alternate post process

Hello

I am about to shoot fashion/Glamour sessions this weekend, I normally shoot raw (nef) and will share the CD with

all the jpegs to the model.

I will do some PS retouching on some selected photos. Besides my own PS retouching, the model is asking to give the

same jpegs to another person to do alternate retouching in PS, thus having more versions of the same photo...

I will sign a model release.... but I just don't want someone else doing artwork over my photos.. and possibly

claiming for credit / autoring / co-autoring over my work.. I am not sure how should I handle this issue

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks a lot

Ruben Silva

"The customer is always right".

If your customer is expecting/paying-for images to apply further manipulations, then I don't see why you would want to prevent them from doing it.

IMO, commercial photography is all about the customer/client getting the result they want in their final use. The photographer (or graphic artist, or...) is just one part of the total process.

For example, are you going to do output sharpening on the images you give them?

Ellis, thanks.. in this case I agreed to give the model a CD with full resolution jpegs. I think It would be impossible to track each file.. and in the case some "digital artist" do a work over my photos, Do I have any protection?

Geoff: no customer in this case... this is a TFCD we will made just for artistic promotion.

"TFCD" still involves a commercial exchange, "Time _for_ CD". The informal nature of the exchange can cause problems.

"Do I have any protection?" - yes, you have (almost) as much protection as you want. Even in cases of no-fee use I always send a license along with the photos. In most cases it's something very broad, but often I'll limit the use to "promotion of" some specific place or event. You can do something similar when you deliver the photos to the model. In particular, you want to restrict the creation of derivative-works. I've never added such a limitation to a license, so I'm not sure what verbiage you need to use.

The fact that the model is asking about having additional retouching done is a good start. Many times the first inkling of "unauthorized" use is when you see the altered work somewhere. I would talk with the model about your concerns and try to come to some kind of compromise. Perhaps some kind of review/approval of the modified images would be acceptable. Who knows, you might find the person doing the retouching is good at it, and you could work with him/her on future (paying) projects.