Sigma 70-200mm, Tamron 70-200mm or Pentax 50-135mm? None of the above.

shots worth sharing

As some of you know, I've been agonizing over this for a while now. The problem is that the lens I want (a

reasonably compact, fast 100-200mm zoom with reliable AF and stellar optics) doesn't exist. I'd gladly(ish) drop

a grand for such a lens (or a 135mm prime with similar characteristics) but won't lay out +/- $800 USD for a

compromise. The DA 55-300mm looks like it may be a better, and more reasonably priced, compromise for my

purposes--sacrificing build and speed for compactness but still stepping up a bit from the Tamron 18-250mm in

terms of optics. Whaddaya think?

Dave,

Of the 3 listed, only Pentax DA*50-135mm is available. The other 2 are very iffy.

Tamron is supposed to be out in August but there are indication that it won't be until 09.

Forget the new Sigma at least for this yr. Only those lucky few like Peter have got the older nonmacro Sigma 70-

200mm which obviously is coveted in ebay.

Seems there are recently a lot positive users feedback on the DA* lately. So if that FL range is what you want, the

choice is apparent

Daniel

Dave, I am certainly no expert on these matters but I will say that just this morning I got the latest issue of Pop. Photo. in the mail and it is

their lens review edition. They gave the Pentax DA 55-300 an excellent review. They seemed to be very impressed with it. They list the

street price @ $400, for the money it seems like it would be a good fit for you.

aah!

Damn. Now I see the problem.

That's what annoys be about Pentax sometimes, I can't afford to, but if I was with Canikon I could if the need arose get my hands on more or less anything - without paying FA* prices for 10-year old purple-fringey glass...

I think the 55-300 makes sense Dave. All the images we've seen from it are very good. I think quality wise it follows the DA16-45 heritage and that lens (My most used) is great (and I had a DA*16-50 which didn't improve IQ enough to warrant the extra $$).

If the blasted mythical 60-250mm would ever come out you'd have the lens you want and be done with it. 2 years and still waiting. I bet they'd add 30% to the annual bottom line in 2 weeks the day that hits the stores. Everyone is interested or wants that lens, myself included. If it follows DA* quality, I'll be selling my FA*300mm (did I say that in public??)

Thanks for weighing in, Peter. That helps reassure me that--after all those about-faces--this is a reasonable course of action. It's not as fast as I'd like so guess I'll continue to use the 77mm for the indoor venues (sigh--poor me ;~) but I think it'll be good for walkin' around. I'm not sure the 60-250mm would answer my prayers either--for one thing, I'm not expecting it to be particularly compact.

Dave, you might as well get the DA 55-300mm. If you're shooting outside, which I believe you are (it's Clara's Lacrosse, right?), then most of the time this lens will be enough, even at f/8 (which should be its sweet point).

When the new batch of 70-200mm f/2.8s arrive, or the mythical DA* 60-250mm, you can also buy one. I suspect that you'll find that any of these overlap with the DA 55-300mm only in focal lengths, because they will all be a lot bigger and heavier than the DA, and you will find yourself often wanting to have a 200 or 300mm handy but not wanting to lug around some f/2.8 glass, which is when the DA will come in handy.

Yeah, basically I'm giving you the go-ahead to buy *TWO* lenses :-) (Clara's a smart girl, I'm sure she'll get a scholarship.)

And actually, with this acquisition (and maybe that A zoom I'm tracking on eBay), I think I'm pretty much out of the lba club for the foreseeable future. I don't see Ms. Rightlens (described above) or the cash to buy a FA* 600 f/4 on the horizon. But that's ok: with this (these?) addition(s), I'll have a pretty interesting set of capable lenses and the challenge going forward will be decisions about which ones to take with me for various shooting opportunities (and how to con Clara into being my lens caddy ;~).

From what I have seen you do with the 18-250MM I would say stick with what is working so well for you and keep that extra cash in your pocket for now.

I was looking at that 50-135MM but chose the 18-250 based on a lot of good words here and more so your results.

I do not think you will gaining much with the extra 50MM on the long end and loose the wide end.

I am no semi pro like you but I have learned a lot about the way you shoot and think you have what you "need"

If you need to spend some money I have a deed for a little bridge in Brooklyn I can let go for a few bucks...lol

First off, I bought the DA* 50-135 f/2.8 for speed. I even considered the DA* 200 f/2.8, but the DA* 50-135 f/2.8 was significantly cheaper after rebate. I may eventually get the DA* 200 f/2.8, but I have the 50-135 f/2.8 for now. I'm glad too since most of my Alma Mater's games are at night. The DA* 50-135 f/2.8 is consistent and superb at all focal lengths.

Secondly, I have both the DA 50-200 f/4-5.6 and the FA 80-320 f/4.5-5.6. The latter is "faster" than the DA 55-300 f/4-5.8 at the longer focal lengths. I also like the build quality of it. It's a tad bigger, but has a tad more reach. I also still put on the DA 50-200 f/4-5.6 on occasion, since it has nice bokeh and a sub-1m minimum focusing distance -- let alone I got a good sample.