Daily Photo Sampling From Our Members' Work

rascal64

There are a number of things that go into choosing those images. Ratings, views, times marked "favorite", how many times a dart hits it when thrown at a wall of similar photos, how much money the photographers have paid me.

And from that pile, they are chosen randomly.

"I can also tell you that, in my opinion, most are garbage. Kind of a random garbage generator. Now let the offended speak and speak loudly." I have never seen one of my images there so I am not offended, most of the photos are pretty good in my opinion. Why do you think they are "garbage"? And why would you phrase the question in such an unsophisticated and impolite way?

Well, I guess I'm a numbnut because I think they're generally very fine and interesting to view.

I did notice today that one of Yuri Bonder's pictures popped up, a very engaging portrait of a young girl. And I just figured out yesterday that he had passed in a very untimely fashion - nice to see that a bit of one can live on.

Thanks everyone. I have only seen one of mine once up there. And I swear...it was gone within an hour. It had very few ratings...though all good ones. I just don't see a pattern. While they may not all be my taste....I think they are all good images. Thanks again for the feedback.

Josh, if I paid you 20 bucks, would you put one of my pictures under photo of the week? :)

But to answer the original question, I think in order to be qualified there, the picture should be averaging around higher spectrum of 5 or even 6 average?

Frans, I wouldn't use the word "garbage" to describe other photographers' works unless I could easily reproduce every single picture there even when I am half-awake, half-drunk, and with one hand only. But then even if I could, I don't think I would call their pictures garbage. But nonetheless you made me interested in looking at your pictures and see what kind of pictures you actually produce - unfortunately I couldn't find any.

Saying someone's work is "garbage" is rude, even if it is only your opinion. Albert, "But nonetheless you made me

interested in looking at your pictures and see what kind of pictures you actually produce - unfortunately I couldn't find

any.", doesn't surprise me at all. Frans would not comment like he did if he actually had some images posted here

because he wouldn't want viewers comparing his work to the "garbage" in the daily photo sampling. Just my opinion!

Frans, at least one of your diatribes against HDR on a photo.net member's portfolio photo was an obvious misinterpretation. The photo was clearly a digital alteration, a fantasy photo, and submitted as such. Slamming it for what you perceive as overuse of HDR makes about as much sense as complaining that cover art on any issue of <i>Heavy Metal</i> magazine is unrealistic, could not occur in this universe and, besides, Julie Strain couldn't possible look like *that*, could she?

Howard, there are various ways for viewers to find your photos:

1. Submit them for ratings and critiques.

2. Participate heavily in the critique option, commenting on others' photos. This will generate interest in your photos.

3. Participate heavily in the discussion forums. People will wonder what your photos are like.

All of these approaches involve some risk. Tread carefully.

Submitting photos for ratings will risk receiving inexplicable anonymous ratings. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, or a good thing. Folks should find anonymous 7/7 ratings just as puzzling as anonymous 3/3's. Take neither too seriously. It's just part of a highly competitive game that doesn't appeal to everyone. If you enjoy online multi-player games against anonymous or pseudonymous opponents, you might enjoy the TRP game (Top Rated Photos). Otherwise, keep your sanity and find another method.

2. When you offer constructive criticism and comments on others' photos, eventually it will generate interest in your photos and some folks will reciprocate. This method works very well when you can cultivate an informal group of like minded people who enjoy this aspect of photo.net.

3. Discussion forum loudmouths like me tend to attract a few nibbles from folks who wonder what sort of photos could come from the mind of a guy who spouts so much drivel (20k+ posts in 10 years). Again, beware. This approach is not for the faint of heart. But my attitude is that any criticism is good criticism, all ratings are equally valid and anyone who offers feedback is okay by me.

For most folks, I'd recommend #2. Don't submit your photos for ratings. Participate heavily in the critique and comments. Don't actively solicit reciprocal critiques and comments, but wait patiently. They will come.