dynamic range vs. exposure latitude

Hi. Has been involved in discursion about HDR, dynamic range and exposure latitude in shooting and outputing but

could not come to clear conclusion regarding modern digital cameras. Looked also into tech specs of best Canons

and Nikons but could not find any deffinition. Would like to ask respected comunity for clear explanation on this

matter.

Being not an expert in d-cams I generaly assume that the exposure latitude as term is not used for d- cams but

dynamic range is and values do range from 8 - 9 f-stops in middle class DSLRC as Pentax and Sonny to 1o - 11 in

best Nikons and 12 in Canon 1d as well as in medium and large d formats.

Please let me know what exactly the tech term to describe CCDs property to record image in true tonal range in f-

stops and what are the common values for most used cams.

Thanks Ellis. I understand about DR in bB but interested in f-stops expression.

Can you put it in contest with pro screens, inkjet print and best polygraphic outputs?

Does it mean that today good d-cams, pro screens and printing are capable of 12+ f-stops rendering?

What about pro scanners?

How about this. DR is the range of tones that can be captured inside the exposure histogram, say 10 stops. If the scene

has 10 stop range, there is no exposure latitude for best results. If the scene has 6 stops, there is some exposure latitude

maybe over, maybe under, depending where the graph should be placed on the histogram and where the exposure actually

occurred and how much quality loss you wish to accept.

The camera can record 8 to 12 f stops. Your computer screen can show 8 f stops, your good printer can show 6 t0 8 f stops. You eye (average) can distinguish 10 f stops. These are only approximate but gives you some idea. Is this what you were looking for? Sandy

Yes, Sandy. That was it.Thanks.

I didn't know the numbers for screen and printer and could only guess it for the eye and d-cams.

But I also think of this DR term which come by all the time. The tech specs for Imacon F5, Hasselblad H3D, Canon

1D and Nikon 3d do not mention any dynamic range. Some say they has RGB color deep max 14 - 16, other say 48.

I still shoot film and scan at old Imacon 848 at 8 and 16 bit. Want to figure out where quolity of my scans are in

relation to what one best get from say Canon 1D with view for quolity polygraphic print.

I also sense some misunderstanding if not hostility re my question here. I have no intention to confuse or irritate

anyboby. If my english is not on your level I will rather hope for help and cooperation. Otherwise do not bother.

Regards. -Ilia.

<i>The camera can record 8 to 12 f stops.</i>

<p>

This is where your comments should stop because there is basically no connection between the exposure latitude in

a scene and anything the other side of capture.

<p>

<i>Your computer screen can show 8 f stops, your good printer can show 6 t0 8 f stops.</i>

<p>

The concept of stops doesn't mean much here. You are, at best seeing a range from pure white to pure black that

you've mapped an image to, end of

story. The only variable that can really change here is the contrast ratio.

<p>

<i>You eye (average) can distinguish 10 f stops.</i>

<p>

Your eye can only do about 6.5 stops with a static contrast ration of about 100:1. Through a combination of

adjusting the iris and adjustments in retinal chemistry, an effective range of about 20 stops is possible with a

1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. Although achievable its neither linear nor simultaneously.