Any affordable M mount digitals on the way?

cmonkey

Does anyone think there will be any affordable new M mount rangefinders coming along soon? You'd think VC would

have something for us. I've got my fingers crossed for Photokina. I really want to shoot my Leica lenses on a

digital, but the M8 is too four out there for my pocketbook, and the R-D1 is too hard/expensive to find.

Cheryl, I don't really have an answer but I can venture a guess. Used and almost new R-D1s are between 1500 and 2100 dollars. If that one is too expensive right now my guess is anything announced will be more that you want to spend. The most inexpensive choice right now is the R-D1. I have hopes, like you that something affordable comes along but I may be getting an R-D1 in the future.

Thanks Mike. That's all I was getting from my Ouiji board too, but it seems like a 10Mp from Epson, VC, or someone would be a winner. The R-D1s prices are okay, but for a used 6Mp body, it's a little steep. Just looking for something better, faster, cheaper.

Affordable, what's that? In relative terms, TVs are a lot cheaper today than they were 30 years ago. So are airfares. But we expect to pay

less then groan when quality falls short. Compared with all top pro cameras (Nikon, Canon), the Leica M8 is well priced. A cheaper M-

mount digital from Voigtlander? Unlikely, I'd say. I still reckon a compact Leica mini digital with manual control (like a digital CL) would be a

good idea.

Nobody is expecting any kind of DFR Jim. Read my post. "Not a good solution..." is what I said. We do know there will be a short (20mm give or take) flange to sensor distance. This will invite all kinds of crazy adaptations of lenses to this mount, even homemade contraptions. Thats if they don't rig the camera so that the mounted lens has to "talk" to the camera for it to work.

Josh wrote: "I would place a sizable wager that we will never EVER see another digital RF from Epson or VC."

Well, never is a long time, Josh, and neither Epson or Cosina has thus far given us any reason to expect another digital RF. Still, you would think they would notice the ongoing interest and enthusiasm, correct a couple of shortcomings, and come out with an enhanced model. A few more pixels; fix the hot-pixel problem; and a more reliable reangefinder, and they could have a runaway best seller.

The last two days I've been discovering that my D-200 back focuses with both Manual and AF lenses. It's bad enough to cause problems at f/1.4 and f/2 with a 50mm lens. Never noticed a problem with the 20-35mm AF-D zoom, but when I tried a wide-open shot with the 50/1.4, I found the focus to be less than accurate, whether I focus using the screen, or rely on the focus confirmation. It's making me wish I had an R-D1 instead. You can't beat a rangefinder with short to normal lenses!

Josh

I would think that with the energy Cosina/Voigtlander has displayed in providing us more of these beautiful lenses for reasonable cost, and continuously (keeping in mind the latest releases), they would be the first out with a suitable digital rangefinder using the the ever evolving technology coming to pass seemingly daily.

They, of all people seem to be the ones to achieve milestones in affordable, quality photo gear.

Bob

I think both Zeiss AND Voigtlander see enough customer base to feel like stepping into the digital rf market with

prices roughly two thirds and one third of what a new M8 cost. Both seem to produce M-mount lenses pretty much

full throttle. Yeah, Japanese market and all, but still, to me at least this wouldn't make much sense if they

weren't to provide digital solutions as well very soon. Both companies have the money to buy the sensors from

whom ever - of course with offset lenses required for rf-lenses they will neither come cheaply nor full-frame...

Soon Fotokina will shed some light on this. My guess is a Xmas model from Zeiss beneath a M8Mk.XY.

Beyond our myopia as rangefinder fans, I would be surprised if there is sufficient market for a DRF for either of these

companies to invest in the R&D to bring one to market. CV's CEO, as has been noted, has said he has no interest in

digital. The RF market is tiny. Leica is in the DRF market not because they want to be, but because they have no choice.

They are basically a one-trick pony. The M mount RF.

There will very likely be a 4/3 (think Leica CL meets Canon G9) M-mount camera at Photokina. The 4/3 crop factor reders an effective focal length at 2.00:1. In other words, a 21mm lens becomes 42, a 50mm lens becomes 100, etc.

But there is always a refurb M8, which will save you about $1,700 compared to new. These carry a 12-month Leica warranty instead of 24. Still not cheep, but everything is relative.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<i>"There will very likely be a 4/3 (think Leica CL meets Canon G9) M-mount camera at Photokina."</i>

<p>

I'm not sure what you are basing this statement on. But just for fun, let's say it is true. Most people wouldn't see it as a very good solution to their "digital for my m-mount lenses" problem. UNLESS, they also came out with a set of affordable 4/3 fast 24/35/50 (in 35mm equiv) focal lengths and had a decent way to manually focus the older M lenses. Then I can see people jumping in as a dual purpose thing. A "next gen RF" type of camera that can also use older Leica glass.

<p>

Personally, I'm not sure it will happen. But its still far more likely than Epson or CV ever releasing an RD2 as far as I am concerned. And probably more likely than Zeiss creating a digital RF.

"My crystal ball is in the shop, so I checked with my Magic 8-Ball. First it said, "Reply hazy, try again." Then it said, "Outlook

not so good." The third try resulted in, "My sources say no." But it is just a ball off plastic . . ."

Ha ha ha, that's funy.

But the original ones were a ball of glass. I guess that's a metaphoric statement of some sortl.