B&H Photo shipped wrong item, is it normal I pay for shipping back?

I take it then I can not prove they sent me the wrong item. *sigh*. I ordered item FA-230, the package it came in is stamped FA-220 AND FA-230, but the item actually inside was FA-233. Just a whole mess, I can only think it was a return and someone goofed it up bigtime to have that many mistakes.

You should clarify what happens after B&H receives the item. If they determine the fault was theirs, they should refund the return shipping.

Keep in mind that at this point B&H doesn't know for sure a mistake was made. They will only know when they have the item back in their hands.

B&H once shipped a wrong item to me (in fairness to them, I should state that I've ordered from them many times and they only did this on one occasion). I was told by their customer service person that they can determine whether they sent a wrong item because they always know the weight of what actually got shipped, and the weight of every item they sell, and can compare the two.

It took a couple of weeks to resolve, and the "returns manager" had to get involved. But it was eventually resolved correctly. And they refunded the return shipping as soon as they had looked into it and realized that they really did ship the wrong thing.