Is 26 too late to get into photography?

Uhm...

One to consider: while you haven't shot any pictures for 26 years you've seen about 260.000 of them. Some of them good, some of them not. But they taught you a great deal about photography, images and aesthetics.

Now it's time to try to use some of those lessons. Try to remember what kind of pictures you like, admire, dream-away-by and then try to shoot a few yourself.

Kind regards, Matthijs.

Any age is good to start. Depends on your goals. Are you talking about being a weekend wedding snapper and picking up a few dollars here and there? Are you talking about going to college and graduate school and a career in photography? But the answer is no, 26y/o is not to old to start anything. You are so young you are just getting old enough to think. Determine what your dreams are and then follow them with passion and hard work and you will achieve everything and more.

"As I'm old enough to have used film and film cameras regularly before digital came along, I have a sense of loss there as well."

No loss, just shoot film if you feel like it. Medium format gear is dirt cheap nowadays, there's plenty of films available and quality is amazing.

Interestingly I bought my own MF set last year at age of 26. ;)

About 4 years ago, after teaching myself, via books, photoshop to restore old family photos, I ran out of photos to take. I bought a rebel and a kits lens, was not happy so I started buying books and reading, upgraded camera and lens and now have about $25,000 worth of equipment. In photography I found something that I really enjoyed something that I had not had the previous 55 years of my life. Have had three different careers and have always strived to be the best I can be, but no passion for what I did, I figured that if I read a lot, practiced a lot, look at a lot of photos, that by the time I decide to retire at the age of 70, I will be ready to start a career that I truly love.

On a more serious note, as one who has probably not made the best use of my time in the 12 years or so I've been seriously interested in photography: you have all the time in the world, but the thing is to get started and keep at it. It's very easy to get distracted and let another decade pass you by. Believe me the next ten years of your life will pass as quickly as the past five. I don't know how it's possible, but that's the way it is, as anyone in their late 30's will tell you.

There is a story (it might even be true) about a time when Napolean Bonaparte decided that shade trees should be planted along the major roads of France, so that the French infantry could be moved more quickly in the summer heat. His advisors pointed out that it would take 25 years for newly planted trees to grow large enough to provide any useful shade, to which he replied "well then we haven't a minute to lose."

Talk about timing; this from NPR yesterday:

"In January 2007, media the world over noted the passing, at age 96, of Momofuku Ando, the inventor of instant ramen. When I found out that Ando's funeral would be held at a baseball stadium in Osaka, I used frequent flier miles to get there. Everyone there was in black suits and ties.

The funeral included speeches by prime ministers and chanting by the monks, but there were also goodie bags. Each attendee received a five pack of Chikin Ramen, a container of Cup Noodles, and a book of Ando's famous sayings. I happened to be struggling over whether to begin a career as a writer. Then I read the first saying in the book: "I invented instant ramen when I was 48 and Cup Noodles at 61. In life, there is no such thing as too late."