Hello there, silly question I'm sure but I have to ask. My Dell laptop is equipt with a 8x DVD+/-RW Drive in other words

is this 8x DVD+R and DVD-RW only? I'm looking to purchase good quality DVD's to burn

Raw files too for storage so any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you so much and have a great day.

the difference between +r and -r are the companies behind them. +r is the camp headed up first by Sony and others (philips, HP, etc., etc) -r is headed up by Pioneer. The big diff is that +r discs can be dual layer. -r can not. At this time at least. But most modern dvd players can read both. me personally, I find that most players can read -r better than +r for movies and such.

If your burning software allows it (most do), set it to verify files the files have copied properly, at the completion of the

burn process. This takes maybe an extra 5 minutes per burn, but can save a lot of problems down the road. Also, go

through the motions of *restoring* the files from a disc to your hard drive, making sure they are not corrupted, still

open ok with whatever program you

use.

Two popular burning programs are Nero and Roxio. Both have their pros-and-cons, neither is perfect, both currently

come in *massive* packages, much of which you will not need. Be sure to use the simple, file copying functions,

which sometimes are buried in there. For Nero for instance, "Nero Burning ROM" is the portion of the overall package

you need for simple disc burns.

BTW, a good place I've found for that "second disc" is at the office.