Adorama Kudos and USPS Disdain

alisa_stieg

I know I already mentioned in a previous post that I took advantage of the Gear-up Rebate offered by Pentax in July,

but I wanted to just let you all know of my great experience with Adorama camera and why they will retain my

customer loyalty;

I ordered my camera on the 18th and received it on the 23rd. When I took it out to play, I noticed a vertical black line

running through every one of my images. I called Adorama and they called UPS to have it picked up. When I

mentioned that I needed a replacment ASAP (for the wedding), they offered to ship me a new camera via next day air

at no charge to me. They would then credit my account upon receipt of the malfunctioning camera.

So, good to their word, they sent me another new camera, but then I had another problem. According to the Pentax

rebate, all the items have to be on the same receipt. Since there were new SKU numbers involved, they sent me (via

email) an updated receipt reflecting the new camera as well as the flash I purchased. I called the Pentax rebate

center about the fact that the receipt had been printed out on my computer and got the ok to send in the whole

shebang, so off it went in the mail, just 5 days under the 30-day deadline.

TODAY, I received my rebate information back in the mail, stamped "Customer Refused". The USPS said that there

was ONE CENT postage due. Why?! I have absolutely NO IDEA! The stamp was a normal old stamp, the envelop

didn't weight much more than a regular envelope, but for whatever reason, that ONE CENT has cost me ONE

HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS!!!

I AM SO UPSET!!!

(Yes, I'm yelling. No, it's not doing any good.)

*sigh*

That sucks...Adorama is a good company, and I enjoy buying from them, never an issue.

As far as the rebate, if you missed my joyful rant, I got $110 back from Sandisk after mailing the rebate in several days post rebate expiration.

Not only did I get the rebate, but I got it faster than most people (almost exactly 4 weeks).

So as I spend the last of my $110, I will think of you!!

Seriously though, that really sucks about the USPS deal, I generally send my rebates certified mail. You have to go to the post office to do this but it is worth $3 to ship it off and get a PDF that shows me it was delivered. Then if there are any problems I simply mail the PDF and my copies back in.

When dealing with enough money to be upset over, I figure $3 (actually $3.80 I think) is money well spent.

I've seen a lot in the media lately about rebate ripoffs.

I was denied my first round with Sandisk (they said I didn't send them the UPC bar codes) which I had.

I sent them a nasty letter with the copies of everything and I finally received the rebate.

Alisa, sorry to hear about your issue. Interesting that Dave had the same issue. Makes you wonder.

BTW, when using the rebates (mine is for B&H Photo), do you have to make an order by mail order or can you

somehow do an online purchase?

So was the stamp really "old" and thus not enough postage; or was did USPS goof? Is the stamp a forever stamp or one thats got the last years price?; many look the about the same. <BR><BR>Since rebates work by errors dropping the batting average down; rejecting "postage due" must be the rule; since they also reject late entries too; and ones that are postmarked too late if they go by the postmark date.

The postoffice simply returned your mail to you when the rebater declined paying the additional cent.

It sucks, no doubt. I've paid the extra pennies due for mail sent to me with insufficient postage so I'd blame the

rebate company since they rejected it on their end and post office simply returned it to you.

I've gotten almost $1,000 in rebates this year, all instant & on the spot saving me exactly 18% on equitment in 2008.

You know at time of purchase if you're saving the money. It was the extra motivation I needed to continue to buy

more and save more. Maybe Pentax will encorporate the instant money off scheme instead of paying a separate

company to send money to customers who dot the i's and cross the t's properly.

I hope it turns out well for you. Good Luck

Lindy

Alisa

Just to let you know, that I have asked our Pentax buyer to see if he can 'pull any strings' at Pentax. I absolutely can't promise anything at this point, but we will do our best for you. (BTW thank you for your great review of Adorama - we really appreciate it, & hope that we can continue to be of service to you)

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Wow Helen! Nice to know that someone from your company is reviewing this forum and cares enough to lend a hand! You really go above and beyond!

And just to keep everyone informed of the status of this situation, here's the email I sent using the information for the Pentax Rebate Center that Doug provided above:

Sadly, I have received the ONLY return envelope using the stamps I've been using for several weeks from your rebate center, for what was apparrently ONE CENT due. I purchased my camera on the 23rd of July, sent the rebate in on the 19th of August, and received it back on August 29th. Is it too late for me to send this rebate information in? At this point, a one cent problem has cost me $150.00 (I purchased a flash and a camera). In the last year, I have purchased only Pentax products and have spent an excess of $2500.00 in the process. I will be curious to see if Pentax is interested in keeping me as a loyal Pentax user by doing the right thing. If I had been getting envelopes back with postage due prior to this, I would understand. But when this is the ONLY thing I've gotten back, I've really got to wonder here...

And here is the response I got...

Dear Pentax Consumer:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the status of your rebate. Unfortunately we have been unable to locate your rebate submission in our system. However, this should not be cause for alarm.

If you have already mailed your rebate submission please allow 30 days for your rebate to be entered in our system before making further inquiry of your rebate submission. If you have not yet mailed your rebate submission, please mail your rebate form along with all required items to the address listed on the form. Your submission must be postmarked by the deadline specified on your rebate form.

The status of your rebate is also available through our website! It may take up to 72 hours for your rebate to appear on our website after your record is entered in our system. Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns and we will be happy to assist you. When responding, please be sure to include the past email with your reply to prevent any delays in assisting you with your request.

Thank you for contacting rebatestatus.com.

Customer Contact Center

Phone: 1-888-314-9903

USA Fax: 1-480-606-4313

Canada Fax: 1-905-734-9955

http://www.rebatestatus.com

mailto:customer.service@cs.rebatestatus.com

Starlynn Venditti

They didn't even read it! This is just an automated response. HOWEVER, it does say that it has to be POSTMARKED by the date indicated (meaning 30 days from purchase), which it is. I'm going to print all this off and put it in a NEW envelope and mail it off. I'll let you know what happens!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Aliza

Sorry it has taken a long time, but I think I'm getting somewhere - I need you to contact me directly: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com, as I don't have your order number so can't access your order history at Adorama.

My contact at Pentax has asked for your address, phone number and email address if possible, as he proposes to contact the rebate company, & will need your zip code and/or submission ID number to access your rebate information.

Look forward to hearing from you

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Dear Alisa

I am concerned that I haven't yet heard back from you regarding the offer from Pentax to try and resolve this issue for you.

Please come back to me as soon as possible, with your zip code and email address, in order that I can push this along

Many thanks

Helen Oster

Success!!!

I just received this email from Pentax, who have been great at helping resolve Alisa's problem:

"......... this customer’s rebate is currently in process ............a rebate check [has been authorized] for $150.00 with a probable mailing date of 10/23/08.

Helen Oster