Trix 400 ISO - no pushing, no pulling - what time?

Hi

Starting this thread as I am digging through the forums, 10 pages and I am dumb or blind, but can not find

anything like an answer to the simplest question: What time should I use for trix film, exposed @ 400 ISO, with

Microphen? (1:1 soup).

I am asking as everybody here asked 10 times about pushing or pulling, exposed for 800, 3200, some even 6400 or

more - but no 400 ISO found here.

I went to the park with a beautiful girl, I shot some photos, exposed Trix for 400 ISo, now I am confussed. I

have never tried trix before so I do not want to ruin this (I used HP5 film only as for now). The only developer

I used for many months is Microphen and I would like to stick to it.

I consulted Lex via email, he said something between 9 and 10 minutes should be ok (depends on contrast and

predominant light, what I understand).

Light was hmmmm, not that very heavy, some shadow, a little clouded sky, most photos won't have contrasty

background as I shot mostly close-ups (rollieflex+rolleinar combo).

If you could tell me about your experience with developing Trix exposed for plain 400 ISo - I would be greatful.

thx in adv.

HS.

Follow the Path of the Perpendicular. On a parallel note, the Massive Dev Chart shows 11 minutes for 500 ISO, so there you have it. On a different plane altogether, you could also go out and get some D76, which is what I would do since I've never used Microphen, and it sounds like these are pretty important picks to you. Of course, D76 vs Microphen could quickly become a circular argument...

If it were me, I'd set my Pretty Girl roll aside. I'd get another roll of Tri-X and shoot test pictures of people at 400. Then I'd cut it into four or five sections (in the dark). I'd develop one as mentioned above (11 minutes) and one at 9 minutes (per Lex) and see which one looks better. If you don't like them, then develop another at less or more time (or even 10 minutes) as you see fit. When you get the results you like, that's your time.

I think personal experimentation is your best bet. And definitely don't experiment on your GOOD roll.

My question was: what is YOUR experience with trix @ 400. If you did not develop it at this speed and have no clue - please, with all the respect, stop writing smart stories. is there anybody who developed trix with 400 iso exposure? anyone? (must be, eh?) :)

I'll go after Lex advice, it is just strange to look at 10 pages of forums and not to see dev. time for nominal trix speed, everyone's trying to do it different way...

ok, thanks, rgds.

Also, what is the point of being testy when someone tries to give you sound advice? I certainly have had experience at developing TX400 to normal contrast, but not with Microphen. I could not give you directly the answer you wanted, but I did as did at least one other tell you how to get it for yourself, which you seemed not to know already.

Patrick - you feel better writing 3 answers in which thhere is no "answer"? Does it make you feel better? I WILL cope with it somehow, do not worry, but please bear in mind, this thread might be red by people searching for same advice (as truly, this forum is full of trixx @ 3200 or trix@6400 "how to" but not for regular 400 ISO). And no, do not worry, I have experience with more films and developers, anyway wanted to know answer to the simpliest question I could ask. So, dont be a kid, as I said: "with all the repsect" - please reply to the question, instead of giving "good uncle's" advice. I am not going to make wars here, tell me about your experience, how does it look like, does it come flat or rich in shadows etc etc. - do not tell me how to make a test, I know it already.

thanks

P.S. patrick - I will not reply to another bitter post, reply to the subject or don't say nothing.

cheers.

This thread is closed. I don't ask much but I do expect respect for the suggestions offered by our veteran forum members. When you have a fraction of the combined experience of the contributors to this thread you may then challenge their assertions with some credibility.