Searching for a flash with a low GN, fast recycling time.

marco_buonocore

Hello,

The subject title sort of says it all. I've not had much experience with using flash, but understand the

principles. I'm searching for a small flash to go on my Olympus 35 SP rangefinder camera. Right now I'm using

my father's old Maxwell 303-H, which is okay insofar as the GN is concerned (I get a GN of about 16m at ISO 100),

but it's very slow recycling. Can't fault it, as it's only using 2 x AA batteries.

Is there anything on the market that fits the following criteria:

- Can dial the output down to a GN of 10m or less

- very fast recycling time; ie: 3s or less

- smallish size (I've got a Metz 45 somewhere, but it's ridiculous on the little Olympus!)

The lens on the Olympus 35 SP is fixed at 42mm. My goal is to use the flash at night, shooting subjects fairly

close up (1.5m- 2m) getting a fairly wide aperture and dragging the shutter to 1/30 or 1/15 to get some of the

background detail. I reckon I'll use Kodak Tri-X in a developer like Harvey's 777 (I get ISO 200).

Any ideas? I see a lot of Vivitar 283's on the local craigslist - any chance that they fit the bill?

I appreciate all your help!

Thanks,

In a way, what you want is not really related. A low GN flash is usually going to have a slow recycle time. I think you want a flash that either has more battery for faster recharging, but that takes up more space, so that won't work. A higher GN flash does not mean it will take longer to charge. In fact, unless you're completely discharging it altogether, such as manually, a higher GN flash used at a closer range is going to cycle in a split second. I'd highly recommend you consider another Metz if the one you have is too large. The power management in a lot of the newer flashes is much better than the old timers. Even a Nikon SB400 or SB600 might be an okay size to use. On the other end of the spectrum, you might look into the low-powered ringlights at the major photo sites. They're LED powered, low power consumption, and work mainly for macro work.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. I bought a couple of these from eBay($12.99) to help me with close-ups and macro work. The recycle time is nothing to write about.

Brand NEW

Holga Flash 120 mini

Package Includes:

- Holga 120 mini flash

- English manual

Compatibility

The Holga flash features will work with any manual hotshoe camera. This includes Fed 5’s, Smena Symbols, Seagull TLR’s, classic SLR cameras, and a ton of other photo-jewels.

Specification

Guide Number (ISO 100,m) : 12

Batteries to be Used : AA Type x 1 pcs

Angles of illumination : Horizontal 50 degree, Vertical 40 degree

Colour Temperature : 5600K

Recycle Time : 6-8 sec.

Flash Duration 1/1000 sec.<div>00QT9m-63413584.jpeg.5be093a824b9b706743691d55c4250cc.jpeg</div>

in what universe is 6-8 seconds a fast recycle time? <p>Just get a high powered flash and use it at a low

setting. The SB800 on 1/128th power recycles almost instantly. I imagine the SB600 would too. Tape all the

hotshoe contacts except the middle one (I think) for manual use only, or tape them all and use a sync cord.

<p> I wouldn't worry about looking ridiculous because your flash is bigger than your camera. If anyone is going

to think you look ridiculous, it will be for having a camera that is smaller than your flash.<p>And why do you care

about how you look? if your trying to use this rig to pick up girls or something, you need to completely rethink

everything. Besides, you'll be working in the dark.. right?

Tom,

I think the SB800 would overkill for what I'm doing; it would be utterly wasted, in fact. I'd appreciate the

fast recycling time, no doubt, but would rather resent the $300 I spent to get it.

I'm certainly not fussed about how I look in the field, but if I can use something less cumbersome than a potato

masher then I certainly will. I think something like the Vivitar 2800 that Henry Posner suggested represents a

good middle ground. The Sunpak 383 has also been suggested, which seems to fit the bill.

And for the record, I pick up girls with nothing more than my good looks and charm. I happen to be blessed with

both.

Thanks!