Which is better? ADOX 25 or Rollei 25?

DB_Gallery

I have gone crazy in trying to find more complete information on these two films. I want to ease off on my use of my APX-25 stash and

find a partner film.

So I shot identical scenes with my 500 C/M on both films and developed them in Rodinal, 1+50 for 11 minutes, 20C.

What I found was the following:

Adox 25 is a bit denser than Rollei in the same soup. It is also a bit grainier than both APX-25 and Rollei 25.

But the Adox seems to play well with Rodinal as it was clean and had a hearty emulsion when wet.

Rollei 25 was considerably sharper and less grainy than Adox and seemed less contrasty, gave a better image than Adox, is pretty darn

close to APX-25. But the Rollei had small pin holes here and there and scratched super easy when wet.

I am leaning towards the more expensive Rolleipan 25, but I want to clean it up real good. APX-25 is clean as a whistle in Rodinal.

Any input on this?

As far as I know, both films come from the same production plant in Germany. Both emulsions have therefore also the appropriate parameters in terms of photochemical parameters. However, I think, both providers differ greatly in the quality of packaging. Whose version is better, each user can only decide for themselves. It is probably also the price. For North America, both versions are available from Freestyle.

Cheers

I think both films are produced by the German Filmotec company. The raw material is the same, produced like a modern OrWo NP15 film.

Indeed, the confectioning is different.

In Rodinal they are not bad, better the Rollei PAN 25 is in my soup from Amaloco, AM50 a kind of Beutler receipture. Super sharp and fine grain, indeed.

http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/displayimage.php?album=4&pos=2

Sounds reasonable. I wanted to soup them the same because I have heard that they are actually the same film. It turns out

they are close, but far enough apart to not be the same.

I think I am going with the more pricey Rollei since it is close to APX-25. Funny thing is, I paid only a few cents more a roll

for 60 rolls of APX-25 last year than Rollei is new, makes me realize what a great deal I got on a killer film.

ADOX CHS 25-50-100 = Efke 25-50-100.

ADOX CMS20 is Ortho micro film from Gevaert (Belgium). You need a special developer for it to get iso 12-20 and a normal contrast. Also sold under SPUR Orthopan UR. All these special type developers are from SPUR. For the new Rollei ATP-1.1 Tech Pan, SPUR also made it possible to use this film on a higher iso rate: ATP-DC (Rollei) iso 25-40 with this NEW Tech Pan film. Also this ATP-DC developer is made by SPUR. Certainly recommended!

NP15 (Banse & Grohmann) is a Filmotec emulsion, they are also dealing with Foma raw material and are cutting all photopapers for the Rollei/Maco company (Rollei Vintage = also from Foma, well it's printed on the packing itself!). Fomatone, Fomabrom Variant etc., nice photo papers.

Bergger is also doing some business with Filmotec. Whatever........

Adox is registered worldwide, except for Canada, that's why there is Adox Canada.

Freestyle (L.A.) is selling Efke 25-50-100. They are buying directly from Efke in Croatia. Exactly the same film, maybe the confectioning is a bit different. Single layer films, based on the Dr. Schleussner receipture, later Dupont. It's technique of the 50's. Available in 35mm, 120 roll film and sheet film. There is also an Efke IR820, (Infra Red film). It's a 820nm sensitized Efke 100 film.

Single layer film a doing pretty well in Para-Amino Phenol (Rodinal) or a Beutler type developer (Tetenal Blau/Blue or AM50 (Amaloco). )

Oh, I see where the confusion is coming from. There is a film called "Adox Pan 25" that is only sold in 35mm, that must be what the original post is about and it does seem to be re-branded Rollei. However, my first post is correct with regard to film above that size.

Adox Pan 25 seems to be the same as Rollei Pan 25. Adox CHS 25, 50 and 100 are the same as Efke 25, 50 and 100.

Developing times for the corresponding films should be the same. If you're using a 1+50 dilution, 68F and EI 25, Adox/Rollei Pan 25 should go for 11 minutes while the Efke/Adox CHS 25 should only go for 8 minutes under the same dilution, temperature and EI.

The Efke and Adox CHS films, even at ASA 25, are grainier than the Adox/Rollei Pan 25, but the Efke/Adox CHS 25 and 50 are orthopanchromatically sensitized, so it's more sensitive to the blue part of the spectrum and your grays will be rendered a bit differently. The Efke and Adox CHS 100 are regular panchromatic films. The Ekfe/Adox CHS films are more contrasty tho, at least the 25 and 50 speed versions. I'm not sure about the 100 speed films as I haven't used them yet, but I've heard the

It's been my experience that the Efke emulsion scratches easily when wet, so expect the same thing out of the Adox CHS films. It's suggested to use a fixer with hardener with Efke/Adox CHS, unless you're very careful with the wet emulsion. The Rollei Pan 25 has always held up well, so I wouldn't think the Adox Pan 25 emulsion would scratch easily, but you never know.