America before WWII, in color

kennfd

I found a web site that features pictures taken during the Great Depression. The photographers are part of

the Work Projects Administration.

The pictures are in color and really present a different view of America than we usually see. Maybe it's because

I am used to seeing pre-WWII pictures in B&W that the color images seem so powerful to me.

http://www.tom-phillips.info/images.a/life.in.america-before.ph.htm

Remarkable images. At the time, I suspect they were not. Because of the passage of 80 odd years, they provide a window to the past. I shoot a lot of unremarkable images in my own county and give them to the historical society. In another 80 years, maybe someone will find them remarkable too. Thanks for posting the link.

'Actually, a lot of them, unfortunately mostly uncredited, are FSA, not WPA.

'He traveled quite a bit, largely for his job assessing businesses for Standard Statistics, a precursor to Standard & Poor.'

'An interesting comparison is Cushman's color images of Chicago in the late 1930s and early 1940s with the black-and-white images of the same city—sometimes the same neighborhoods—made by the Farm Security Administration (FSA) photographers around the same time [5].'