flatbed that scans 5 x 4 inch negatives as well

Hi, just wondering if someone could recommend a flatbed scanner that scans 5 x 4 inch negatives and transparencys as well ( as well as

medium format and 35mm ). I have

noticed that a lot of the new ones only go up to medium format size. I used to have an Epson that did this. It is mainly to be used to scan

5 x 4 inch negatives and print them out as contacts ( as I am sick of paying for this at the lab ). Thanks. Kind Regards Andrew

<p>I recently purchased a Microtek M1, and although the first unit I had developed a focusing problem, I was sent a

replacement by Microtek in very little time after reporting the problem, and so far it has worked as expected.</p>

<p>The Microtek has special glass-less holders up to 4x5 format, and a glass tray for anything larger (5x7, 8x10),

although I haven't used the tray.</p>

<p>I've posted some samples mostly from medium format scans on this page:</p>

<p><a

href="http://homepage.mac.com/alex_home/artixscan_samples.html">http://homepage.mac.com/alex_home/artixscan_s

amples.html</a></p>

Yes, the scanner is working as advertised, and produces great scans. I've scanned close to 200 medium format

negatives with the replacement scanner, and focusing is accurate on the first try so far.

I've received an email from another M1 user that has the same focusing problem I experienced with the original scanner.

Microtek support responded almost immediately with an authorization to return the scanner after receiving from me

samples of out of focus scans, but they didn't indicate to me what caused the first scanner to fail to focus after a few

week's use. It's possible that there may be reason to be concerned about the durability of the focusing mechanism, or

possibly it was simply a manufacturing defect that affected a few scanners, and the design itself is sound. In any event,

I know that with my original scanner and one other person's the focusing mechanism did stop functioning, but I'm not

sure how serious of a concern this my actually be considering the possible (unknown) explanations.

Alessandro

• 5 months later...
<p>The focusing mechanism on the replacement scanner has stopped working. It seems a lever or gear is not engaging correctly and is making ratcheting noises. Not that this matters for the North American market, as Microtek has suddenly closed shop and left, but this scanner is available in other markets and it seems to be quite unreliable.</p>