What's in your camera bag?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think i ever pack the same, every time i go out its a bit different, either a different type of shooting situation, or new lenses/flash, or who know....

my main day to day bag is a crumpler 5mil packed with a d200, sigma 18-50/2.8, sb600, 105/2.8 vr, and 80-200/2.8 two ring.

if im going really heavy its usually my crumpler, a lowepro pack, and some Rubbermaid containers for cords, batteries, chargers, umbrellas, diffusers, etc.

I only have a Lowepro Photo Runner (belt / sholder bag).

If I travel, std daypack with a D70, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 18-200vr, polariser and a ND filter (solid). Tripod in bag hidden. Casually - Lowepro Photo Runner, with above without the tripod. If I go out at my home city - D70, Sigma Sigma 10-20, Nikon 80-200/2.8 AFD and just my std daypack, tripod hand carried.

I intend to get the Lowepro Primus thou .. I hardly use flash. Most times its 2 zooms or 3 or 4 primes. If I travel for a few days in the past I took one battery only without the charger, I intend to carry a few batteries for a 3 week trip and try to wing it without it too ... I also am not a high volume shooter.

R.

Just back from a Singapore and Paris trip and took a setup that absolutely delighted me (remembering of course that I am an amateur and relative newbie).

Tamrac Express Pack 8 - in my mind the ultimate small carry-on bag for light camera setup and travel items, also great for city strolling

Velbon Ultra Luxi tripod with QD51Q ballhead - attached to side of pack with custom-sewn quick release elastic straps

Nikon D80

Nikkor 35/2 and Nikkor 85/1.4 prime lenses (35 mounted ~75% of time), lens hood for 85 lens

SB400 flash (used very rarely, almost only for fill) and matching sto-fen diffuser

UV filter onboard each lens, circular polariser carried for each, 3x4GB Lexar cards, cable release, remote control release, spare charged batteries for camera and lenses, lens wipes

In suitcase (not carry around) - chargers, portable storage hard-drive device, sensor cleaner

Am spending a month in Asia starting in August with Olympics and then travels through China and Nepal on the agenda. Am planning to exactly replicate this kit, with the one addition of my 18-200VR for general daylight use and reach. I also have 70-210 and 50/1.4 at home and 80-200 on long-term loan to a friend, but cannot justify taking any of these - after my recent trip the benefits of light weight far outdo the added choices that any of these would give me.

Joe, who is to say what his bag is ? :-)

BAG - from the dictionary . . . not to split f stops.

: something one likes or does regularly or well; also : one's characteristic way of doing things : portable case designed to hold a traveler's clothing and personal articles . . . (Some are soft and some are hard.) Lex is defended squarely. :-) OK LEX ?

My general photo bag: D70, SB600, 17-50mm f2.8, 80-200mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 20mm f3.5, 60mm Micro f2.8, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 Macro, x1.4 teleconverter. Second body is either my Voigtlander Bessa with a 35mm f1.7 Ultron, or my old Minolta XG-7 with a 35mm lens. I also carry instruction manuals, utility knife, gaffer's tape (stuck to the outside of my camera bag), aspirin, sunscreen with bug repellent, push pins, a sheet of aluminum foil folded up, extra batteries for everything, a small metal ruler, mini-mag flashlight, business cards, spare car key, mini-tripod, strofen flash diffuser, 1 extra large heavy duty trash bag (it tends to rain a lot here in Seattle), and an assortment of filters, step rings, and lens hoods. In the trunk of the car there is always a rain coat, a jacket, a tripod, and a red umbrella.

In my Crumpler Brians Hot Tub I have a

Canon EOS 5D with batterygrip

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX HSM

Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Canon 400mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Canon 2xTC

Canon 550 EX flash

Batteries x4

Cards x4

On occasion a notebook

multitool, earplugs, etc. And then I attach a Manfrotto 681 monopod, a Manfrotto 055 Pro B tripod with wimberley head and carry an extra 486RC2 head in the bag.

My bag is a Domke F-1X. Used to carry a ton of stuff but began removing stuff because it was either that or buy a donkey to carry it.

Canon 40D with 28-135mm IS, 70-300mm IS lenses. A 199A flash and a sync cord to run it. Two Tiffen wallets of filters. A Gossen Luna Pro sbc or some other hand-held meter. Various batteries, cleaning cloths, a spare camera neck strap, a can of quarters for parking meters or tolls, a Swiss Army knife, paper clips and sundry little junk for makeshift stuff, a gray card for white balance. And sometimes an old Kodak Stereo camera just for fun.

I've got an old Domke that I bought used for $40. It's built very well and will probably outlast me.

OK this is from memory, I don't have the bag in front of me.

I've got a Nikon D300, a Rolleicord III TLR, Canon A620, Rollei 35T, Yashica T4, and a Canon Elura 100 camcorder. Nikon 16-85mm zoom, Nikon 70-300mm zoom, Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS, Nikon 35mm f2 AI, Nikon 50mm f1.8 AI, Nikon 55mm f2.8 AIS, Nikon 105mm f2.5 K (with factory AI ring installed). Nikon SB-600 flash, Vivitar 285 flash, Nikon TTL cord and a Stroboframe bracket. Various shades and filters and doo-dads floating around in the various pockets.

Which bag? I have one I take everywhere, one that has my flashes and 35mm gear, one with my Mamiya TLR kit, and one with my 4 x 5 kit.

As for the take everywhere, it has the D300 with the 18-70 mounted, a 70-300 VR, a 67mm CP filter, lens cleaning microfibre cloth, D300 manual, memory chips, and a spare charged battery for the D300.

Heh. Mark, I haven't seen a better organized on the go, cash and carry photo system since the old days in Mexico when a guy would take your photo, develop it on the spot and hand you the print within minutes - no Polaroids.

All you need now is a push handle, umbrella, colorful decals and musical theme played over a tiny speaker.

For those who haven't already checked him out, Mark is a sports photographer who has mastered the business end of making it work. I can take photos as well as the next guy but his business model and organizational skills make me dizzy.