Woodpecker Update XVII (bored yet?)

shots worth sharing

After a week in hiding, the pileated woodpeckers showed up in force this morning (the day after I was forced by

the return of the tenant to abandon my shooting perch on the second floor) in a state of obvious but inexplicable

agitation.

I'm still over-reaching a bit (help is on the way in the form of a Sigma 400mm f/5.6) but with the k20d, the

crops are in the 4-5MP range rather than sub-3MP.

BTW: These guys do tend to stay on the far side of the tree and that behavior seems more pronounced later in the

morning. I suspect that, in addition to skittishness, it's a thermoregulation thing: when they're working hard

(as these were) on a hot sunny day they could very well over-heat (what with black plumage and all.) And/or the

bugs might

migrate to the shady side of the tree as well.<div>00QOdM-61819684.thumb.jpg.d22cfbd80d24be431ec046f0df2c1b79.jpg</div>

The first is 4MP and the second, 4.5MP (the elm is closer and allowed the tighter crop.) I think I should be able to get decent 8x10's out of them.

I should say that, as attractive as these dead trees are to woodpeckers, I'm really sorry they expired. On the other hand that green ash (closer to my vantage point than either) might be, well you know, "expendable." ;~)

good stuff. I bet you could coerce Ann with a rent increase if she doesn't give you the option to permanently put a tripod up in her quarters to get these shots.

400mm Sigma? I think it's time to ask again: Is the will all up-to-date? Especially since we've all agreed on the obit headshot?

Don't worry, Doug--just kidding, I can't recall any spring mushrooms, though, and I have several of those trees.

Thanks, Lisa and Javier. You know this woodpecker thing is very like surf-fishing--watching and waiting, with the

rod at the ready, for the bluefish to show up at the inlet (and when they do, they stay just out of casting range

;~) Still, it's the preparation, observation and persistence that finally pays off.

Dave, yeah, I'm bored, but you brought me back with this enhanced, newer, better, faster, stronger version of Woody the Elusive Woodpecker. Hopefully, Peter's lens will take Woody to yet another whole nuvah level.

I know you'll hate me for this, but here's the competition:

http://www.pbase.com/dougsmit/image/47059162

http://www.pbase.com/dougsmit/image/47037073

"The Competition" uses a Sigma 600mm f/8 CAT lens. I'm sure Gary will find that amusing.

Just thought I'd give you an incentive to kick that tenant out! :-D

Dave, these are very impressive - congrats. Only those who have never experienced it would find it boring, I love it. Here's a funny short

story aside. i recently videotaped a friend's son's wedding but couldn't resist bringing my Pentax along. When I told my daughter that I took

some stills at the wedding, she asked jokingly,"Why dad, were there birds in the church?" Great job, I look forward to more.