How do YOU ask a subject if you can take a picture of them?

cole_cyccone

I don't understand this ask them first scheme...I mean if one is shooting the street genre, won't asking first mean the picture is not candid, and contrived? The best street I've seen are candids, and not poses. So then what if you want a candid of someone? In this regard, the last thing one would want would be a pose, yea?!?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>> I don't understand this ask them first scheme...

Did you read the Subject of the thread: "How do YOU ask a subject if you can take a picture of them?"

It wasn't: "How do I shoot candid photos?"

>>> In this regard, the last thing one would want would be a pose, yea?!?

No! It depends what your objective is. Some people only shoot candids (for several reasons, including being shy). Some ask.

And some snap people without asking permission, but shoot in a way that's certainly not candid - Gilden is an example. Why limit

yourself. Personally, I enjoy using all methods.

There's a lot more to photography than sneaking hip shots walking down the streat...

www.citysnaps.net

• 9 months later...

<p>I'm usually shy and my voice isn't well heard, so I tend to casually take a picture as if they approved it, but I really like many images I see before the person is aware I'm taking a picture. One method I've seen but haven't tried is to look like a pro photo journalist type, with the photo vest, lots of gear, etc... and act like you're on assignment taking pictures all around. Then people just shrug their shoulders and move on. Obviously you can't walk around like this everywhere. Today Some people had a cute puppy at a kids' baseball game. I missed the main shot I wanted with the very large guy (in comparison to the puppy) holding the leash next to this tiny puppy, but I still got a few good ones in of how playful he was. People won't question taking pictures of pets.<br>

Another method I use is when people are moving, you get an idea of when they'll be in your shot, while aiming at something else -- hoping they won't stop in order for you to catch what they think you're taking a shot of.This worked well for me overseas with groups of people dressed oddly in support of their favorite futball (soccer) team.</p>

• 1 year later...