SB-800 i-TTL - How do I configure this mode?

derek_deboer1

Hi there,

I've been reading up on i-TTL and I'm wondering how to configure my D80 to use this mode. Apparently, the D80 is

compatible with i-TTL but I can't figure out how to set it up. The back LCD on the SB-800 only cycles through

TTL, GN, A and M mode.

Does i-TTL only work in wireless commander mode?

I was under the impression that the SB-800 would fire two flashes. I can't seem to find any information on this

in the manual or any other forums.

Thanks

SB-800 when mounted on CLS/iTTL compatible camera it knows to use the iTTL even if it displays TTL. What displays as TTL is actually the iTTL. They just decided not to display the "i" letter.

On CLS compatible cameras when SB-800 displays "TTL" it means and it is the "iTTL".

also display of "TTL/BL" means "iTTL/BL"

"Does i-TTL only work in wireless commander mode? " - you have it the other way around...

iTTL works also with built-in single flash, with a SB800/600 in camera shoe alone without any commanding.

The CLS system used iTTL, and when using commander with remotes CLS flashes, the iTTL is the way how the lens

receives CLS preflash tests from remote CLS flashes, and makes proper exposure determination. All of that is done

during pre-flash time when the shutter is closed.

When the camera shutter opens, final trigger signal is produced, and the iTTL at this time is not involved, as the

amount of light determined few milisecconds earlier is just produces from all finvolved flashes with no alteration or

any measure dutring exposure time.

CLS and iTTl are not quite the same thing.

iTTL is "through the lens" metering. Basically the camera decides, immediately before exposure, how much light the

flash should put out. The have been several generations of Nikon TTL metering and the one dubbed "iTTL" is the most

recent and current version. iTTL is the default mode for speedlights like the SB600 and SB800, as well as the built in

flash on the D80 and D200. I imagine it's that way on the D300 as well. To change the metering mode on the

speedlights, just toggle through them with the MODE button.

CLS is a feature of the iTTL system that allows speedlights to be triggered remotely without use of wires or third party

slaves (triggering devices). CLS needs a "master" unit to tell the other "slave" units what to do. The SB800 speedlight

and the on-board flash of the D80, D200 and D300 can all operate as masters, but you need to tell the system which

speedlights are masters and which are slaves. The Nikon term for slave is "REMOTE" and for master is

"COMMANDER".

To set your built-in flash as a master got to MENU -> Metering and Flash -> Built-in Flash -> Commander Mode. From

there you can customize the flash output if you'd like. The built-in flash can set output for two difference groups of

flashes simultaneously (Group A and Group B).

To set your SB800 for CLS, hold down the center of the rocker switch for several seconds until it goes to a new screen.

Scroll over to the icon that looks like two flashes "talking" to each other. Press the center of the rocker switch again.

Select MASTER or REMOTE from the menu. There are a few more options to set with the SB800, so hopefully you'll be

able to figure them out from here. (It's fairly straightforward.)

PS - I did this all from memory, so hopefully it's reasonably accurate ;) But if it's not, well, that's why I don't bother with

CLS anymore.