you appreciate that Canon did not yet manage to put a pop-up flash capable to

control wireless remote speedlights on a camera ideal for fashion work? It is this what you call a "quadcore

CPU"? A camera with a shutter lag DOUBLE than the D700 (and greater than a 30D I reckon)...<p>

Again, I'm NOT saying it is not a great camera. It IS a great camera, and will surely sell well, and will

produce a lot of great images. For a good deal of people, it is what they need, and the D700 would be a less

optimal compromise. And vice versa. But one should not confuse "it is what I need/want" with "it is better",

because they are not the same thing. <p>

So, to get back to the question you left blank: I will not buy either one. But I, with my own specific needs,

will always buy a 12 MP camera for the price of a 21 MP camera if it had (as it is the case) a better mix of

other features that for my needs count MUCH more than the 21 MP thing. Heck, for many things that count for me,

the 5D2 would be a step back from my D200!! The Mp count is just another feature, and

has to be weighted according to personal preferences. For me, anything beyond, say, 15 MP has precisely zero

value. It is as simple as that. <p> L.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I pointed out earlier, I am going to close this discussion since it is getting quite off topic.

You might recall that back in July 1 when Nikon introduced the D700, quite a few Canon users were complaining about the very old 5D and considered switching to Nikon. It was none other than me who asked them to wait at least until Photokina. It turns out that Canon has now introduced the 5D Mark II. Whether it meets their needs or not is up to those individuals to decide.

By the same token, if you want 20+MP, I now suggest you wait a couple of months and see whether Nikon has anything new to offer. Again, whether 21/24MP is the answer or not will be each individual's decision. Various sources suggest some November announcement.

If you want a 100% viewfinder on the D700, there is always the live view option.

And whehter the 5D Mark II has some of the same defects as the 5D is unknown. I would like to think that even though it may be essentially the same body, Canon would address some of those issues.