Amteur to full-time Pro in 1.5 years?

I was talking to a guy in LA that said he went from just starting out part time, model portfolio-editorial

photographer to full time job with his own studio space in 1.5 years. I just wondering if anyone on these boards

has had a similar experience or knows of one. Because if I could become a full time photographer in 2 years..... :D

I have a friend who did it. He worked his buns off part time including every Saturday and Sunday for a year...no vacation, developed a strong business plan, networked every night and every opportunity he got. He tirelessly marketed himself with concrete examples, joined local Chamber of Commerce & Rotary groups. He had no family to be concerned about during that period, so was a true workaholic. Also, to begin with, he had studied photography and business in school and had a good sense of where he was headed. It paid off for him. Looking back he also credited luck for being in the right place, with the right skill set at the right time.

Knowing how to take snap shots and consistently creating solid images take a good year and a half. It's taken me about 3 years.

That's the easy part. Selling/making a living from photography is another story. I'm still trying to work that one out.

I had a look at you home page and although I'm not a portrait man I think you have a bit more work to do. I'm not being wise ass, just being honest.

I can make images like below any day of the week - now - but no one's going to buy them.<div>00QEqM-58725584.thumb.jpg.b3553f8cdabd6fef3895cfad2a67bbb4.jpg</div>

So basically it's gonna take a whole lota hard work and even then there is no guarantee.

But lets see if I got this straight

<br>

1. No vactions

2. Network like no other

3. improve portrait quailty

<br>

Andy

"I had a look at you home page and although I'm not a portrait man I think you have a bit more work to do."

<br>

I appreciate the honesty I'll take hard critique over a compliment any day. But could you elaborate? Are you think more studio style portraits?

I agree entirely with Andy and Ellis: a (the?) limiting factor in being a successful professional photographer is the business

aspect: having business savvy, a business plan, a marketing plan, and the money and commitment to put those plans into

action.

I have already built a pretty solid fan base through facebook and my church. I started doing weddings

professionally in February of this year and I have booked 4 weddings and am working on closing 2 more.

<p>My business plan so far:</p>

<p>Continue networking via Myspace MM, FB, Flickr, DA, church and local networking groups.</p>

<p>Advertise with Google, and locally thru my church.</p>

<p>Work on website SEO by submitting photos to the above sites and writing articles.(haven't quite figured out

the article thing)</p>

<p>Undercut competition until I have enough word of mouth to raise prices.(my wedding price is between $500-1000)</p>

<strike>Take good photos</strike> TAKE KILLER PHOTOS!

<p>What did I miss?</p>

You say "Advertise with Google, and locally thru my church.". Unless your local church has a couple thousand parishoners, you might want to expand that to include local CHURCHES and SYANGOGUES. Also, you might need some working capital along the way, so definitely include a relationship with your local banker/s.

No. I shoot 2 bodies all the time 28-75mm f/2.8 on a d80 and 12-24mm f/4 on a second body. So I figure that

covers back up camera. I also usually use off camera flash for aisle and cake shots.

<p>This is what I am thinking for pricing plan.</p>

<br>

<p>Petite Coverage:

All high resolution digital negatives on CD delivered 2 weeks after wedding

Online gallery of your wedding day to share with friends and out-of-town viewers.

* My unique and professional Post-Processing

<b> * 6 Hours of coverage

* $500</p></b>

<p>Basic package

Online gallery of your wedding day to share with friends and out-of-town viewers.

<b>* 8 Hours of coverage

* $700</p></b>

<p>Deluxe package:

<b> * 10 Hours of coverage

* 1 hour engagement session

* $1000</p></b>

<br>

<p>A second photographer maybe added to any of the above packages for $200</p>

<br>

My logic is price low till supply meets demand then raise it proportionally. <br> what do you guys think?

Do you really want to become a full-time wedding photographer?! Well, go ahead, I won't step into your playground. Your pricing seems really reasonable, for someone starting up and trying to gain customers. All that talk about business and business and business plan and money, well - sounds so american... You know what you want to do, you have an ok equipment to start with. I'd concentrate in photography, let your work speak for you. I have a university degree in marketing and I've worked as an assistant to other photographers, plus worked on my own and the best marketing is to offer a good product, polite service and the word will go around. Though, I'd suggest you to take some extra courses of photography and post-processing. Your pictures are good, but there is still the extra step to take to make them look really proffessional. Good luck.

Actually I would rather be a full-time model portfolio photographer. but ya know gotta go where the money is. :D

<br> I understand what you are saying about the focus should be on photos. But the truth is I know some very

mediocre photographers but great business men that book 20-35 weddings a year. With that said I didn't just wake

up one day and decide to go pro. People saw my work and asked me to shoot their wedding, portraits and other

projects so here I am 8 paid weddings later, Trying to figure out hour to turn that into 40. <br> Improving the

quality of my portraits is on the top of my list. I hate mediocrity!