Developing Adox CHS-50 in Rodinal

The thing about Rodinal is that it exhausts very quickly upon exposure to air. The constant agitaton afforded by, and the small amounts of developer used by, the Jobo processor make the combination sound less than promising. By all means, give it a try with Rodinal in a manual tank and keep the agitation to 10 seconds per minute. It should be a pretty good combination. Rodinal works well with slow films, and ADOX 50 qualifies as an old technology, slow emulsion.

I'd heard that theory years ago about Rodinal being sensitive to air exposure once diluted for use. So I tested it for myself. The theory appears to be a bit exaggerated.

I mixed a batch at 1:50, enough for one roll, and used it on two successive rolls in a single session, both at normal times. I saw no significant differences, altho' this was a casual test that would reveal only exhaustion, not fine differences.

I returned the diluted Rodinal to another container and used it again the next day. Again, normal times. It still worked.

It'll probably be safe when used as directed even with an automated processor and continuous agitation.

I developed Adox CHS 25 with rodinal 1+50, 20C at like 8 minutes or something (I got the time from digitaltruth.com)

I don't know about your processing method, but I used a Unicolor tank, rolled it and got some of the most beautiful

negs I've ever seen.

• 2 years later...

<p>I developed Adox CHS 50 in Rodinal 1+40 using Jobo Rotatory Duo Lab by 8 minutes at 20 centigrades grades. I think will be better 7 or 7,30 minutes to avoid over dense highlights. Equal, at 8 the negatives scanned and retouched are very beautiful. I know is an old post but as i did, someone can found this file and learn experiences.<br>

Anyone have experience with how much tolerance have Adox 50 to variations in temperature? I read in some place that is not good to over pass the 24 centigrades. I don't like to use hardener cause the long times to wash the film and the problem to cool the water in summer. </p>