1ds MKIII ?

ben_pincus

I need a camera for occasional higher resolution work so I am looking at this model due to its large sensor and MP

I can't say i've ever been that impressed with Canon glass... it has no realy beauty to its fingerprint and I

find it pretty harsh overall but it looks as if if one wishes to avoid the painful and unversatile MF digital

back route the MKIII is the only real route (assuming you dont have $$$$$ for H3D) for larger resolution.

so my question is.. are these bodies reliable ? I heard that there was a focus problem intially and a lot of them

had to get sent back ?

also, 22mp is all very well but do canon make lenses where the extra pixels will actually make any difference at

all over 12/16mp rivals ? ... or will i just be just like blowing up an image that is already lacking in detail

and microcontrast etc..?

I would need a 21mm to a 70 or 80mm and then maybe a longer telephoto zoom at around 100-200mm

If you want, you can always slap a Leica lens on it and bath in the superiority and "glow" of the Leica generated images.

In fact you can slap just about any lens you like on it - Leica, Nikon, Contax and various medium format lenses if you must.

See http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html for more indo on using other manufacturer's lenses on an EOS.

The AF "problems" were on the 1D MkIII, not the 1Ds MkIII, and they were GREATLY exagerated, affecting only a few specialized sports shooters using tracking AF at high frame rates.

It's DIGITAL so it's ALL in the post processing. Right now Canon's highest res camera is the just announced 5D. People have calculated that across a full frame (35mm) sensor that that would be over 30MP. (15MP times the area difference in FF vs. APS-C)

All reviews of the 22MP 1Ds3 do show higher resolution capture than the 12.7 MP 5D.

Before any of you invest into a 1Ds Mark III you should know what I've been

through with mine! After a 40 minute flight, taking just 335 exposures on

the first time out with the camera, and NO lens changes - there appears to

be a fluid on sensor. Shows up first on exposure # 135.

Sent the camera to Canon, who promised "because it's the high end camera,

and it's brand new, we will expedite it for you and have it back in two

days" ...Laugh - go ahead - I did, when on day five they were not even aware

they had it in their possession.

To make a long story shorter...my camera just came back. When I sent it in

for sensor cleaning, there were 32 distinctive spots. Now, after cleaning,

replacing the top cover, the front cover and a list of other parts, there

are more than 100 spots . Great Job. I'm so happy I invested $8000. into a

new body. When I explained I need the camera for a job I've had on hold

since before buying the 1Ds Mark III, the rep suggested that I "should just go

buy another camera body and then I'd have a back up". I did not bother to

explain how idiotic that suggestion was. Of course I have a 1Ds as back up,

but I invested $8000.00 so I could shoot with a 21 MP camera, not my back

up.

According to Canon, it takes five weeks to get approved as a CPS member, so

Canon says it will take another ten days to go through the cycle again. At

this point, they've had it in their possession longer than I have.

WORST CAMERA BUYING EXPERIENCE EVER

Member comments welcomed.

Regards,

Tim Rudziensky

I find that the Canon lenses have a faint touch of bramble, with well balanced, but woody flavor.

That makes at least as much sense as >>Canon glass... it has no realy beauty to its fingerprint and I find it pretty harsh overall<<.

This is pretentious nonsense, the only benefit of which is that it at least will outrage some of the "go to L" snobs.

Rent a medium format digital camera if you can't afford to buy one. I can't imagine that you'd ever be happy with a Canon "realy".

Tim, we had a batch of 1ds3`s here in brisbane oz that were filthy inside, a friend bought one and took it back while a canon rep in store, opened them all up then took them all back to canon. His new 70 200 2.8IS was just as bad but they sent that back to japan. Someone must have opened the assembly room door during a dust storm. Not good QC for top end. Wonder how the new ZE lenses will go on 1ds3? I doubt you`d see any fingerprints (or do you mean footprint) less you did the printing :)

Tim...

Were you a CPS member before you sent in your camera?

Did you write CPS all over the box you sent in?

I've sent in different canon cameras as a CPS member at least half a dozen times and they've always come back clean... repaired and in great working order. I'm actually surprised to see what you went through as Canon is the only photography company I've dealt with that gives me great response... expedites everything and really goes out of their way to meet my concerns...

You should see Hasselblad Tech support... oh wait... what tech support? Two guys in New Jersey... to cover the entire USA... need to call someone for some technical issue you can't figure out while on a live set... good luck! ;)

With Canon though... never had a problem!

Remember to make sure you have CPS MEMBER written all over your box! Sorry to hear your experience wasn't so great.

You can easily upsize a 12mp or 15mp image to 22mp with virtually no loss in image quality. You may not need a

higher resolution digital camera, just top quality image processing software. Results vary a bit depending of

the software/method you use.

If you REALLY need higher resolution, you REALLY need a medium format camera.

I believe that skillful file editing is more important than the resolution of a camera. What is the application of the file? Did

the Client request a particular file size or have you concluded that it will take a specific size? I would feel very comfortable

using a 5D, 1Ds2 or 1Ds3 for just about any application. If the Client requests an extremely large file then they can cover

the rental cost of an H3 or similar system. Of course, you will need an extra day or two to thoroughly test it before using it.

Ben

You WILL see a difference between the 1Ds Mk III and it's 12 and 16 megapixel rivals... In a professional environment, you WILL see a difference...

Art directors LOVE to crop... 12 megapixels... often even 16 megapixels... no matter how well processed... can turn out to be not enough.... I understand megapixels aren't everything but at this level... they do mean a whole lot....

The 1Ds MK III is the first camera in my professional opinion that can handle 90% of most commercial assignment work.

Canon glass... provided it is L series or prime lenses do a fine job of resolving enough for the sensor....

The bodies are extremely reliable in comparison to any other format I've ever used.

People would like to make you believe that you wont see much of a difference between this and a 5D are just plain wrong (provided you use the proper camera techniques).... from the higher resolving sensor to the 14 bit processing and cleaner noise profile... you'd see a rather sizable difference.... especially in detail, gradations and shadow noise....

Take it from someone that has used extensively all of Canon's professional and prosumer DSLRs in just about every environment, there IS a difference!

But if you really want quality... unsurpassable quality... get yourself an H3DII MS... nothing can touch it... the quality is simply astounding!

"I can't say i've ever been that impressed with Canon glass... it has no real beauty to its fingerprint and I find it pretty harsh overall. . . ."

That "harsh" characteristic of Canon glass is the reality that it so beautifully captures. Canon L lenses in particular give remarkably accurate color, and accuracy is the only "fingerprint" that I want from a lens. Look at flesh tones in particular and you will see what I mean.

--Lannie

Thanks, JDM. I actually read your post only after I had written my first one. Your skewering of lens snobs in the style of wine snobs was classic: "I find that the Canon lenses have a faint touch of bramble, with well balanced, but woody flavor."

I wish that I had read that first--or written it. That has got to be one of the all-time best lines to appear on Photo.net. Thank you for that one.

--Lannie

Owning this camera has been a dream. Enlargements are pretty amazing at 40X60.

I don't agree that Canon glass isn't good. I would suggest that you rent this body and a few "L" lenses for a weekend. You will be pleased with the results. One of the things I found with the 1Ds mark 3 is the Canon lenses are pretty darn sharp and the color saturation is very good. At first I owned the 5D and wasn't happy with the lens results. I thought the lenses were not as good as Nikon. Once I bought the 1DS Mark 3 I couldn't believe the quality difference. It was the camera, not the lenses. I feel the Canon lenses are pretty much equal or better in some cases then Nikon.

I do feel Zeiss lenses are better. I owned Hasselblads for over 20 years and had lenses ranging from 40mm to 500mm. I'm not willing to pay $20,000 for a Hassy digital.

hmm... different manufacturers make lenses differently with different approaches, that makes them render differently

If this is a problem for you the it only serves to highlight that either:

1) you aren't looking properly

2) your eye isn't good enough to see the differences

3) you choose to ignore or deny what you see to justify all the money you spent on a particular system

4) you haven't had enough experience with different lens brands

funnily enough the wine analogy was quite a good one, but of course the fact that it was being used sarcastically

and in anger only displays ignorance on the part of the poster

zeiss, canon, nikon, leica, minolta etc... glass all have different characteristics... it really is that simple.

Its not

'pretentious', its a visible and viable phenomenon which affects your images, and there really is nothing wrong

with an individual prefering this one or that.

Canon doesn't need to have the "best" glass they have other strengths as a brand, in the same way that Leica

doesn't have to have 8fps and hassleblad doesnt need to have the best ergonomics because pros who make 20k a day

DGAF about ergonomics they just have to have the biggest, most detailed and tonally gorgeous images money can buy

etc.. so stop being so defensive and just face up to reality and be HAPPY with what you own. No one system is

"the best".

Castleman's lens tests are always interesting. In this one he compares the Nikon 85 1.4 with the Canon 85 1.2, among others:

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/d80/index.htm

He also tests a lot of Canon lenses on the site:

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/index.htm

One may make of these tests what one will. For my part, I have been very satisfied with Canon lenses, although they are indeed a bit pricey.

There are probably other head-to-head brand comparisons out there but I don't know where they are.

The question of what kinds of results the same lenses give on different Canon bodies is even more problematic for me.

--Lannie