Best Lens for Street on a 5D, zoom or prime ?

jon_kobeck1

Gilden is a hoot!

I met him at the Magnum Photos workshop this past May here in Toronto. My perspective changed completely after

meeting these guys, watching them work.

I was mostly impressed with the new associates working towards being members: Alessandra

Sanquinetti/Chrisopher Anderson. Larry Towell blew me away even though he is a long time member. Really smart

guy, artistic, creative. I could go on and on....maybe a Magnum Forum is in order. Anyway..

Every chance I get I read up on these guys, see their exhibits, find out where been and where they are going.

As for a street lens 35mm f2 is my preference and I end up firing the camera in odd angles, held down at my waist or

hanging from the end of my arm to try and get Guilden's style (though not looking through the viewfinder, more like

aiming the lens). I don't have the nerve to walk in front of someone like he does. Then again, he is in New York

where is seems that type of thing is more possible.

Also, being that he has a Lieca. I'll bet the farm that he has the rangefinder distance set at maybe 5 ft and has to

physically get in that space to take a sharp shot.

He told me he shoots for the gallery with the intention of it going to print. (like everyone else, right?)<div>00QXqL-65091584.thumb.jpg.4817619cb6e38eff41692ee8c56ad88f.jpg</div>

• 1 year later...

<p>I used mostly an EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L, albeit on A Rebel XT (I'd have used a 5D if I had one then) In Toronto China Town (and little of the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5), samples here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/19725722@N06/sets/72157605127224669/<br>

If you can swing 2 bodies then consider the 24-70 or 105 along with the EF-S 10-22 or 17-40 or 16-35. Zoom lenses do have their advantages, and their optical quality is very good nowadays. One of my favourite lenses is the 10-22 because it's so good optically, is very compact, and has a phenomenal wide-coverage.<br>

There is no best lens, it depends on you style. I sometimes like to zoom in to isolate, and sometimes zoom out to cover a lot of ground. Cartier-Bresson used a 50mm because he probably didnm't have many alternatives then, and probably didn't want to change lenses. If he were shooting now, he'd probably be using the 24-70 or 24-105 (I'd say).</p>